Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

What's holding you back from running ads on Pinterest?

thehalcyonhive
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

I've been running ads for clients on Pinterest for a few years now and let me tell you, it was definitely intimidating when I got started!  I am constantly learning new things still.  As we know, things continue to evolve on the platform but Pinterest offers a lot of support to people wanting to get started running ad campaigns.  So don't let the unknown hold you back. ☺️

Tell me, have you run ads on Pinterest in the past?  If so how did they do?  Would you do anything different this time?  Or, are you considering running a campaign but have no idea where to start?

Let's use this thread as a place share our experiences and offer others some tips for running their own successful campaigns.  📌

15 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
thehalcyonhive
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Hi @becksk2 - Welcome to the PBC!

Your concern is a very common one...we definitely don't want to throw money down the drain!  One thing I always recommend before spending any money on ads (on any platform) is to have a solid funnel in place.  With ads you are paying to get people to your site, but what happens on your site is up to you.  Depending on the price of your products, you may need to get people on your email list to nurture before they are ready to buy.  

My favorite type of campaign to start with is an opt-in campaign.  Create a value-packed freebie that you can promote on Pinterest.  Have it go to a landing page on your website with an embed form.  Then (this is key!) have that form submission redirect the a thank you page on your site.  The thank you page is where you will place your sign up event tag to measure the conversion.

The Pinterest tags go in the <head> section of your website.  The base code should fire on every page and the event tags should fire after the base code, but only on the pages after an action has been taken (i.e. a signup, add to cart, or purchase).  

I hope this helps!  I'm happy to answer any more questions about tags or ads for you here in the PBC. 🙂

View solution in original post

9 Kudos
34 Replies
bodymindmood
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

@thehalcyonhive 

I love this post!

I have been running ads consistently for a little over 3 years and a few times pre 2019.

There is a ton of benefit to be had by running ads on Pinterest.

Many Pinterest users stay away from them but I have definitely seen and reaped the benefit from them. When I run them I don't very often niche down on Keywords (moving away from what we are told) and I allow Pinterest to set targets ... this is truly what works for me and has on the last few campaigns. I have also found the "Sweet Spot" when running ads there is a number & place where when the ad or ads stop running you need to be there in the wings with SOLID FRESH CONTENT - this requires research while the ads are running.

If your numbers are down but have Content that is popular on Pinterest then ads are definitely a place to consider.

Lisa

6 Kudos
thehalcyonhive
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Love these tips @bodymindmood!  Thanks for sharing!

2 Kudos
bodymindmood
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

@thehalcyonhive 

I attended the Shopping Event yesterday and the information that came forward about Holiday Shopping + Advertising was pretty amazing. Learning about the type of campaigns that you can run re Holiday Shopping is pretty awesome.

If you have time definitely catch the replay.

Lisa

0 Kudos
thehalcyonhive
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

@bodymindmood awesome! I had a call so I missed the webinar.  I'll definitely catch the replay! 

1 Kudo
hostesstori
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

I would just caution if you're going to jump into ads for the first time that it's holiday season ... the landscape is MUCH more competitive (aka expensive!). Really make sure you have a clear understanding of what your desired ROAS goal is and if you're not meeting it stop spending. It's so easy to bleed money during Q4 if you're not paying close attention or have a solid plan.  🙂 

4 Kudos
becksk2

Hi there, 

I have just been reading up on the ad campaigns. I am working on redoing my setup here and it's very confusing. I have come and gone from Pinterest a lot over the years. The new changes that I see are great but not keeping up on them and then realizing it's mostly like a new site now!

I am curious about the ads and will probably set one up to check it out. The main holdback, well for me anyways, is money. How on earth when you are starting out or have a side thing or whatever, until you start going I guess it's just a bit of hit and miss and finding out which social media site works the best. Seems every site has them now lol. I don't know how people afford everything! (they make good profits obviously!)

I have to learn more about the tags too, I don't know the Google tag account and other tag options for ad campaigns. So I have a lot of learning to do!

Becks

2 Kudos
thehalcyonhive
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Hi @becksk2 - Welcome to the PBC!

Your concern is a very common one...we definitely don't want to throw money down the drain!  One thing I always recommend before spending any money on ads (on any platform) is to have a solid funnel in place.  With ads you are paying to get people to your site, but what happens on your site is up to you.  Depending on the price of your products, you may need to get people on your email list to nurture before they are ready to buy.  

My favorite type of campaign to start with is an opt-in campaign.  Create a value-packed freebie that you can promote on Pinterest.  Have it go to a landing page on your website with an embed form.  Then (this is key!) have that form submission redirect the a thank you page on your site.  The thank you page is where you will place your sign up event tag to measure the conversion.

The Pinterest tags go in the <head> section of your website.  The base code should fire on every page and the event tags should fire after the base code, but only on the pages after an action has been taken (i.e. a signup, add to cart, or purchase).  

I hope this helps!  I'm happy to answer any more questions about tags or ads for you here in the PBC. 🙂

9 Kudos
qaisershopify

this is what holding me back

Merchant does not meet minimum website quality requirements 

4 Kudos

I'm new to the Business Pinterest. I'm curious how Pinterest Ads can benefit me as a local boudoir photographer. 

4 Kudos