cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[MEGA TOPIC] Sudden decrease (around 70%) in Reach: Anyone else?

KCAEICtheblog
Just visiting

Tried the support tickets again but got the usual condescending emails without any attempt to look into the problem.

After sending tickets spelling out the problem clearly.

"Thank you for contacting us. My name is Finn and I will be assisting you today! 

It's common for people to have trouble finding specific boards and Pins when searching on Pinterest since it is designed to be about discovery, rather than a search engine that surfaces specific results. It can also take up to four days for your account to start appearing in search.

Keep in mind that not all Pins will always show up in search. To keep spam out of Pinterest, we can't provide more information on how we decide which Pins show up in search results."

Followed up and received the following back...

Your Pins and boards are not guaranteed to show in search results — we only yield certain results based on our algorithm. Since there are millions of people on Pinterest, it’s not possible for everyone’s ideas and content to show in search.

In addition to search, we also show your Pins to users who we think would be interested in your content. You can see how often your content appears on Pinterest with Analytics. In order to use Pinterest Analytics, you will need a business account.

Thanks,

Finn

Noting that this clearly shows "Finn" hasn't even bothered to look at our account (as it would be obvious it was a business account), I've asked for the ticket to be escalated, but I'm not holding my breath.

I wonder if it's time to start randomly emailing/contacting people who's linked in profile says they work for pinterest to try and get hold of an actual technical person?

0 Kudos
pennypincher1
Just visiting

Hi,

I am hoping that @PinterestGabby or @PinterestJanice can help me. 

Like many others, I have experienced the sudden drop of Pinterest traffic (mine started mid-December) along with a drop in impressions, clicks and saves on new pins. Many pins are getting less than 1k impressions which is very low (and definitely not normal) for an account of my size. 

It's about a 40% drop at this point (but it's continuing to decline by 20% every week from the previous week). I know it's not as bad as some people's yet -- but it's still a 40% loss of revenue and it is continuing to get worse. 

I've reached out to Pinterest support twice, but they just gave me a copy and paste answer and pretty much ignored everything I said to them in my help ticket. They stated the cause could be due to ebbs and flows, fluctuations because of algorithm changes or pinning already saved content (which I don't even do anymore).  However, I've been on Pinterest for 5 years and I know that this is not normal for my account.

I follow all the Pinterest best practices including making plenty of new, high-quality pins, not repinning, and consistently publishing new content, etc. I have been successfully implementing these strategies during Q3 and Q4 and up until mid-December I had normal traffic so this is not an issue with my pinning strategy.

My account was mistakenly caught up the spam blocker bug back in June, which thankfully they did fix and my traffic returned to normal. However, I am experiencing the exact same problems now that I was when this happened previously.

Could you please escalate this issue and check with engineering to find out if my account is flagged? I would be very grateful

Thank you!

1 Kudo
KCAEICtheblog
Just visiting

Google "the-pinterest-paradox-cupcakes-and-toxicity" ... perhaps this goes some way to explaining the culture and therefore why support can't be very helpfull.... 

1 Kudo
byrebechij
Just visiting

@luamaralstudio Ohh my, that is so long! Is there any changes till now? Or it is the same flat line as it started around June?

0 Kudos
laviviendavilla

@Dianavantankeren

I see your post here is quite old but I am having the same issues now with my monthly viewers dropping like crazy....over the course of days.

Can you please let me know what you did to rectify this problem? I did a search and see you are still on pinterest....?

Thank you!

Shannon JImenez

@laviviendavilla 

0 Kudos
Kontentsia
Posts regularly

I don't get how no one from Pinterest doesn't even find this at least a bit interesting...

We have exactly the same graph with not only @luamaralstudio  but also others in this thread, complete with the little spikes day before the fall. And with the same symptoms:

One day the impressions on new pins are gone (or down 90%), few days after all the pins are gone from search.

All the sadness and frustration aside, how is this not at least interesting?

What sort of "spam" list did our domains fall into, that they are not shown in search, and the support doesn't know about it?

@KCAEICtheblog  Yeah, I can see the communication in Pinterest is terrible still. Everyone keeps calling the community managers here to help, but I don't think they have the means to get in contact with engineering, and the support can only answer to certain scenarios. We can't even report it as a bug, there is only a way to report security bugs, but not something like this... 😕

- Alesia Skye: @ScatteredQuotes & @Kontentsia (nothing there yet)
0 Kudos
laviviendavilla

I have put so much work in. I am now down to 7K impressions. At this point it is not worth me continuing working with pinterest. I am not getting any help except the standard " your account is not in the spam blocker"

0 Kudos
KCAEICtheblog
Just visiting

Yep, I've been doing some 'testing'.

