cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What STRATEGY works for you?

Highlighted
Loves to help

Hi everyone,

I thought this might be a good topic to start talking about since all I see is the problems of sudden lack of impressions, clicks and spam filter issues.

For everyone that recovered from one or more of these problems would you mind sharing your new strategy with others in the community?

Maybe that can help someone 🙂

My account was wrongfully caught up in the spam filter twice...

I started manually pinning and only pin 3-4 fresh pins a day and it seems to be working (have to wait a few more weeks to see how good the strategy is to tell)

3 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great topic to start, allaboutbabyblog! I'd love to hear from folks like @typicallytopical @jeswes and @owlbbaking if they'd like to share their experience/tips and tricks with the rest of the group. ❤️ 

Have you personalized your community profile yet?
Submit your Story Pin for a chance to be featured on the Today tab!

3 Kudos
Highlighted
Posts regularly

Hi @allaboutbabyblog @PinterestGabby 

Happy to share! Fortunately, I have not had my account marked as SPAM.  🙏  I've seen so many stories about this and hope my account never gets caught in the mix!

But with all the updates this year, I did notice my stats drop which was worrisome. I ended up changing my strategy completely. I used to pin or repin 15-20 pins a day, but now I pin way less and my numbers have been growing a lot!

• I only create new pins, never recirculating old ones.
  • I only post 4-5 pins a couple times a week at times where my traffic is highest (check Google Analytics to find out when that is for you)
  • I invested heavily in creating high quality video pins and stories. That means I now create full videos for all my blog posts which was a HUGE change and not easy to do, but well worth it. Both stories & videos have increased my engagement exposure & rates significantly.
  • I A/B tested dozens of different pin designs to find out which my audience likes the most. 

Hope that helps!! Let me know if you have any questions, I would be happy to chat more! 😊

Thanks!!
Liz

? https://owlbbaking.com
6 Kudos
Highlighted
Posts regularly

@owlbbaking 

Thanks. Couple of questions? I love video but my account triggered the spam filter and still doesn't appear in search so I haven't really gotten a huge number of impressions on mine to test how it performs. Are you receiving click throughs with video or is it just for building an audience on Pinterest? How are you tracking this? How does it compare with standard pins?

Also, I took a look at your video, which is absolutely fantastic but one of the problems I have with video is that they don't all play. So if there are multiple videos on the screen, if you have animated text, it won't display. It will be stuck on the first frame. I found that setting the thumbnail when uploading helps with this situation.

2 Kudos
Highlighted
Posts regularly

Hi @thetoybuzz 

Ooo interesting! Yeah, I assume maybe once your account is triggered as spam it may take some while to return back to normal. 

I am receiving a smaller % of click throughs with video but it does vary. On my highest performing video pin the CTR is 2%. On another top video pin (for the same blog post) the CTR is 0.5%. I know that doesn't sound like much but some of my pins have lots of impressions!

This is just my opinion, but I feel like the CTR for video pins can be lower because with video, you have to scroll and tap the options menu to find the link (on Pinterest mobile) vs. just tapping the image on a regular pin. It's more work for the user, so this could be a factor the CTR is lower on video. 

Video is definitely going to be more engaging, so, it is a good tactic for building an audience on Pinterest as you mentioned. Once your audience is bigger, when you go to push out static pins they will reach more eyes and you'll get more clicks. That's the way I look at it at least! 😋 

Regarding the videos not playing, I've noticed this as well, definitely not ideal! Can you share how to set the thumbnail? I'm not aware that existed. Tagging @PinterestGabby 

I'm tracking everything via Pinterest Analytics. I maintain an Excel doc of all the key metrics and closely monitor them every 30 days. For a while I was keeping tabs on performance of individual pins (impressions & clicks). This helped me narrow down pin designs and figure out what works best. 

I hope that helps!!! 🙂

Thanks!!
Liz

2 Kudos
Highlighted
Posts regularly

Hi @owlbbaking ,

I love video and am only beginning to experiment with it. I didn't see the clicks on videos with Pinterest analytics. I thought there was only views and saves. I have to check that. I thought you have to use UTM tracking.

Here's how to set the video thumbnail. When you upload the video click the little button and upload a picture to show when your video doesn't play in the feed. Hope that this is clear. 

pinterest video thumbnail.jpg

3 Kudos
Highlighted
Just visiting

Thanks for tagging me Gabby! I hope my experience can help someone.

