Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Why so few impressions?

baldmountainbotanicals
Just visiting

I'm launching a new e-commerce business and am trying to get the word out on Pinterest. I've created 8 pins (2 videos) at https://www.pinterest.com/baldmountainbotanicals/ but so far I've gotten a grand total of 3 impressions. Yikes.

Wasn't expecting overnight success but how am I going to get any traction if Pinterest doesn't show anyone my pins?

I tried promoting (organic hemp flower and CBD, all fully legal) but not allowed by Pinterest ad rules. So have to go 100% organic.

Any tips on how to get Pinterest to start showing my pins to people? I've been researching this and one person said you need to do 10 pins per day--that seems like a recipe for low-quality content if you're just cranking them out that fast. I try to take my time with pins and put some thought into it.

Would love to know if I'm doing something wrong or if it's normal to get 0 impressions on new pins when you're just starting out. For comparison Instagram is showing my new posts to dozens of people and I've already started getting followers. I'd rather focus on Pinterest to be honest but not if nobody will see the pins.

Thanks for any feedback and advice.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pinterestmarketingexpert
Jack-of-all-trades

Hello @baldmountainbotanicals and welcome to the PBC!

Okay you have a lot of questions so let me address them one by one.

1. You're off to a good start but you need to create a strategy and a plan. I can't help you with that because I don't know what content you have to date and how much you're willing to work at this. 

You need to decide how many pins you want to publish on a consistent basis. Just be consistent and work you're way up. Avoid a roller coaster activity meaning don't just pin whenever you feel like it. Decide on a specific amount you can commit to week after week. Pinterest has an algorithm and it can detect if you're up and down with your activities.

2. Here's a great link that explains how Pinterest shows your pins:

https://help.pinterest.com/en/business/article/pin-performance-and-distribution

Remember that there's a lot of competition on Pinterest and it will take time for you to rank high. Businesses who have put in their time will be more favorable especially if they have high engagement on their content.

3. Be careful who you're getting advice from

It is not necessary to pin 10 times a day. Do you really have that much new content? I doubt it.

4. Idea Pins

You need to start making Idea Pins because that will get you brand awareness and it will help you connect and interact with your community - the people that will eventually love what you do and what your brand stands for.

Learn more at https://business.pinterest.com/en-ca/creators/

5. Other socials

Pinterest is a slow burn. It takes time to get followers, etc. If you think you are having more success in other socials and it is translating to more impressions and followers and ultimately converts to sales then you have to decide what's best for you. I think the answer is obvious:)

I hope that helps for now. 

Please click the button ACCEPT AS SOLUTION if you found this helpful. 

Thanks and good luck! 

View solution in original post

1 Kudo
7 Replies
pinterestmarketingexpert
Jack-of-all-trades

Hello @baldmountainbotanicals and welcome to the PBC!

Okay you have a lot of questions so let me address them one by one.

1. You're off to a good start but you need to create a strategy and a plan. I can't help you with that because I don't know what content you have to date and how much you're willing to work at this. 

You need to decide how many pins you want to publish on a consistent basis. Just be consistent and work you're way up. Avoid a roller coaster activity meaning don't just pin whenever you feel like it. Decide on a specific amount you can commit to week after week. Pinterest has an algorithm and it can detect if you're up and down with your activities.

2. Here's a great link that explains how Pinterest shows your pins:

https://help.pinterest.com/en/business/article/pin-performance-and-distribution

Remember that there's a lot of competition on Pinterest and it will take time for you to rank high. Businesses who have put in their time will be more favorable especially if they have high engagement on their content.

3. Be careful who you're getting advice from

It is not necessary to pin 10 times a day. Do you really have that much new content? I doubt it.

4. Idea Pins

You need to start making Idea Pins because that will get you brand awareness and it will help you connect and interact with your community - the people that will eventually love what you do and what your brand stands for.

Learn more at https://business.pinterest.com/en-ca/creators/

5. Other socials

Pinterest is a slow burn. It takes time to get followers, etc. If you think you are having more success in other socials and it is translating to more impressions and followers and ultimately converts to sales then you have to decide what's best for you. I think the answer is obvious:)

I hope that helps for now. 

Please click the button ACCEPT AS SOLUTION if you found this helpful. 

Thanks and good luck! 

1 Kudo
JanaOMedia
Marvel

Hi, @baldmountainbotanicals. This is one of those situations where it's difficult to give you concrete advice in this setting. But I'd say generally that it is quite normal to have a slow start like the one you're describing. It takes time for a new account and pins to gain traction on Pinterest. 

This article might be helpful for you. It's about how distribution works on the platform: https://help.pinterest.com/en/business/article/pin-performance-and-distribution 

I hope it helps you! 

Welcome to the PBC. It may take some time to research and implement what you learn here (and in other places) about Pinterest marketing - but it's worth it! 😉 

0 Kudos
baldmountainbotanicals
Just visiting

Thanks so much Anna for your prompt response and all the detailed advice--so helpful!

I'll read those articles and try to keep educating myself about how Pinterest's algorithm works. I've been a little sporadic in my pinning--I think I'm going to start with 1 per week and stay consistent as you suggest.

And I'll be patient--try to put the work in and we'll see where things are in a few months.

Thanks again!

2 Kudos
baldmountainbotanicals
Just visiting

Thanks Jana appreciate the link, will check it out. One question--I requested to join a group board and never heard back (maybe 5 days ago), when I go back to that board to ask again there's no option to do that.

Do I just wait until someone gets back to me? Will I get a message?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
pinterestmarketingexpert
Jack-of-all-trades

Great job @baldmountainbotanicals 

BTW, just a friendly to click the button ACCEPT AS SOLUTION. 

Thanks and have a fab weekend! 

0 Kudos
JanaOMedia
Marvel

@baldmountainbotanicals - You are not alone on that one!

Pinners who have group boards run them in different ways, and it's not uncommon these days not to hear back from them. If you reeeeaaallly thought it was worth pursuing, you could try to locate the group board owner (first person listed) and email them with a pitch. But... 

That being said, most Pinterest experts see group boards as a dated tactic these days (not as effective as it once was), so I wouldn't spend much time on them. Instead, I recommend that you focus on creating and keyword-optimizing your own boards - and creating great content for them! 

I hope that helps! 

0 Kudos
terezatoledo
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Hi @baldmountainbotanicals ,

Looks like you've got such great suggestions already! 

It's correct that Pinterest is a slow burn, but totally worth it! The slow start mentioned by @JanaOMedia is common. And you are the only one who can tell overtime which platform is best. I'm a huge fan of spreading seeds in all platforms. After all, you are creating content anyway.

I'm also a believer that consistent quality content always wins. In terms of pins, there's no set number of pins that works for everyone, and 10 pins a day seems like a lot for most accounts when the key is to create new content, as @pinterestmarketingexpert said.

Even though you may hear people talking about group boards, you don't need them to grow your audience. Creating idea pins along with standard pins is the way to go.

I know this has been said already, but consistency is key! Invest in a content and pinning strategy that will be sustainable in the long run.

1 Kudo