cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Stolen pins without a link

fromwithin99
Just visiting

Hi PBC,

I came across 3 profiles that stole my pins ( took my images and uploaded them as if they were theirs and did not link them to any page ).

https://www.pinterest.com/billyellow/_created/

https://www.pinterest.com/benryred/_created/

https://www.pinterest.com/williegrow/_created/

I obviously reported these stolen pins to Pinterest but this has got me thinking why would someone steal a pin but not redirect it to their own page.

I noticed that most of their other pins ( across the 3 profiles) also don't have a link and are just images ( I don't know if they are stolen because they are not mine but I have an idea of what is going on).

This is not the first time content is being stolen on Pinterest but previously they would steal the image but recreate their own pin with a different link.

This time around it's different.

My guess ( and that's only my opinion) is that their profiles take existing pins and re-upload ( so a new pin is created and it's not just a save) without a link so that they compete with the original pin in rankings and also in the home feed.

If that's the case I suggest Pinterest to remove the possibility of downloading an image from a pin ( except from its creator) so that these profiles no longer have the option of downloading and uploading however they wish.

I would love to hear anyone thoughts on that and if you guys encounter a similar issue.

@PinterestGabby @PinterestAya any thoughts on that?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
troprockin
Just visiting

I tried to figure this out 2 years ago. So, I watched an account that had uploaded my pins without a link to see what happened. After several months, the spammy account went in and added their own links. My guess was they waited to see if the original owner (me) submitted DMCAs. If so, their website wouldn't be dinged by Pinterest because there was no URL associated with the pin (guessing). If a few months go by and the pin isn't caught by the original owner, they add their own link to drive traffic to their site.

Although this made sense 2 years ago -- because it really worked well for spammers - today since static pins are so suppressed by Pinterest anyways and a good account can barely get traffic, the spam account and the stolen pin will probably never rank in the search results. And going back and adding a URL won't help the stolen pin. So, no idea why they are doing it nowadays....

I think we ALL wish Pinterest would remove the download option!!! But since the image can be obtained in many other ways (screenshot, from the actual website, etc..) they don't care about this and don't feel it's their issue.

Just DMCA stolen pins (with or without a URL) and move on. Sadly, that's all that can be done.

View solution in original post

1 Kudo
2 Replies
troprockin
Just visiting

I tried to figure this out 2 years ago. So, I watched an account that had uploaded my pins without a link to see what happened. After several months, the spammy account went in and added their own links. My guess was they waited to see if the original owner (me) submitted DMCAs. If so, their website wouldn't be dinged by Pinterest because there was no URL associated with the pin (guessing). If a few months go by and the pin isn't caught by the original owner, they add their own link to drive traffic to their site.

Although this made sense 2 years ago -- because it really worked well for spammers - today since static pins are so suppressed by Pinterest anyways and a good account can barely get traffic, the spam account and the stolen pin will probably never rank in the search results. And going back and adding a URL won't help the stolen pin. So, no idea why they are doing it nowadays....

I think we ALL wish Pinterest would remove the download option!!! But since the image can be obtained in many other ways (screenshot, from the actual website, etc..) they don't care about this and don't feel it's their issue.

Just DMCA stolen pins (with or without a URL) and move on. Sadly, that's all that can be done.

View solution in original post

1 Kudo
PinterestSusana

Hi @fromwithin99 and @troprockin!

Thank you for taking the time to come to the community and write your suggestions. We appreciate your thoughts because they help us improve our platform and make it more pleasant to users like you. I will make sure to forward your suggestions to our internal team.

In the meanwhile, you can submit a DMCA notice through the following link: https://www.pinterest.com/about/copyright/dmca-pin/

Let me know if you need anything else!

Did my response answer your question? Be sure to select "Accept as Solution" to help other community members on the PBC.

1 Kudo