cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[MEGA TOPIC] Sudden decrease (around 70%) in Reach: Anyone else?

miaharperdesign
Just visiting

Hi I just joined this community and feel for you. In fact I feel for everybody who is seeing their audience figures plummet.

I have worked hard on my Pinterest account in a year and got to 2.4m views and then came along the change in algorithms and have dropped to 801.2k in under 6 weeks. Now the figures are going up or down daily whereas they only changed on a weekly basis. Like you it is disheartening to put in all the work creating fresh pins and just lately chasing the trending SEO model which is ridiculous. 

I feel like I've sold my soul to Pinterest just to get views! I'm getting to the point of giving it all up and concentrating on my print-on-demand products and website.

I believe those who started out with Pinterest over 10 years ago have established themselves and got tons of followers to keep them afloat. Those who have joined lately tend to game the system or pander to the SEO demands of the platform. Quite a few blog about Pinterest itself or making money online and have managed to build a huge following as well as a tremendous amount of views.

For those who have a business other than blogging about Pinterest or money online itself it is going to be a hard struggle with the new algorithms.

I'm not sure I want to bother anymore because it has become too much of an effort for little reward.

My take about any of these social media platforms (although Pinterest is classed as a Search Engine) is that we are at the mercy of constant change. Also I think this platform is going the way of Facebook where they are making pins less visible unless you pay for the promotion which could become very costly. Also the original idea of Pinterest was to have pins that stayed in the ether for years. Now they've altered the criteria whereby longevity of a pin is no longer available hence the request for creating fresh pins. I'm not too sure whether that applies to evergreen topics but a pin is a pin!

Final comment, you say you are an author; you could if you're not already doing so, is put your content on Medium which you get paid for! This could also be another way of driving traffic to your website. I'm thinking of doing that myself in the near future.

3 Kudos
IvaUrsano
Just visiting

Yup. Same. My whole account just dropped off the face of the earth and pinterest keeps telling me it's fine, just make fresh pins. What's the point of no one sees them? I've tried searching my account (as my friends have too) and the only pins that come up are stolen ones. But according to pinterest there is nothing wrong with my account. I'll email 100 times if I have to to get this fixed. 

2 Kudos
lifezeazy
Just visiting

Hi @mymediachops 

(This is my second reply as the first one wasn't posted. I don't know why!)

Actually, I selected the "Pinterest blocked my site" option & then on the next page, I picked "Something else".

The option I needed wasn't available, so I picked this one just to connect with them.

Though when they replied, they said that everything is good, and there is no problem with my account & domain. 

At that point, I thought it was temporary, and things will get back to normal in a few days.

But after a few weeks, when things were still deteriorating, I again replied to the same email conversation & wrote the following email.

-------------------------------

Hi, 

Could you please check whether my domain is mistakenly flagged by your system as low quality?

I have seen many people in the Pinterest business community sharing their experiences related to the same topic. 

One user said that he has been talking with customer support since June 2020, and all he heard was - "nothing is wrong with his account".

However, recently, someone from the support team actually checked the system and found that his domain was flagged for low quality.

So, I think my domain is also facing the same problem. If you could please check from your end, I will be so grateful to you.

-----------------------------

When I sent this email, the support team member passed my query to another support member. That guy checked their system, and finally, they admitted that my domain was flagged. 

Even though they told me they will fix this issue, they haven't mentioned any duration. As of now, the support team even stopped replying to my email.

So, this was my overall story. I hope now you don't have any confusion?

Sincerely,

Mahesh

0 Kudos
egruening
Just visiting

I haven been having dropping stats for months now and nothing I do can fix it (I have resolved myself that Pinterest only wants me to spend $$ on every pin to get seen. That won't be happening as I don't have a budget for that).

ANYWAYS for the last month and some, I have noticed that no matter what I try to do to get seen (videos, fresh pins, fresh content, pin 10 + pins a day, don't use tailwind, do use tailwind, pinning content my followers want, pinning popular pins, seasonal pins etc. etc.), Pinterest will NOT SHOW MY NEW CONTENT TO ANYONE ON THE PLATFORM. 10 impressions, 5 impressions. So my stats keep going down and down and down and down because there is absolutely zero way to improve. How can you when Pinterest only shows old content and some of it garbage?

Like the pin attached. I must of pinned this 5 years ago or more. It has loads of saves, a garbage title that does not represent what the image is and no description but yet it has tons of saves. HOW?! 

Can someone please help me? Customer service as per usual for the last months I have been doing this, won't give me any answers beyond canned or just plain ignore me. I have done everything and more to try and save my business and Pinterest has just decided to stop showing my content (and I'm not flagged for spam either). 

old pin.jpg

0 Kudos
IvaUrsano
Just visiting

@upswinglife  I feel your pain so much.  Here's a screenshot of what my GA looks like 

Screenshot (51).png

and here's what it looks like in Pinterest

Screenshot (52).png

But my account is not flagged for spam they keep telling me. It literally just disappeared off the face of the earth. All my hard work, AND all my earnings, gone. 

They say don't worry Iva, just keep creating fresh pins, but I'm not sure who's supposed to pay my rent next month. I do create fresh pins but what good does it do anymore if my account is practically invisible now? 

