cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get the most from Idea Pins with these tips

88% helpful (35/40)

Get the most from Idea Pins with these tips

Creators_GTM_StoryPin_Create_GoldenMilk_04 (1).gif

Hello and welcome to our guide to getting the most from our newest Pin format, Idea Pins! We hope this will help serve as a guide to creating best in class Idea Pin content. By educating yourself on these best practices you have a greater chance of successfully growing your audience on Pinterest while offering inspiration to Pinners.

To start creating Idea Pins, go here.

🎥 Video

• That’s it. That’s the tip. Here’s why: Video’s great for telling a story, showing how to do something or talking to your viewers. Start with a video on the first page—it will stand out. But make sure any videos in your Idea Pin have text since sound-off is the default.

📖 Go for more pages

• Idea Pins help you share an idea, recipe, outfit, travel guide—you name it. Pinners like swiping through content. So use the space you need to tell a great story. (We think that’s usually 5 or more pages.)

📝 Explain your idea—really

• Write. Add text. Play with colors and fonts. Make sure the information's all there without linking out. Having text on a few pages—and tagging topics before you publish—are both key. It helps Pinterest understand what the Idea Pin is about to be able to show it to more people. 

💡 Create it yourself

• Create an original Idea Pin within Pinterest—don't just upload content from somewhere else. And use the content that you own. Full stop. 

🎭 Actually tell a story

• Great Idea Pins are helpful, inspiring, or different. People can act on them. So, plan yours out like you would a real story. Aim for a beginning, middle, and end. Avoid adding links or making it look like an obvious ad. 

👀 Make it human

• Idea Pins are a way for people to get to know the creator behind the idea. Don’t be afraid to narrate your idea or show us your face. It helps Pinners connect with and discover new creators to follow.

🔥 Quick quality check

• Idea Pins are meant to feel more authentic and straight-from-your-phone. That said, here are a few things to keep in mind:
    • Check your borders. Are the edges of the screen covered? If not, pinch the screen to resize.
    • Is the lighting the best it can be? Natural light does wonders.
    • Do the videos and images in your Idea Pin fit together style-wise? Filters help.
    • Make sure the bases are covered: It’s high-resolution, the focus isn’t blurry and what you see feels crisp.

For more Idea Pin inspiration, check out this board

Idea Pins updates:

• 3/9/2021 - Multi-draft storage for Idea Pins on iOS has increased to 3g (up from 1g). Creators will see a banner that indicates creation is disabled when they reach 1g of storage left on their device. This is an improvement to previous storage limits and helps out those who plan and store multiple pieces of content ahead of time, or those who use very high quality images and videos. 
  • 3/9/2021 - Reminder to keep both your Pinterest App, and device operating system updated to ensure the best experience with Idea Pins.  Not only does that mean you get to easily see the latest and greatest features, but it ensures you are able to use the Idea Pin feature with no interruptions to your access.
  • 3/9/2021 - Idea Pin creation also requires camera permissions; if you encounter issues accessing the asset picker or the camera when you try to create on mobile, double-check that Pinterest has permissions to access your camera in your device settings.  
  • 9/17/2020 - When you create a Idea Pin, it must follow our Community guidelines. If a Idea Pin violates our guidelines, you may lose access to Idea Pins.
  • 6/30/2020 - Idea Pin creation on Pinterest app versions older than 8.20 will be disabled very soon. 🚨Please update your app ASAP if you would like to continue creating Idea Pins on the app. 🚨

<<Start creating>>

Labels (2)
Comments
causewecanevents

I just want to say this post is SO helpful! I've been trying to figure out what the best practices for a story pin is and this just tells me everything I need to know, thank you!

xzouix

UPDATE: It has been working better now, occasionally the fonts shrink to a micro level after the pin is published via PC. The work from phone is definitely much easier. 🙂 Pinterest is a website I go to on a daily basis. I had a lot of success getting the exposure I needed for my business (so important for every solo entrepreneur). People seem to really like my fashion and my editorial photography and also photos from my collaborations with other photographers and stylists.

https://www.pinterest.com/xzouix/_created/

Hello, so I have been trying the pins
and finally was lucky to upload three story pins without an error. Well - almost.

I tested both - via phone and via pc. when i upload via pc, it won't let me choose the cover layout. I tested it twice. Both times I chose full frame picture, but both times I got the top half frame with picture and bottom part with color layout. What do I do wrong? I made sure I picked the full frame picture - I made two same pins, both had the same error.
you can take a look at @xzouix 

thank you in advance for the advice

PinterestGabby

@causewecanevents ahh that makes us so happy!! Was just checking out your page and OMG the photos for your Story Pins are absolutely gorgeous. I love this one. 💜

PinterestGabby

Hey hey, @xsouix! Would love to help figure out what's going on here -- can you send me the link to the Pins you're specifically having trouble with so I can share with our team? Feel free to send in a private message if you'd like. Thanks and look forward to hearing from you. 🙂 

xzouix

@PinterestGabbyYes, Thank you!

xoxopresent

Have been looking for a tutorial, thank you very much for your help! I'll apply for a story pin right away

hometalk

Hi @PinterestGabby ,

Is there a limit or best practice when it comes to how many stories I can post per day/week? 

TIA!

astrophobicx

For some reason, I'm not being given access to story pins. I've been on Pinterest for years now and my two friends who just joined Pinterest were given access before me. Help?

ItalianFoodRecipes

Hi everyone! I've request the access to story pins from a while but I didn't get any answer and I can't request again, I tried with 4 tickets to the support but I don't get any answer.. can someone help me please? what should I do? thanks a lot 

financasreal_

Muito bom. Comecei a usar esse novo formato de Pin e já estou cheio de ideias.

Version history
Last update:
‎06-09-2021 10:18 AM
Updated by: