Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Would love to know how your idea pins are performing based on length?!

beboldwithkatah
Loves to help

Hi! I'm just starting to use Idea Pins and I'm curious if you found better results based on a specific length/time you used?

I am currently testing some out to see what works but was curious about other people's results/thoughts. 

Thanks In Advance!

1 Kudo
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
terezatoledo
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Hi @beboldwithkatah ,

That's such a great question. For me I've noticed that the content matters more than the length. I've seen short idea pins with the content and value delivered immediately performing well right away, but I also seen longer idea. pins that deliver a ton o value doing well.

I'd say that as long as you are able to grab the attention and inspire, they will watch until the end.

View solution in original post

2 Kudos
9 Replies
terezatoledo
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Hi @beboldwithkatah ,

That's such a great question. For me I've noticed that the content matters more than the length. I've seen short idea pins with the content and value delivered immediately performing well right away, but I also seen longer idea. pins that deliver a ton o value doing well.

I'd say that as long as you are able to grab the attention and inspire, they will watch until the end.

2 Kudos
beboldwithkatah
Loves to help

Great! Thank you so much for feedback. 

0 Kudos
JanaOMedia
Marvel

I've experimented with this a bit, too. For my accounts, I haven't seen any correlation between length and performance. Some longer ones do well. Some shorter ones do well. I concur with @terezatoledo

I am going to tag @isabelledias here, though - because I know she has had some success with longer-form idea pins. She came to our Clubhouse Pinterest club about a month ago to share - and her experiences and insights were super-interesting!

One main takeaway: Different things work well for different audiences. (Spoiler alert: Isabelle's audience really loves her longer pins!) 

2 Kudos
hellohomegirl
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

I'm no expert here, but I've experienced more success with either multi-slide pins (think 3-5 slides) or longer duration pins (greater than 20 seconds). That is totally the opposite than what I've experienced on other platforms. What those longer duration of slides have in common is that they are informational, which is why many folks come to Pinterest -- to research and get ideas.

I believe that is the reason why our awesome Pinterest Pioneers are saying to focus more on delivering helpful and informative content. Also, I'm a DIY home decor and renovation blogger, so I believe people search my niche for information on how to do something. It's hard to explain that stuff in 10 seconds. 

Hope this helps!

2 Kudos
isabelledias
Loves to help

Thank you for tagging me here @JanaOMedia!

This is such an interesting journey, and it still fascinates me. But, to be honest, I am still trying to find a definitive answer regarding the optimal length of Idea Pins.

Some months ago, I posted 8+ minutes Idea Pins, some of my best performers ever. A lot of saves, likes, AND comments. This kept happening for a few months. But since last month, I have noticed that very-short-Idea Pins (around 10-20 seconds) are performing waaaay better in saves, and long-length ones are not the high performers they used to be. 

(Side note: I think this has to do with a lot of new heavy users from other platforms migrating to Pinterest, bringing the consumer behavior they had on the other platforms to ours. Maybe they will evolve and become more open to longer-length content, or perhaps the whole game will change. Only time will tell). 

So I think there is no definite answer; it changes and evolves according to what the audience is "feeling." What has been working for me is using the short-length content to attract new followers and create more visibility, and the long-form Idea Pins to deeply nourish my "already-audience."

I hope that helps! @beboldwithkatah 

2 Kudos
beboldwithkatah
Loves to help

For some reason I didn't get notified I had a response until now! But, thank you so much! 

0 Kudos
beboldwithkatah
Loves to help

It does help. Thank you! 

0 Kudos
beboldwithkatah
Loves to help

This does help a lot. Very informative so thank you! 

0 Kudos
mmillerrr15
Posts regularly

Thanks for asking this question - I have been curious about this myself especially while experimenting. My following is still very small (67 for @mmillerrr15) but what I have seen is that my shorter videos get more traction than my longer videos do ie. my unboxing videos. I’d love to hear more about what others are experiencing too! I am trying so hard to grow I want to know what the best length is especially since experts say that videos are the best way to gain traction/saves/follows

0 Kudos