cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account has died

oursocalledlife
Just visiting

I'm having issues with my pinterest account whereby it has just dropped off the face of the earth and I can't figure out why. 

Impressions have fallen off a cliff over the last few weeks and traffic to my site is now almost 0 having been really steady over the last few years. 

When searching any terms that associate with my pins that have ranked really well, there's just nothing showing. Same with searching for the url, it just returns no results. 

There's nothing in my account to suggest that I've been penalised for anything, and no issues with the URL when clicking on my own pins to test whether our site had been wrongfully marked as spam. 

I've emailed Pinterest support, but yet to hear back. 

Is there anything else I can do as this is having a severe impact on our revenue at the moment. 

1 Kudo
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oursocalledlife
Just visiting

Just an update on the situation for everyone. 

Finally received a reply from Pinterest support after three tickets being lodged.

There was an issue and hopefully it can get resolved soon. Just a little bit of hope for those potentially facing a similar issue at the moment. 

We looked into this and found a bug in our spam blocker that was mistakenly flagging safe content. We’re working on this now to get everything back to normal - this may take several days.

We apologize for any inconvenience. We work hard to keep spammy links off of Pinterest and at times the system flags false-positives. We appreciate your help here, and as always, welcome any feedback.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
pinterestmarketingexpert
Loves to help

Hello and sorry to hear about your organic activity. Pinterest has changed a lot since they went public and as you can see there's more emphasis on IDEA pins which keeps Pinners on the platform and not your website. What's this telling you? In addition to it's fierce competition for more eyeballs on the home feed you can say you've got to pay to play. 

You have to be very clever about your organic activity the types of content you create. Bottom line, it's time to invest in ads. Remember what doesn't cost you money costs you time. 

1 Kudo
simplepinmedia
Loves to help

@oursocalledlife Welcome to the PBC! 

This can a tough one since there are so many variables when it comes to account dips. We are seeing drops in traffic for sure across many accounts as Pinterest has changed so much lately. 

My first thought is are you creating Idea Pins? 

Idea Pins are now the top prioritized pin format on Pinterest. If you aren't creating Idea Pins on a consistent basis (weekly) you may continue to see less reach and less traffic. It's also important for Idea Pins to be useful/helpful to the pinner. This makes your intent on Idea Pins different from similar formats on other platforms different, such as stories. With Idea Pins, you want to leave your audience with something valuable/actionable/useful to them. Hopefully, that makes sense. 

What's your pinning strategy? Pinterest has changed quite a bit over the last year. If you're still doing what we did a year or 2 ago, it's very likely you will see drops. Are you creating new content with fresh ideas for your audience on Pinterest? 

These are just some initial thoughts without knowing your account and strategy. 

If you need some resources for Pinterest strategy, we're hosting a live training on Monday the 18th.  All about what's working on Pinterest right now... https://www.simplepinmedia.com/pinterest-marketing-class/ to sign up. 

-Tabby

-Simple Pin Media
simplepinmedia.com
2 Kudos
oursocalledlife
Just visiting

Not entirely sure what's happened to my reply. Seems to have been marked as spam for some reason. 

Thanks for the replies @simplepinmedia and @pinterestmarketingexpert.

Yup, we are doing Idea pins and they're pretty much lifeless too. 

Something appears to have happened on the first of October, whether solely to our account or a change on pinterest in general that has killed all of our pins impressions down to zero. 

I did attach a screenshot in my previous attempt at a reply, but I'm worried that's why it was marked as spam and removed immediately so not going to try again. 

Across all of our pinterest content the impressions have dropped on the same day. 

Also when searching for any of our content on pretty niche topics that only a few others have created pins around we don't appear. Nor does any of our pins when searching for either our brand name or URL.

It's looking quite a lot like some flag has been placed against our content causing it to drop off the face of the earth, but I can't imagine why. Everything we do is legitimate and we try and play ball as much as we can with the guidelines. We were even one of the first people asked to try out idea pins in the UK and my other half was approached previously to speak at an event in London by the Pinterest team but sadly couldn't make it. 

Just can't really see why we're having this issue and not getting much reply from Pinterest support at the moment sadly. 

0 Kudos
simplepinmedia
Loves to help

@oursocalledlife That does sound like a drastic drop. I would keep trying to contact support - at least once a week. We've had many members and clients tell us they finally got help from support after many tries. 

-Tabby

-Simple Pin Media
simplepinmedia.com
2 Kudos
pinterestmarketingexpert
Loves to help

@oursocalledlife TIPS for food verticals that we found our clients having success with:

1. Standard pins

- create step by step screenshots in a multi tiled image.

- numbered text overlay; for example "65 Vegan Recipes to..."

2. Video pins 

These will at least get you outbound links versus IDEA pins. 

3. Investing in ads

Pinterest is a business for profit. They need to please their investors. 

1 Kudo
malenapermentier

Hi @oursocalledlife,

I found your message looking for solutions for my own problem. What you describe has happened to my account on July 28th, and I have not been able to recover any traffic since. It has only gotten worse. 

Some people say it's a new type of punishment Pinterest gives to accounts, often wholly without reason. Basically, all your pins are getting de-indexed, and your new pins are only shown to a tiny portion of your followers. 

The Pinterest help desk has not been helpful whatsoever; I've only received a ton of standard replies until now. Maybe once or twice, the person on the other end said she would refer my issue to someone else on the team. But nothing happened with that either. 

The last few months being under this block, it seems to me that they keep throwing out an algorithm change on the first of the month. At the same time, accounts are getting their rankings removed.

I wish I could be more helpful than this. If I have any updates on how/when my account is fixed, I will update you. 

0 Kudos
ozgurtagay
Posts regularly

Are you from the pinterest support team? @pinterestmarketingexpert 

0 Kudos
pinterestmarketingexpert
Loves to help

I am not @ozgurtagay What did you need help with? Thanks

0 Kudos
bodymindmood
Loves to help

@oursocalledlife Hi there welcome to the PBC

I read over your post and I am going to go out on a limb here but having had some experience with this here and on other platforms I thought I would share.

When you have some time go to your Pinterest Account and check your Followers - look for bots and any followers that haven’t engaged with you for a while or accounts that don’t look right then REMOVE THEM. Bots look like followers but like they aren’t they have like 1 Follower or 0 Followers.

I do this now, on a regular basis I have found that periodically bots will show up and in some cases disappear. I realize that no platform would ever say that your Followers could be the culprit for low stats but I believe that these may actually play into some of the “low numbers” that people have been complaining about.

I further discovered by doing this especially on Instagram (I did an Instagram cleanse) my numbers went up e.g. Views and Likes et al. and I have begun to see some turnaround on Pinterest as I have been following my stats and removing those unwanted bots and followers who do not engage for long periods of time or weird followers in addition, I have looked at my own Follow Strategy and discovered that the more I follow other Pinners in my vertical the more positive my stats are not to mention my experience on the platform.

I am just sharing this I have no Pinterest Data to support this just my own personal trial and error.

Perhaps this will help you and I hope it does.

Lisa

1 Kudo