Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

When should I add new creative to an Ad group?

thesolopreneursociety
Just visiting
Labels (4)

I've got a promoted pin campaign running for my personality quiz and it's been performing (delivering subscribers + buyers) very nicely for months - it's been running since early Jan. For about a month now my CTR + CPC are slowing increasing and my new leads are decreasing - what should I do to help my ads perform better?

Should I be adding a new ad group with new creative, just add new creative, or create a new campaign altogether? This is where I feel so lost with advertising.

Optimizing campaigns is where I struggle the most with advertising on Pinterest. I'm not sure how to take my numbers and make the right decision. Can anyone help??

1 Kudo
8 Replies
PinterestFernanda

Hi @thesolopreneursociety, welcome to the PBC! 💚

You can find some useful tips for optimization campaigns and settings for CPC bids here in this blog post by @thehalcyonhive. I hope this helps and in the meantime, let me know if you have any more questions! 

3 Kudos
thehalcyonhive
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Thanks for the shoutout @PinterestFernanda

@thesolopreneursociety it sounds like you've optimized your campaign nicely so far!  I'll generally add in new creatives (to the existing ad group) when the "frequency" starts creeping up and the CTR starts to decrease.  That means people are starting to see the same pin multiple times so a fresh pin could help.  Also look at your outbound clicks.  CTR is a measurement of pin clicks to impressions, but pin clicks aren't always a click-through.  If you are running a consideration campaign, I would turn on outbound click optimization in the settings.  This will help target people who are more likely to click through to your site.  

Alternatively, you probably have enough data on your signup tag to run a conversion campaign.  You should see your signups increase with a conversion campaign since they are optimized for the conversion vs the click. 🙂

Tagging @heatherfarrisco@JanaOMedia @jenvazquezmedia @andrealidesigns @simplepinmedia for their thoughts on optimizing too!

2 Kudos
thesolopreneursociety
Just visiting

Thanks @PinterestFernanda!  The article pretty much addresses optimizing a new campaign. My struggle is with "aged" campaigns that stop performing as well as they did the first few months. @thehalcyonhive  dropped some great suggestions below, so I really appreciate you tagging her and the other ladies!! 🍷

0 Kudos
thesolopreneursociety
Just visiting

THANK YOU for this epic feedback @thehalcyonhive!

That's what I thought - people are starting to see the same creative.

I was also wondering if I should move my ad spend over to a conversion campaign now - and if not, when the right time is.

I think I'm going to create a new conversion campaign with the new creative I have... rather than update the creative in the existing consideration campaign... and see how that goes.

Should I create this new conversion campaign from scratch?

When you say "look at your outbound clicks" - do you mean in my general analytics or is there a place in the ads menu I can look that up specific to my campaign?

0 Kudos
hostesstori
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

You have a lot of great tips already shared here. I'lll add two to keep in mind:

1. Running full funnel campaigns are ideal so I wouldn't pause a consideration campaign to launch a conversion campaign, I would shift some of the budget so that you have both running. I like to keep 25% of my total budget on consideration so I keep fueling my conversion campaigns. 
  2. I am ALWAYS optimizing my creative but I never make any  tweaks until the ad creative has had 10 days to run first. 
1 Kudo
thesolopreneursociety
Just visiting

Thanks a TON for these great tips @hostesstori! I had no idea a consideration campaign would fuel a conversion campaign, soooo good to know!

Quick follow-up question, would you have both the consideration + conversion campaign running to the same opt-in, which in my case in my personality quiz? This won't cannibalize either campaign, right?

Or would to be best to have one run to the quiz and the other campaign run to my mini-course (that's related to the same quiz + offer)?

0 Kudos
thehalcyonhive
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Great tips @hostesstori!

Another campaign strategy would be:

1. Conversion Campaign to the freebie (targeting keywords, interests) 

2. Retargeting campaign (consideration) to the mini course (targeting email list, website visitors, engagement audience)

(70-80% budget to prospecting and 20-30% of budget to retargeting)

I've had success with that campaign strategy for other clients.  And if budget allows you can run that additional prospecting campaign (consideration or brand awareness) to continue to feed data to your Pinterest tag for the conversion campaign and the retargeting.

As for Outbound Clicks - 
There is a column in the ads reporting menu (you may need to add it in if you don't see it).  Pinterest uses Pin Clicks to measure CTR and CPC, but I like to compare my Outbound Clicks to the Pin Clicks.  If OC are less than 30% of your total pin clicks then it may mean your creatives need a refresh since only a third of people click through from the closeup.  (Note: there are no specific guidelines on what a good percentage of outbound clicks to pin clicks are.  I'm just basing this off campaigns I've run.  Campaigns I currently have running in the B2B niche are around 50% are outbound clicks.)

1 Kudo
thesolopreneursociety
Just visiting

Oh, WOW... this is sooo helpful @thehalcyonhive!!!! I could hug you so hard right now. 🤗

Thank you sooo much for the breakdown of this campaign strategy, this is exactly what I've been looking for. 

I looked and my outbound clicks are 72% of my total pin clicks so now I'm wondering if I made the wrong move by adding two new creatives and pausing the existing two pins that were running. I can't help but think the creative was getting stale after running it for the last 5 months though.

As of yesterday, I've now got two new pins running in my existing consideration campaign (to my personality quiz) + a new conversion campaign running with three new pins (also, pointed to my personality quiz). I'll add the retargeting campaign once I have time to get the mini-course done next month. 

I'm so glad I took the chance and posted in here. My expectations weren't high with how much run around I've gotten from the 25+ Pinterest Partner Solutions reps I've been assigned to over the years. 

You ladies have been sooo valuable + helpful! Thank you for helping me continue to work through my Pinterest ads game!! I'm so grateful for all of you!🍷

0 Kudos