cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[MEGA TOPIC] Sudden decrease (around 70%) in Reach: Anyone else?

RE_Advisors

Hi @allnutritiousblog @momentswithjenny

I understand your frustration and let me tell you we're all in the same pot! I have used Pinterest for many years now...personally and for multiple business. There are certainly MAJOR changes occurring and yes, I don't believe its good news for content creators running a business...be it a blog, website, or other income focused content. Here is what I gather from everything that is happening. For me, their intent is obvious....

1. In the communications from Pinterest, Tailwind etc... they are focusing on NEW "FRESH" content. This means completely new content, images, titles, and descriptions (*not hashtags)
  2. The value of previous content (aka. our work) has been greatly diminished and now subject to these new rules...It is their platform...they can do what they want 😞
  3. They won’t share what exactly how many pins is "excessive" for some good reasons, but it also creates a muddled atmosphere for creators. Effectively it’s a guessing game and IMO creates an environment that favors creators who are willing to "risk" penalty to gain more impressions/viewers. 
  4. Their newest creation "Story Pins" are a great idea, but they have 1 major flaw. They don't support external websites/links. In fact, they have repeatedly mentioned the words "on platform audience". 

In summary:

Pinterest wants its content creators to create more and more "FREE", high quality, diverse content for their platform. They will mostly favor creators that have the means to push more content over anyone else (I think quantity over quality will be the byproduct), but the biggest change to me is they want creators to keep their audiences ON PINTEREST! They have stated story pins don't support external links/websites which is really a slap in the face to its content creators. We create high quality content, follow their rules and guidelines with the expectation that we can benefit mutually. I would argue this has changed.

It’s obvious to me they are making moves to capitalize on their users. What makes me even more confused is how Tailwind thinks this is a good thing for their business and seems to be dancing around the fact that Pinterest has made them antiquated. I mean you can schedule pins on Pinterest lol and there is little to no value in re-pinning older content or someone else's. So now content creators can’t even support each other. I wish it were different, I think they had a solid platform for creators, but it looks like Google and SEO is the one and only. These observations are my opinions based on what I have seen and experienced. If I am missing something I open to learning. 

Good luck!

3 Kudos
Kontentsia
Posts regularly

Hi, everyone!

@PinterestJaniceThank you for putting this in one topic and having a look into it! 😊

I'd like to point out again the date that keeps repeating here: 11th of August. Something must have happened there.

My impressions (at ScatteredQuotes profile) were steady for months and so was me posting pins. New pins (now being called "fresh") in like 90% of the time to be exact. The rest was ocassional random repin from others. I don't do group boards or repinning my own content. With being on Pinterest for years, the drop was extremely noticable. Like no way that is intented behavior.

Even if this was some effort from Pinterest to diminished the "free trafic" as some are suggesting, it would be very badly executed. No one would ever be able to grow their accounts organically.

Every new pin I create isn't getting anywhere now. I presume it works like this: new pin shows up in the following tab, in home feed and probably in related pins. If it gets enough engagement from the followers then it gets a boost in search and can live on for a long time. Now it dies immediately. From the one or two saves I sometimes get now on those I can tell people stumbled on the pin directly - visiting my profile or being new to Pinterest and my profile being the only thing they've followed so far.

My "old pins" (posted before 11th) seem to be okay, I still get saves from search and I can even see the saves being affected by trends - so they are searchable. If there was some decrease of impressions from them, it's not as prominent as for the new pins.
(Update: Spoke too soon, I haven't tried to search for my pins in few days, they are gone now, or almost gone from the search. If I do see my image pop up, it is mostly leading to spam. I guess that explains the second drop I see on my analytics around 23th of August.)

Hence with this being known to me I went to support asking what is wrong with the new pins distribution as they are not going anywhere. Maybe the home feed is broken? I got the classic "you're not flagged for spam and fresh pins tips" and after further exchanges ended up with "internal team will check that, wait" and ticket is closed now.

Only thing left is this place where we all share the same story and being stuck on not knowing what to do.

And also I've been wondering... Is this happening just to the few of us that are speaking up, or to everyone but they haven't noticed it? 'Cause in theory people using Tailwind's tribes and group boards could perhaps not see the drop. As far as I understand they often have rules about saving other members content which would make their impressions stay. And people with inconsistent posting, not watching analytics and those with little following could also not notice it. Or attribute it to normal "ebs and flows".

Thank you for reading my rant as that is the only thing that I can do about this. Still hoping it could give someone a clue to what is happening and be able to fix it soon.

For now, let's not give up and hold on, guys! I hope we can get back to our regular pinning soon.

