Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

How Do you Deal With Stolen Pins?

ramshacklepantr
Just visiting

Some ignore them. Some report them. What do you do?

All I know is that there are oodles of non-fresh pins that have my image and go to wonky URLs. I do believe Pinterest has gotten better about catching some of these, but still an issue. 

It would be awesome to hear how you all deal with it, why... or maybe you don't deal with it at all and are ok with it?

6 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
theburntsunsetnovel
Loves to help

I've decided to ignore them for now. I place a logo on the bottom of almost all of my pins and have seen it cropped off. I have developed overtime as an artist, producing better text and drawings and my view of the characters in my novels has also evolved. It bothers me more that pins I have deleted or whole boards that I have deleted still show up as pins in other users feeds. I wish that deleting something that I posted would delete across all of Pinterest. It's not the same problem, but it could be solved by the same solution. We should be able to say to Pinterest this pin is no longer valid or it has been posted without my permission, please take it down. With that said, I'd rather spend time creating than searching for old pins or stolen pins. 

View solution in original post

5 Kudos
14 Replies
kidsparkz
Just visiting

This has been a problem for me for a long time. I tried redirecting them back to my site - I couldn't find a way.  I tried reporting them - nothing changed.  I tried asking admin for help several times, but was told that it is not possible for others to redirect our pins (!) or received no answer at all.  I have given up, and have avoided looking at all the unsuitable sites some of my older pins are redirecting to.

2 Kudos
theburntsunsetnovel
Loves to help

I've decided to ignore them for now. I place a logo on the bottom of almost all of my pins and have seen it cropped off. I have developed overtime as an artist, producing better text and drawings and my view of the characters in my novels has also evolved. It bothers me more that pins I have deleted or whole boards that I have deleted still show up as pins in other users feeds. I wish that deleting something that I posted would delete across all of Pinterest. It's not the same problem, but it could be solved by the same solution. We should be able to say to Pinterest this pin is no longer valid or it has been posted without my permission, please take it down. With that said, I'd rather spend time creating than searching for old pins or stolen pins. 

5 Kudos
AmericanoCrystals
Problem-solver

This is one of my main problems on Pinterest. As a team we work so hard on our pin quality but some people steal it and use without any permission. First I try to connect those people professionally and warn them about the issue. If they don't delete it then I report them to Pinterest. Pinterest usually deletes these stolen pins if you hav the prove that this pin originally belongs to you. Hope it helps.

2 Kudos
unlimitedmama
Just visiting

I report it as copyright infringement. I work hard on my pins, and some of them have my families faces on them. I do have my logo or website name on every pin, but I don't appreciate when someone steals the pin photos and uploads them, directing my potential viewers to some spammy website. I feel like that makes my business look bad. When I report them, Pinterest always has them taken down within a few days. 

6 Kudos
janicemartin940

ditto everything unlimitedmama just said! I had to report a couple dozen pin infringements to Pinterest over the past month (their form is easy) and all were taken down immediately. Thank you Pinterest!

1 Kudo
sweethomelife
Just visiting

I don't do this that often, but basically I search for terms that are keywords for my top posts. Then I probably look at a 100 pins for that term and check any of "my" pins and make sure no one has stolen them.  If they are stolen, I report them. It's pretty easy to do while watching Netflix in the evening once a month or so!

1 Kudo
livinglocurto
Just visiting

This is a HUGE issue here on Pinterest and can get overwhelming, especially when you see hundreds of your own photos with ugly text overlays linking to spam websites. I will block off days on my calendar and spend all day reporting pins and accounts who steal my photos for copyright infringement. It's a huge time suck, but it's our job to keep track of this if Pinterest can't. Otherwise the spammers will take over. It's definitely disheartening to see what lengths some spam sites will go to. If someone features my photo, does not copy my content and provides a link back to my website, that's a different story. I'm talking about the fake accounts and websites that have no real content, only copy your content or have ads all over them. 

1 Kudo
SimplySharingLife
Just visiting

After three years... I ignore it.   

BUT ALWAYS put your logo/name on ALL your pins. 

They may redirect your pins but your sig is on them.

0 Kudos
MomSkoop
Just visiting

I file DCMAs daily on both my own pins and my clients. Pinterest has to remove the DCMAs when we file them. I do report spam accounts that take over a certain amount of pins. One of my clients had over 100 pins taken by one account. If you are on Pinterest, having stolen pins is a reality of being on there. It's really up to you and how much traffic you get from there. 

1 Kudo