Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Shopping Suggestions on Content

snugzmeow
Loves to help
Labels (2)

Now that Pinterest Earn has ended, how do you all feel about Pinterest forcing shoppable links and suggestions on your posts? 

example: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/848787861037503210/

I have no idea if people actually click these shopping links, but they aren't my affiliate links and if someone makes a purchase, who is getting the commission? 

Time and time again, I turned off "shopping suggestions" on all my content and they would appear anyways. 

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts on this were. When I was making money from Pinterest Earn I rationalized the shopping links because I was also earning income. Now Pinterest, or someone, is advertising on all my content and I'm earning $0 from Pinterest. 

I have actually considered changing all my boards and content to secret or removing it because of this. 

I really don't think this is fair, either remove the shopping suggestions or pay creators again! 

1 Kudo
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dogsndecor
Loves to help

@snugzmeow I noticed this a while back and to "fix" it I add my affiliate links/products to my own pins.  See this one for example:  https://www.pinterest.com/pin/523402787957146156/

This is how it looks when someone is scrolling

dogsndecor_0-1670257396635.png

I add my products (affiliate links) by clicking on the shopping icon and follow the prompts:

dogsndecor_1-1670257491310.png

dogsndecor_2-1670257535444.png

Does all that make sense?

View solution in original post

2 Kudos
3 Replies
dogsndecor
Loves to help

@snugzmeow I noticed this a while back and to "fix" it I add my affiliate links/products to my own pins.  See this one for example:  https://www.pinterest.com/pin/523402787957146156/

This is how it looks when someone is scrolling

dogsndecor_0-1670257396635.png

I add my products (affiliate links) by clicking on the shopping icon and follow the prompts:

dogsndecor_1-1670257491310.png

dogsndecor_2-1670257535444.png

Does all that make sense?

2 Kudos
snugzmeow
Loves to help

@dogsndecor WOW!! I don't even have this version of Pinterest and I just updated xD you must be on a different version which allows links on Idea Pins already (I think that feature is in beta) 

I absolutely have no reason to use Pinterest as it is right now... 😞 I keep turning off "Show Shopping Suggestions" on every single post and it still ads them. It feels so deeply unfair that others are earning off links on my viral content and now there isn't even Pinterest Earn. 

Would you remove your content or continue to let others earn from the ads and links Pinterest forces on it? I am really torn what to do 😞 

1 Kudo
veronikalipar
Loves to help

I totally agree with you. I turned shopping suggestions off too, and always make sure to tag products in my pins. But if someone pins a photo directly from my website, the shopping suggestions still work, and someone else gets the commission. Well, the shopping suggestions still seem to work on my pins, too. The tag product doesn't always work, and if tag product doesn't work you get shopping suggestion anyway (even if you turn them off).

0 Kudos