I asked the last Pinterest support person to please do a search on my account and send me a screenshot of what comes up for him. I was horrified. 4 pins of mine, all 4 stolen, and the rest were pins for baby and kid's things (I run a self help/personal development website focusing on dating and healing). My entire account has been wiped out but they insist it's not flagged for spam. 

So tell me then, where did all my pins go? Where is my account that I worked my word removed per Community Guidelines off for the last two years to grow? But I not only grew my account but I'm pretty sure I helped Pinterest grow too as all us creators have done. We create, we pin and in turn, we grow and Pinterest grows too. We play by the rules and give them what they want and we get kicked down hard. 

@PinterestGabby 

I will keep emailing until someone gets to the bottom of this. I'm already up to around 15 emails but it's not like I can just go out and get a job now to replace all my lost income from my website. Jobs are pretty scarce these days, especially when you live in a third world country. 

So tell my Pinterest, where is my account, my pins, and all my hard work? Where did my business go? Can someone answer me that? And then maybe find it and put it back where it belongs? Por favor!

6 Kudos
typicallytopical
Loves to help

@IvaUrsano I feel you on this one. I'm facing the same thing. Earnings practically disappeared overnight. I honestly have no idea why it's a constant battle with Pinterest support to get things back to normal. I don't know how Pinterest and its managers can look at this forum and say 'we have no problem'? I've never done business with a company with such poor customer service. Even the government, where I used to work, had better customer service than this.

Meanwhile, there are other accounts out there who are spamming, stealing content, and they are seeing 20k, 30k over 100k impressions per PIN. HOW IS THAT FAIR TO CREATORS who post only ORIGINAL content, like the community guidelines tell us to do. Pinterest has become a joke in the blogging community. Twitter and Facebook groups are littered with issues, more than I care to list here.

PINTEREST, STOP PUSHING NEW FEATURES WHEN THE BASICS DON'T WORK!

7 Kudos
IvaUrsano
Just visiting

I don't think they understand or care about the magnitude of this issue. People are losing their businesses and livelihood. Telling me "Don't worry Iva" is an insult. How are we not supposed to worry when our lives have been flipped upside down in a second and no one has any answers for us. I wouldn't' wish this on my worst enemy. Every day I feel sick to my stomach not knowing what to do next. Every day I feel like throwing up. Every day I hope and pray that the next email from Pinterest will be the happy one. 

And they say "Don't worry Iva, keep creating fresh quality content" Right.

Because Pinterest stocks are on the rise? 

I Googled this:

Should I buy Pinterest stock?
Users research their interests and products with intent to buy, with up to 60% of millennials using it for this purpose, which is why Pinterest has such good strength in its ad-based revenue. ... With no debt and a predicted revenue income of $1.5 billion in 2020, this stock might be worth pinning to the top of your list. Apr 30, 2020

Ad based revenue. Did ya catch that? They don't gaf about us anymore or those who aren't spending money on ads. 

Here's another one:

How do Pinterest make money?
Pinterest makes its money via advertising, specifically, promoted pins. These promoted pins are ads that look similar to user-generated pins (posts). The company generated $756 million last year in revenue but posted a net loss of $63 million.

Hard to do promoted pins when you don't have money because Pinterest woke up one morning and flipped a switch on your account and shut you down with no warning, no reason, and no apology. They should be charged or sued. This is absolutely appalling what they have done to all the creators who built Pinterest to what it is today.

4 Kudos
upswinglife
Just visiting

the reply I got today:

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your patience.

Unfortunately there is nothing we can possibly do for you at the minute but keep checking up on your Analytics for day by day stats and overall performance.

Our algorithm is constantly updating in order to help users find exactly what they are looking for on the platform, this might result in a drop of mass impressions but the traffic you receive to your account will be more specific, resulting in higher engagement.

I'm aware you have already been given the tips on how to better your traffic. By using lengthy descriptions containing a variety of adjectives and keywords and that you are also aware of the need to post fresh pins instead of repinning. Creating pins using fresh imagery that helps you stand out from the rest is just as important as helping other pinners in finding your content and knowing exactly what they will use it for.

Also, as previously mentioned in other correspondence, interests in viewers changes thus pushing creators into a change of strategy. Approaching your profile from another angle and giving it a fresh look might help with your impressions. Having a look at general analytics by setting a longer date range can also help users know where the spikes appear so they can go back and see what it was that caught pinners' attention.

Finally, Pinterest encourages its users to interact with other members of the platform in order to create that flow of inspiration which is what we aspire to do.

I really do hope this information finds you well and that your numbers keep going up on the rise again.

If there is anything else I can help you with don't hesitate to reach back out.

@PinterestGabby  please help

1 Kudo
beattattoo
Just visiting

As they said, it is true that the old pins that were pined a long time ago are saved and rotated by new algorithms. And new pins are most likely perceived when comparing as old content, although it does not find matches when searching, for example, a lion tattoo on the arm, there are many such pictures, but mine is unique because this is a different picture, but the algorithm most likely thinks that this is an old picture and it does not receive promotion , and so with many pictures .... this is the problem at the moment, the intellect of the algorithm pictures does not understand and does not distinguish the difference between old and new pictures, thinking that the picture is already there (it's like example)

0 Kudos
beattattoo
Just visiting

I attach 8 new pictures every day, but alas, the traffic unsuccessfully drops today even lower, than it was yesterday ... sad

1 Kudo