Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Tell Don't Show

tamirahamilton
Posts regularly

On the Fall Fashion and Beauty Webinar this week one of the tips that was given was to "Tell Don't Show." I am struggling with processing this as in my world I was always taught to show don't tell. I need a concrete example of how to do this and what it means because it was grazed or brushed over. Sounds like lingo. I get that we want to create savable pins but on every other platform that means educating and providing value and from what was said on the webinar it sounds like we shouldn't post the recipe but tease the recipe for them to save come back to and then visit our webiste. I think that is A LOT to ask and expect. I would rather provide the recipe on pinterest as that is one of the note formats, they save it and when they try it they pull it up. They can visit my website for more recipes or other info. Does that make sense? Is that not what we should be doing. Please help me. I may be overthinking lol. @PinterestAbby  I hope I tagged the correct Abby.

1 Kudo
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
terezatoledo
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Hi @tamirahamilton , welcome to the PBC!
Most of us started sharing our content on Pinterest with the intention of driving traffic to our websites and blog. So we would create content that "teased" the user and directed them out of Pinterest.

But Pinterest has changed and so did the Pinterest user.

As creators, we are being asked to change this "teasing" mindset to a more inspiring, teaching, showing and nurturing mindset. It feels different and even backwards sometimes, but the more we share and give value on Pinterest, the more our audience will engage and want more from us.

In the fashion example, this would mean not just showing a picture of the final outfit, but creating idea pins with a video explaining why and how, or even showing how you put the outfit together.

In a recipe this would be sharing the whole recipe in the idea pin, instead of just a picture of the final result telling people to go to the website to get the recipe.

By showing how, instead of just telling what, you will be providing a more complete and fulfilling experience to your audience. You will be nurturing them and giving them a reason to follow, engage, save and look for more in your website.

This will help you grow within Pinterest and build a loyal audience. You still should create standard pins linking to your website, but you should invest in creating idea pins that give the audience a more complete experience without leaving the app.

Creators and business are seeing great results with this practice.

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 Kudos
3 Replies
terezatoledo
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Hi @tamirahamilton , welcome to the PBC!
Most of us started sharing our content on Pinterest with the intention of driving traffic to our websites and blog. So we would create content that "teased" the user and directed them out of Pinterest.

But Pinterest has changed and so did the Pinterest user.

As creators, we are being asked to change this "teasing" mindset to a more inspiring, teaching, showing and nurturing mindset. It feels different and even backwards sometimes, but the more we share and give value on Pinterest, the more our audience will engage and want more from us.

In the fashion example, this would mean not just showing a picture of the final outfit, but creating idea pins with a video explaining why and how, or even showing how you put the outfit together.

In a recipe this would be sharing the whole recipe in the idea pin, instead of just a picture of the final result telling people to go to the website to get the recipe.

By showing how, instead of just telling what, you will be providing a more complete and fulfilling experience to your audience. You will be nurturing them and giving them a reason to follow, engage, save and look for more in your website.

This will help you grow within Pinterest and build a loyal audience. You still should create standard pins linking to your website, but you should invest in creating idea pins that give the audience a more complete experience without leaving the app.

Creators and business are seeing great results with this practice.

I hope this helps.

2 Kudos
tamirahamilton
Posts regularly

I get that and that is how I have always understood show don't tell but we were specifically told to not show and just tell. so IDK

0 Kudos
tamirahamilton
Posts regularly

For probably at least a year if not longer I have basically solely produced idea pins. I have created 2 static pins and a video pin at the direction of the challenge for the creator academy. Creator Rewards which I am part of only pays on Idea Pins. It is almost as if the pinterest teams are not on one accord. It is very confusing.

0 Kudos