cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How best to add text on your Idea Pins - in app or in a design tool?

alisammeredith
Posts regularly

OK, this one is pretty picky, but it came up on the home design webinar and we got two different answers.

The question is, is it better to add text to your Idea Pins (image or video) via the Pin creator tool, or via a design tool like your video or image editor?

One host said use the creator, which made sense to me. If Pinterest wants to use that information to classify your Pin, it's easily available with that input.

The other said you can use partner tools and add the text there. Apparently indicating that their API pulls that over to Pinterest.

So, does that mean that NOT using a partner tool makes it harder for Pinterest to pull out the text? I know it can read the text on images (according to the engineering blog), but it would make sense that feeding the text directly to Pinterest would be a more reliable way to go.

One thing I will say is that sometimes Idea Pins where the creative was made elsewhere can look a little overly produced, which is why I like to add text in the app.  It looks more authentic to me, but that could be just a personal preference.

Appreciate any thoughts here.

2 Kudos
2 Replies
thehalcyonhive
Loves to help

I agree with what you're saying @alisammeredith and have wondered the same thing!

A lot of my clients are in the design industry so they like a super-curated, on-brand look for their Pinterest account so they would rather create idea pins in a partner tool (like Canva), BUT with the push for engagement and additional editing tools on the Pinterest mobile app, it would seem like Pinterest would favor the idea pins created in the app.  I've tried testing this before but I can't seem to get a reliable result. 

Curious to hear what others think!

----------
❤︎ Cali, Pinterest Strategist at The Halcyon Hive
Please follow me on: PINTEREST and INSTAGRAM
Set up your Pinterest account to attract your ideal audience ⇨ FREE mini-course

1 Kudo
alisammeredith
Posts regularly

Thanks for adding to the discussion @thehalcyonhive ! It might be a case like with scheduling - if it is a partner tool it doesn't matter. But I was surprised to think that the design tools could pass the text to Pinterest. Or maybe it doesn't care about the text coming in directly at all. Probably not a huge factor, but I'll take all the help I can get 🙂

1 Kudo