Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Is pinterest even good for traffic anymore?

allaboutbabyblog
Loves to help
Labels (1)

This is the question I have been asking myself for a few weeks now.

We all know there is a problem right now with people getting marked as spam when they shouldn't be.

My domain was flagged as well but still now after having that sorted out and unflagged it isn't what it used to be.
Fresh pins created following best practices and not too many a day do not really bring me much traffic anymore.

I used to get 20 clicks within seconds of uploading a fresh pin - now it is more like 5-10.

This is highly discouraging and makes me wonder if I am wasting my time and should rather concentrate on other ways for traffic like SEO.

It's a bummer since I really like pinterest.

Any thoughts? 🤔

2 Kudos
8 Replies
realsouthamerica
Just visiting

@allaboutbabyblog hi there I just sorry to hear you have had difficulties - we have all been talking about this for awhile and least they have removed flags etc. I have been paying a lot of attention to the SEO not just on Pinterest but also any other social media that I "put out there" to be honest I never used to pay attention but I have definitely stopped doing that. The other things that I have been doing that appear to be working are using the Trends Feature and then modifying my SEO and I have also been creating pins and then running them as ads and not spammy looking ads but nice ads that I believe people want to read and look it - this seems to have boosted my traffic on Pinterest and also on my website big jump. I am not spending huge money but I am definitely reaping benefit in the numbers. I also read Pinterest Best Practices which do help a lot and I definitely do not listen to a lot of people online as I have often found that even with best intentions they don't know what they are talking about and or they are just wrong. The only people I really listen to are the people in this community. Please look at the post link below we have been discussing this and everyone does it differently but all ideas are helpful.

Hope this helps! Lisa😁

@theburntsunsetnovel @foodiehomechef@PinterestGabby @typicallytopical 

Content Best Practices: Creation & Curation 

3 Kudos
realsouthamerica
Just visiting

@allaboutbabyblog PS. Please visit my board if your interested to see what I do.

https://www.pinterest.com/realsouthamerica0427/boards/

Lisa

1 Kudo
allaboutbabyblog
Loves to help

@realsouthamerica Hi lisa thanks for your reply 🙂

I have tried everything you can imagine 😄 SEO and other socials are working fine but Pinterest gave me that little extra boost of traffic every month but now it's not really worth the time I'm spending on creating new pins and putting them out there 🤔

2 Kudos
foodiehomechef
Jack-of-all-trades

@allaboutbabyblogI have to agree with everything Lisa said. I'm surprised to hear that you're getting so much traffic from other social media & not Pinterest.

Pinterest sends me about 90% of my traffic and I get very little from FB, Twitter & so on. If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been on Pinterest? I've been on since 2015/16 and it took at least a year or more before I really started getting some significant results. Additionally I'll say that Pinterest takes a lot of work & dedication, but it's well worth the effort IMHO!

2 Kudos
realsouthamerica
Just visiting

@foodiehomechef @allaboutbabyblog I have been on since end of February 2020 I do have a personal account which I have had since Pinterest began. I have a high monthly view not very many followers but that is okay because I have a good reach. I am like Foodie I get very little from other Social Media Platforms - I would suggest creating one pin and running an ad to promote it linking to a new or current post on your blog try @$5 per day for 10 days and let Pinterest do the targeting for you and just see the uptick in numbers for both your blog and your Pinterest before you walk away from Pinterest. The other thing I might suggest is attending some of the webinars that Pinterest offers to users especially relating to what is trending on Pinterest and the use of visuals to attract those Pinner's. Lisa😁

4 Kudos
theburntsunsetnovel
Loves to help

Compared to last year, it takes twice as much work to get half the results on Pinterest. So at best, as Pinterest grows, it seems to be offering diminishing returns. I'm betting like with happened with TV, the social media market will fracture. Where there are ten big players now, there might be a hundred in a few years. I plan on staying on Pinterest and going after niche sites at the same time. I don't necessarily mean small sites. As an author I'm going to target Wattpad and Goodreads. I call them niche sites because they are essentially only offering one product even if there are many producers. Spending time on sites that are narrowly focused may also help improve your content or give you new ideas and those are the kind of things you can take back to Pinterest. We're in the midst of a boom now and it feels like Pinterest is struggling with spammers, software updates, and having enough service personal. I wouldn't count them out, but it's time to start looking to the future and putting together a back up plan. Everyone on this forum seems to be struggling with the Pinterest's growing pains. There's a chance they won't succeed. Remember MySpace, Google Plus, and Vine? Even TikTok nearly failed as Musical.ly. My kids had given up on it until the merger and relaunch. My advice is to keep expressing concerns to Pinterest but also look for ways spread your ideas in smaller markets or in narrowly focused sites.

2 Kudos
foodiehomechef
Jack-of-all-trades

@therealsouthamerica Great advice Lisa 🙂

3 Kudos
realsouthamerica
Just visiting

@theburntsunsetnovel hi there you have made some excellent points 

the social media market will fracture

going after niche sites

My advice is to keep expressing concerns to Pinterest but also look for ways spread your ideas in smaller markets or in narrowly focused sites.

I am like you in that I am focusing on smaller markets and also up and coming markets in my case those who are moving to South America or traveling for an extensive amount of time and I am already getting feedback from those who are planning to do either within the next year - feedback is coming from smaller more intimate sites with more communication and more visibility. However, there are some that are coming from Pinterest directly based on what I have created and posted thus far.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! P.S. I really liked Google+ I enjoyed that Lisa😁

3 Kudos