I’m pretty surprised at how much my account has grown this year, I’ve been doing the same thing I’ve been doing for years. It just suddenly shot up! I assume it’s the new algorithm. I don’t understand how they work, I just know it exists and it hasn’t worked for many here.

I think it has helped that I’ve had this account for a long time (probably since 2010) which helped me gather enough followers and pins to get more viewers. People still re-pin old pins I’ve pinned ages ago.

I have a second account that I had used to attach my sub-domain, and it doesn’t get as many viewers (which is fine). So I think newer accounts tend to suffer a bit. Maybe due to lack of content? Maybe if I pinned more on the 2nd account, maaaaybe I’d get more viewers. But honestly, I just made it to claim my subdomain. I’m fine with my main account being the one with all the traffic.

I just did an experiment and posted from my domains on the respective Pinterest account: My main one attached to my blog got re-pins within seconds. My 2nd account attached to my store got 0 re-pins. Either people don’t like my merch or that 2nd account just doesn’t get shown on feeds. I pin my art on my IG and no one ever likes it. I can only assume my art stinks! haha!

Right now, my main account has 7.7 million Impressions and 5.7 Million monthly viewers. (What’s the difference?) I had been sitting on 1.7 million until this year, and I thought *that* was pretty good! I was shocked to see it grow and grow! I wish it was stocks! Just imagine the private island I would buy…

I tend not to do what others usually advise: which is schedule pins, delete old pins that aren’t successful and re-pin them, pin only stuff in my niche or my own content. I don’t really use Tailwind or anything else. I also don't have my own videos or stories, mostly because I wouldn't know what to post. My account started as a personal account so I keep treating it that way. I pin anything and everything that sparks my interest. I will pin stuff in the evening while watching TV. I don’t know how many I pin per day, but it’s a lot. It’s just whatever I see, I like it, I pin it. I think that’s what gains more impressions. I know that’s the opposite advice of what others give, but I can’t explain why I shot up to over 7 million, other than that.

One thing I should do is make them look like made-for-Pinterest pins. Those pins do attract my attention if I know it has a tutorial behind it. You know, the vertical ones with text that entice you to come click. I would probably get more clicks that way. Usually my own content just tends to be product shots or swatches, which people tend to re-pin rather than click through.

Recently I have noticed that when I pin stuff from my own blog (the site attached to my account) I get  thousands of impressions within a day and I see re-pins seconds after I have posted it. But only for my own blog and not other websites or my store (which is on my sub-domain). I might get some abysmal impressions from my subdomain, so I guess what I need to do it blog about my products and pin that!

However, looking at my analytics, my all-time most pinned pins were actually re-pins from other people. My own pins haven’t gotten to 250,000 impressions for a single pin, which is understandable. I’m sure more people are out searching for specific celebrities.

Most people like to stick to their niche on their account, which makes sense for a business. Since mine started as a personal account, I have multiple subjects and looking at my followers, it seems that most people follow the boards they are interested in. So I don’t have 30k followers across all boards. That’s of course just fine, I mean we should only follow what we are interested in!

My number 1 board is “Food”. Everyone likes to eat! I’d say to pin whatever subjects you like, and sneak some pins from your blog or store in those boards if you can somehow make it fit! For me I better sneak some flat lays of my food-related shirts in with some actual food!

Seeing that some of you are being flagged as SPAM is very concerning! I’m not sure how I have been getting by with my pin-fests, but I hope it never happens because I use it daily for inspiration, to organize my ideas, promote my blog and my business. If it makes anyone feel better, I don't make any money from this! Some of you make an income? People actually buy things?! Say what! 😱🤣😭

4 Kudos
Highlighted
Posts regularly

Thank you @thetoybuzz !! I have no idea how I've missed that. Super helpful to know!!!

Thanks!!
Liz

2 Kudos
Highlighted
Loves to help

@jeswes Thanks for the insight 🙂 Now how many of those views/impressions actually result in clicks tho? 

Since that is probably whats most important to most of us 🙂

I personally do exactly what you're not doing - only pin niche specific 😄 

I agree on not deleting any pins tho - you never know they cut suddenly get viral a year later 🙂 

2 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your insight with the group, @jeswes! 💕

Have you personalized your community profile yet?
Submit your Story Pin for a chance to be featured on the Today tab!

1 Kudo