cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[MEGA TOPIC] Sudden decrease (around 70%) in Reach: Anyone else?

Highlighted

Hi,

We've been experiencing a dramatic drop of our pins impressions. Our average daily impressions used to be about 500k-600k, now they're down to less than 20k. Also, our pins no longer appear in search results. We would like to know what's causing all this and how to fix it, thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Posts regularly

Hi @keblogIT I'm sorry you're experiencing these issues. Have you submitted a ticket with the help desk yet? https://help.pinterest.com/en/contact

-Simple Pin Media
simplepinmedia.com
1 Kudo
Highlighted

Hello! I'm having the same issues as stated above. After relentlessly contacting Pinterest support for over a week, I finally got someone to transfer me to a different department in which they said my account was caught in the spam filter and has been added to the safe list. They said my account would return to normal within several days, but it has been 9 days and I still do not see any of my pins in the search (I had many first place and top-ranking pins). My traffic has essentially gone to nothing and this is impacting my business HARD. It has definitely taken a toll on my sanity with blogging and Pinterest over the last 2 weeks. Could you help me with this?

-Gabby Bre

2 Kudos
Highlighted
Just visiting

Since yesterday, my Pinterest traffic has tanked 90+%. I used to get 1,000 visits/day from Pinterest and since yesterday, that's gone down to less than 100.

I submitted a ticket (#214581) but got the canned response of "normal ebbs and flows" and to focus more on "creating fresh pins".

I sent a detailed reply, but the system generated another ticket, and sent me an email stating that my "message didn't go through". This happens every time I send a reply.

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 6.49.14 PM.png

So I'll just post it here, hoping Pinterest forum support can send me in the right direction, and see if others here have the same problem as me.

Let's go over your stated reasons for the drop in traffic:

1. Normal Ebbs and Flows

Saying that it's just natural ebbs and flows would probably make sense if the drop in traffic is 50% or less, but at 90+% DROP? There's something going on there.

I've attached my Google Analytics screenshot for Pinterest website visits since January 1, 2020. 
I don't think that you can, in good nature, still think that this is "natural up and down".

GA Pinterest This Year.png

2. Pinning FRESH pins

I am pinning fresh pins. The problem is that my fresh pins are NOT getting any impressions. 
Normally, after a day or two, my fresh pins would get at least 1,000 impressions.

But looking at the last 15 fresh pins I've published recently. (Note: these are over 2 days old so they should be receiving more impressions by now)

The impressions barely even reached 100! I haven't had it THAT BAD since my account has grown. 
Even on the worst days, I'd still have a few hundred impressions on my least-performing pins.

You'll understand if I'm hesitant to publish more fresh pins if they won't get impressions anyway. What's the point in wasting my time when clearly there's something more going on with my account?

I really think that the Pinterest A.I. has either deindexed my account or shadow banned it.

My Proof?

1. Pins not showing in search results

I search the keywords I use to rank for and my pins are nowhere to be found, not even at the bottom.

However, I found some of my pins which are hijacked by spammers and linking other domains, not mine. 

My pins not showing in search, but stolen pins show up in searchMy pins not showing in search, but stolen pins show up in search

These are PINS which I have created (my website logo/ URL is watermarked on the pins), but have been stolen by spammers and used to link to their own sites / affiliate links.

I have started reporting those accounts for spam (since they fall under that definition, stealing other people's pins and using them to link to questionable websites, and to eBay and Amazon with their own affiliate links).

2. Pinterest is using my pins as the cover for "related search" boards, but my pins are nowhere to be found when you click on said boards.

The ones I've circled in RED in the RELATED SEARCHES are ALL MY PINS which you can find on: https://www.pinterest.com/curling_diva/sleep-hairstyles-hairstyles-to-sleep-in/

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 7.18.59 PM.jpg

But when I click on the boards, these are nowhere to be found, no matter how much I scroll to the bottom of the page.

For some reason, Pinterest A.I. is not showing my pins in SEARCH results.

AS you can see, I have reason to believe that there's really something wrong with my account. 

Please escalate my concern to the relevant team who can fix or diagnose those accounts with 90+% TRAFFIC DROPS, as it's CLEARLY NOT NORMAL ups and downs.

Hoping for your understanding as this is a very alarming situation for me. I've worked hard to publish fresh pins, only for my efforts to be hijacked by spammers, and being put on time out by the Pinterest A.I.

Kind Regards,
3 Kudos
Highlighted
Just visiting

@curling_diva you are not alone! There is another huge thread happening here will all the exact same issues and all the exact same canned responses with very little answers. My traffic has gone down by 90% as well (and still tanking) and zero pins show in search all very similar to you. I have lost sleep over this and very unhappy on how everything has been handled (and I do social media marketing for a living!)

I wish myself and others had answers. Apparently a Pinterest community manager said they are making notes of the issues they see here, but they can only pass it on, not fix. Sigh. Not even sure this is true these days.

Good luck with your requests and I hope that someone will eventually get help and can pass that onto the rest of us. Fingers crossed!

4 Kudos
Highlighted
Loves to help

@PinterestGabby I've been dealing with pin analytic problems since May. When I filed a ticket back then, Logan from the help desk said my problem would be fixed by August. He assured me several times in various emails and then closed my ticket. I'm still dealing with the issue. My audience is 1/3 of what it was last year. Is there any way anyone can take some action on this? I've been patient and suffered through several condescending correspondences that are form letters talking about content and fresh pins, when all I do is post brand new original pins. I've already sent in videos, pictures, whatever. 

