cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[MEGA TOPIC] Sudden decrease (around 70%) in Reach: Anyone else?

KCAEICtheblog
Just visiting

We had our pins on KCAEICTheBlog show up temporarily in search and we gained some traffic from this (only a few clicks since we are new), and now they have vanished from search again if i search for any of them.... (scrolling through all results for exact match terms and our posts being completely missed)

It would seem highly likely something in the algorithm is not liking us, we post regularly from tailwind, including our pins and others. It's sad because it makes pinterest not worth contributing content to, especially given the time investment to create pins.

0 Kudos
KCAEICtheblog
Just visiting

My money (based on software developer husbands thoughts) would be on an aggressive machine learning algorithm that is applying distribution penalties with an increased false positive rate after a recent rules engine change or being trained on a different data set. would be great if there was a way to get our pages and linking domains human reviewed and white listed by a human in a way that deterred the attack dog  machine learning bot.

0 Kudos
byrebechij
Just visiting

Hello! I have had massive traffic drop for a month now, I usually had 4000+ views per day for a long period of time, suddenly it dropped to 60+ views per day from Pinterest traffic. It's heartbreaking! I have contacted Pinterest team for many times and all they say is that there is no spam flag or penalty for my profile, but as I have done my research I realise that they maybe don't want to admit that? I have contacted tons of people and they all says that this is totally a spam flag. I can create as much new pins as I want, not repinning other and my own copies, but it is getting worse day by day. There is zero impressions and zero link clicks for my new pins, even my old pins have been removed from search results! I believe I am totally under penalty, but I can't do anything about that, because Pinterest still keeps saying everything looks normal for my profile, but as you can clearly see it's not close to normal. Maybe someone can help me with advice what should I do? I just contacted @PinterestGabby and I hope she will text me back and help me in these heartbreaking times!

1 Kudo
theypsilonblog
Just visiting

@byrebechij Sadly at the moment, we are at the mercy of Pinterest. There are many like you, including me who have been facing the same problem with the same reply. I hope Gabby will reply to you.

0 Kudos
byrebechij
Just visiting

What do you think it is?

0 Kudos
watersportswhiz

As you described it is word-for-word my own experience.  

My impressions have dropped 90% from the 16th August and now aren't even breaking double digits.  Its a horror show. 

Personally its an insult -  a kick in the teeth for us content creators who put our time, effort and money in creating great information on which to base our pins.

I am still hoping that this is just a bug which will correct itself - And, hope isn't a move to paid promotion like Facebook and Instagram.   

I have also raised a ticket but have been told the same 'ebb and flow,' 'create some new pins' line. 

But it really does feel all Ebb and no flow.    

@PinterestGabby @PinterestJanice  give us a sign - give us some hope. 

Sam OBrien
1 Kudo
egruening
Just visiting

I wonder if I should reach out to them again so my profile gets thrown back into the mix to fix? This is 100% a new update, thanks for sharing!

0 Kudos
Kontentsia
Posts regularly

Hello to all members of our "sudden drop in reach" club. I come to you yet again with another possible cause of the problem. Even if this proves not to be the reason, it is a huge problem by itself.

The spam accounts

I've always considered them part of Pinterest, they rarely got ahead in search before my pins and if they did they disappeared in time. I haven't look for them, haven't reported them. But now with reading all the stories about the traffic drops, one person on FB mentioned the spammers posted all her content and it made her pins drop out of search. With my pins being gone from search I could see my images still there but with weird links posted by spammers. So I searched for them. I thought maybe I could get them reported and the problem would be solved. Oh how wrong I was.

Search for spammers

You can see them when you search for your keywords, your profile/domain name and visual search. I started to compile a list. I visual searched one of my pins and started the list, I gave up at 20 accounts.

1 visual search of 1 pin led to 20+ spam accounts posting my image (or closely related images)
I have 5000+ unique pins
Oh boy...

I tried searching for spammers on some of your accounts and could see the same pattern... I tried @thetoybuzz @allnutritiousblog @saurabhankush  @irena_macri @byrebechij 

Might be easier for you to try yourself though, as you know what keywords you aim for, but still I have found at least 3 spam accounts with your stolen pins quite fast and then moved to another account to check. This is the first time I was able to find something that we all have in common, not only the impressive drop in analytics.

How they do it

I had faint knowledge of how they scrape content - by hastags. But after quick google search: they can scrape images with descriptions fast with the help of hashtags, profile name, board name or keywords. But they seem to use the hastags the most. They then upload the pictures to their new accounts. Sometimes they change the image slightly - add filter, cut the source, put their own watermark. They use the original description or title and add few keywords or hastags to them. They do few thousands of pins, usually link them to one url and wait for their account to grow. They can do anything from using the url to bring traffic to them, deleting the pins after a while and selling the account with number of followers. Mostly I've noticed them using the most used hastags, like the first ones you think of... quotes, travel, recipes, humor, exercise...

Pinterest's latest changes make sense to me now

The removal of hashtags and even when searching the hashtags turning them into normal keywords without "#". The descriptions disappearing... Are they trying to fight the spammers? Were they trying something new around the middle of August too?

But what can we do about it at this scale? 😞

My first thought was - get rid of all hashtags. But stupid me put #Quotes on everything. Did I mention 5k+ pins? Yeah... I am so effed. And how easy I made it for them to get all my pins at once...

I did ask in one of my emails with support if the spammers could cause the drop, that is when I got this answer:
"Due to the recent algorithm change, many partners faced issues with regard to traffic. It's not specific to pins, sites, or due to the spam issue. We've already escalated your issue to our internal team with all the necessary details. I would request you to wait for 8 weeks and then check the status."
But that was in the middle of multiple other questions and before I knew how big the spammer issue is, so I might have not worded it properly.

I hope you're not tired of me coming up with these theories yet, but I really need some answers and as I said this is a big issue anyway.

So what do you guys think? Is this it? Could spammers using our images bring our accounts down?

And is there anything that can be done to save our accounts? Just reporting the spammers is not an option for me, there is so many... And if they are using the hastags and I have them everywhere that would be an endless fight...

- Alesia Skye: @ScatteredQuotes & @Kontentsia (nothing there yet)
3 Kudos
PrettyDIYHome
Just visiting

Its quite possible.  I have reported thousands of stolen pins.  And blocked hundreds of robot followers. I have on a few occasions have one of my blog posts, attached to a stolen unmatching pin image and then sent out.  I have written Pinterest about it, and was told the actual pin wasn't saved by myself so it won't be flagged against me.

0 Kudos
byrebechij
Just visiting

Oh my God.... I never thought of it!!! I just put my name in the Pinterest search results, and I realised that tons of my pins and content have been stolen and used for some Spam websites.... What should I do about this??? Because how can I report them to Pinterest? Which ticket should I use for it? I am so nervous right now!!! 

0 Kudos