- Alesia Skye: @ScatteredQuotes & @Kontentsia (nothing there yet)
6 Kudos
thetoybuzz
Posts regularly

@PinterestGabby @PinterestJanice

Thank you for consolidating everything in this thread.  I have contacted support numerous times about this same issue over the last 3 months and my site's traffic is still dead. I am lost as to what I can do.

In June, I was told that there was a bug in spam blocker and that it was mistakenly flagging safe content. The rep said Pinterest was working on this to get everything back to normal and they would follow back up as soon as the bug is fixed.  Nobody ever followed up. My site's traffic continued to fall week after week. Like others in this thread, it has disappeared from Search.

I have filed another ticket but received a generic reply from them. I would really appreciate if you escalate this to the engineering team. Thanks so much.

Reference here:  Id #208117

2 Kudos
saurabhankush
Just visiting
1 Kudo
theburntsunsetnovel
Loves to help

@PinterestGabby The story pin I posted as an example has still not rebounded. Nor have I received a response. The impressions that were once 19K that are still near 8K. This is typical for many of my pins. August has come and gone and I was promised way back in May by Logan that this would be fixed. He even closed my help ticket and promised/assured me my issue would be fixed. Will this ever be fixed? Can you point to any progress that has been made on this issue? I've stopped posting on Pinterest because of this. Please let me know if any resolution is in sight.

0 Kudos
PinterestJanice
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all, we don't have any updates to share yet on resolution/clarification on traffic drops. I do want to let you know we are capturing everything reported here and escalating it to the appropriate team. 

3 Kudos

Greetings Everyone!

Prior to this month my page (Craftastic Designs by Michele) was doing well at over 40k monthly viewers, now I'm down to 8k...not sure what happened or how to get the numbers back up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Michele

0 Kudos
projectr_18
Just visiting

Hello, 

I have also experienced a huge drop in traffic since mid-July. My impressions have always been steady and around 2.1m monthly viewers which have now dropped to 427.4k monthly viewers. 

I've given up on Tailwind as it seems an unnecessary cost.

I used to get a lot of repins daily, now I'm lucky if I get 10. 

One thing to note - I seem to be getting a lot of new followers and I wondered whether this may have something to do with that? As they look like spammy accounts...

Please find attached my overview of the last 90 days so you can get an idea of the huge decline I have been experiencing. 

Screenshot 2020-09-03 at 20.47.33.png

I hope Pinterest will find a solution to the problem soon. 

Cheers 🙂

1 Kudo
irena_macri
Just visiting

Me too! I've been using Pinterest for my recipe website for over 5 years. While the audience numbers always fluctuate with seasons, I have never experienced such a sudden and massive drop in impressions and consequently traffic to the website as I have since around July as well. 

I've gone from 1-1.5 million + monthly viewers to 422K monthly viewers and the numbers keep dropping every week/day, even though historically they should be going up from August onwards. I still get views of my pins but the numbers are so much smaller.

I have been posting fresh content, hardly repinning anymore (just some Tribes content in Tailwind) and trying to add more videos. I've reduced the number of daily pins. I've optimised my boards, stopped pinning as much to group boards etc.

I've contacted the support team 3 times to check if maybe my account was marked as SPAM. They keep assuring me that it is not and I get the same canned responses of 'it's just ebs and flows' or 'create more new pins'. I am creating new pins and trying to do what I can, but it's just the ebs and no flow. No sign of things improving.

I've applied for Story Pins 3 times now, hoping that those might get more traction and boost my viewers, but I've not been granted access or heard anything in regards to that request, which makes me think that maybe my account is flagged as spam, so it's not being given access.

Anyways, I feel your pain everyone. It's super frustrating and after years of creating content and sharing on Pinterest platform, I am at a point of giving up on it as well. 

My monthly impressions from April till now below. There was some unexplained spike at the start of July, maybe some pin went viral, I have no idea and not sure what caused it, but pretty much after that, the numbers dropped 35-40% and never recovered. 

@PinterestGabby @PinterestJanice @PinterestRyan - any advice for what else I can do? Is there a way to have someone in the engineering team to see if my account is flagged as Spam as I have a feeling the support replies I've been getting are just canned responses and they don't even check what is really going on. Also, any advice on why I'm not getting Story Pins access after 3 requests? Should there be some kind of reply if you don't get access and as to why? Any help would so so so be appreciated at this stage! I have yet another ticket submitted about this: 209682 and this is my account https://www.pinterest.com/irena_macri/Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 7.48.17 am.png

0 Kudos
DarkandTwistedTV
Just visiting

@PinterestJanice Quick ? - How can there be only one video view, but 24 minutes watched if the clip leading to my YouTube channel is :24 seconds?

Anyone else seeing this kind of stat in their pin stats?Dark & Twisted Pinterest Stat to Post.JPG

0 Kudos