Exhibit A : a pin uploaded through pinterest's UI and _not_ added to tailwind tribes - Recipe pin, new content, been pinned for about 6 days and left alone.

Viewing in pinterest, either 8 or 12 views (seems to alternate), no clicks or repins.

Viewing in pinterest analytics, 22 impressions according to the summary list, then 8 when i click through...

Cannot find the pin in search.

Exhibit B : A pin uploaded through pinterests UI about a month ago, immediately posted to multiple tailwind tribes and obtaining a few repins - 1.1K views (main pinterest screen and analytics within a few 10's of each other), 9 repins (all from tailwind i believe), 4 click throughs

Cannot find the pin in search.

I saw a recommendation recently to disable rich pins... which I'll be trying shortly as there is clearly either

A) a spam flag

B) something wrong with the pinterest algo that is reacting to a combination of factors.

Unfortunately the pinterest help desk either can't help or won't help and won't escalate the ticket for technical review so we're stuck trying to black box triage.

Potentially we could create some spreadsheets to see what attributes/habits/patterns affected people have in common to try and diagnose the issue from the outside.

3 Kudos
Kontentsia
Posts regularly

@KCAEICtheblog 

I've gone through so many theories...

I tried:

• Comparing pins with and without hashtags
  • Pins where my URLs have 10+ images vs URLs with 1 image only
  • Finding some kind of pattern in analytics
  • This weird thing, where my domain does show up in search if I put the search URL in anonymous browser window (logged off vs logged in)
  • Getting stolen pins and spammers reported, that were scraping my content (I've been ignoring them before the drop)
  • All of the little things like: pinning from website vs pinning manually, leaving out the title, schedulling vs publishing immediately, making a new board and pinning into it
  • Slow vs fast pages from my website
  • Some people had the same date of the drop, so I thought maybe there was an update, but then others joined in with different dates - and more are still getting caught in this
  • And for sure many other things...

There is like few of my pins that would support each theory, but many many more that did experience the drop. I always think I figured it out and I'm wrong again.

Still most likely it is the domain getting blocked, excluded, shadowbanned - something...

Because pins I linked to anything else than my domain remained untouched. Or not linking to anything at all, that also works fine.

None of the pins before the drop appear in search. The new ones sometimes do when they get repinned, but they are gone in a week. Like if the filter (or whatever) finds it and excludes it. Since it only happens to pins with my domain URL, it must be connected.

Can't be related to fresh/active pinning either as support likes to suggest... I can see from my analytics that more than half of my all metrics (saves, clicks, impressions) came from others posting from my website and repining. So even if I just stopped pinning I wouldn't have seen this 90% drop, but only like 20-30%.

I still do email with support back and forth, this is the last message I've got.

(Edit: oh, inserting images doesn't seem to work now, I've attached it instead)

It makes me happy to see that it is not a copy-paste answer, that the person actually admits to see the issue, but at this point I'm afraid to be hopeful. I did get my tickets escalated before, but it never led anywhere. I once even waited 8 weeks as they suggested that would be the max time they would take to fix it and get to me. That was in September/October.

In conclusion I think we are waiting for a bug fix, I don't think there is anything we can do about it ourselves.

Though I have to admit I somewhat enjoy trying to figure it out on my own, hence all the testing 😅

- Alesia Skye: @ScatteredQuotes & @Kontentsia (nothing there yet)
1 Kudo
handz
Just visiting

So glad I have found this thread, 

This happened to me as well, from 3,4M  to 1,6M and dropping, my new pins get like 100-500 impressions!  Absolutely ridiculous.  I do not know if I am shadowbanned, my website is or what happened, but seeing so many here having the same issue is eye-opening.  Sadly I am witnessing the same stuff on Instagram lately, my account went from 5-10 posts in August to 800-2000 overnight!!! and it never came back, reach is 8-20% from 50-70% and it only gets better with a paid ad on the post.  I won't be too surprised if Pinterest same as IG slowly going this route of pushing people to pay money for advertising (and of course those who have this as a business).  Anyway, it is extremely frustrating, the Pinterest traffic to my website dropped 60-70% since July, I am practically only getting traffic from old pins and pins of other people, my new pins (99% fresh) are invisible.

0 Kudos