I would like to know if Pinterest is going to fix this issue. I've been patient, waiting all summer while my sales have tanked because of this issue when I've been told by the help desk that they would fix this. My latest story pin has 28 impressions when I used to get as high as 19,000. I also see impressions that disappear overnight from pins and never return. I had a pin that was 19K one day and dropped to 8K then next. I sent you pictures of that previously.

Please just let me know if Pinterest has any intention of investigating this.

Chris

4 Kudos
Highlighted
Just visiting

@curling_diva 

Hello, as always "same here". I've been trying to figure this out since my drop on 11th of August. I get errors writing in the master topic here, so if you don't mind I'll share my thoughts since writing about "the spammer theory" there.

I've been trying to test the theory that the spammers are pulling all my pins down. I picked a board and tried to clean up as much as I could - reporting pins and accounts for spam - that didn't seem to work, so I send a list of urls through support. In 2-3 days the accounts starting to disappear, so I guess the ticket worked. One of my newest pins in that board - posted after the main drop in traffic, appeared in search again for like a day and today I see only a spammer version of it from yet another spam account. This would be an endless fight and neeeds to be solved by Pinterest, or the spammers will take over everything...

Just a little overview about what I did so far...

• Picked one board of around 20 pins. 2 pins are newer - posted after the drop (no hastags).
• Reported all the spam pins in search, by the keywords the board aims for and by visual searching said pins. Reported all the accounts (30+) for spam and sent the list of URLs through support (for violation - spam account).
• Deleted all hastags from descriptions of the pins.
• Took me around 1 hour.

One of the new pins got into the search, then disappeared. Today the second one appeared but posted by yet another spam account - I didn't even have the chance to see if my little test worked. Unless I helped this spam account to rank instead of me... So it is not the hashtags, they can take any pin most likely by keywords, they seem to be posting batches of pins by certain topic at once.

So... Waiting for a fix from Pinterest seems to be my only option now, but at least I know what the issue might be, as the "not getting any answers" was driving me crazy... But it's been a month for me, months for others so I'm not hopeful anymore this will happen soon, if ever... 😞

- Alesia Skye: @ScatteredQuotes & @Kontentsia (nothing there yet)
2 Kudos
Highlighted
Posts regularly

@curling_diva  @Kontentsia 

The exact, exact same thing is happening on my account. Thank you for detailing the whole thing here. This has to do with spammers hijacking your pins. After being safelisted, I have begun creating new pins for all my old URLs and those are the only pins appearing in search. 

I think Pinterest only shows one copy of each image in search so if the hijackers have found a way to use your image to have better ranking signals, Pinterest will show that version of the pin. 

Spammers can lock your pins out of search by spamming your image.  Often times you will find your images not linking anywhere or to Facebook, https://i.pinimg.com/

I waited 4 months for support and you probably aren't going to have any luck. There are two things you can do to gain traffic.

1. Report all the spam that is ranking in search. If you can clear all the spam, your pins will rank again. The only problem? As soon as you take down the spam, new spam will be created in search. If you report a pin, it's almost like they retaliate and generate more spam. You will lose this battle. Yesterday I reported almost 200 pins that were ranking and today hundreds more have replaced them. I think I have reported over 1000 pins so far to no avail. More and more keeps coming.

2. Start over. If a spammer is using your images to generate spam, your old pins are done for. Create all new fresh images for your old URLs.  Of course, spammers can do the same thing again until Pinterest fixes this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Posts regularly

@curling_diva @Kontentsia

The exact same thing is happening on my account. Thank you for detailing it. I think this has to do with spammers hijacking your images.

I think Pinterest only shows one image in search so if a spammer is using your image and is ranking, your pin won't be shown.

The problem with reporting these hijacked images is that once you report them, more spam appears in search. It's a never ending battle.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just visiting

@egruening @Kontentsia @thetoybuzz 

I actually posted a new thread under the product support section, and I woke up this morning to see that my post was incorporated into this master thread.

I had issues replying to Pinterest support, which is why I detailed my issues here. 

I am still looking for my pins which were stolen by spammers and reporting the accounts.

What I do is I don't report the pin, but the actual accounts. I go to the board where the stolen pin was pinned to, and check it out. They're usually full of stolen pins (from other people as well) all linking to whatever the spammer wants to..

e.g.

– boards filled with stolen pins linking to Amazon with affiliate links,

– rover.ebay.com (most likely an affiliate link as well)

– xxxxx.blogspot.com

– facebook.com (which redirects to a spammy website and generates a "leaving facebook" warning)

– some other spammywebsite.xyz etc.

Suggestion for Pinterest: 

Your A.I. should be able to detect new accounts, with less than 100 followers, pinning different images but all linking to the same website (whether that's amazon affiliate links)

One spam account I found has over 1million views just pinning stolen pins and linking to Amazon with affiliate links.

I think spammers are taking advantage of the fact that Pinterest now prioritizes "fresh content", so they can just virtually reuse all our pins and just pin them from another URL.

Some of the spammer accounts I found:

These accounts hijacked my pins and other people's as well. They have less than 10 followers, 0 following, yet look at their monthly viewers! 😱

Look at that – 1.4m monthly viewers! And with less than 2 followersLook at that – 1.4m monthly viewers! And with less than 2 followers

This one has an unbelievable 1.4M viewers!

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 1.20.25 PM.png

This one has 0 followers, and 0 following. But has 100K+ monthly viewers just from pinning stolen pins!

Dear Pinterest, 

I think spammers are taking advantage of your "fresh content" algorithm.

From a user standpoint, such accounts are obviously spam. But the Pinterest A.I is getting fooled.

Hope you can share this to the team,  @PinterestGabby  

1 Kudo