Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Shopify and Image Selection

yogasanamats
Just visiting

In my Shop tab, I would like the first image to appear (the front of the product) and not one of the other images -- but it appears that Pinterest is pulling in random images (sometimes the 2nd, 3rd or last)? How do I direct it so it pulls in the first product image?

4 Kudos
40 Replies
youwoodenbelieveit

So basically you're saying we just have to live with it? A solution would be good. Your algorithm clearly isn't working. I have just had to delete my second images from my website which only show a part of my product because your algorithm thought part of the image would sell better than showing the whole thing.

7 Kudos
firstdayofhome
Posts regularly

You can add me to this list of concerned shop owners.

I just launched my Shopify store, and not only are the images on Pinterest randomly picked, but Pinterest also has randomly chosen different price variants from my product pages. Many products show up at a higher price than the entry-level/default price.

I see some accounts that don't have any prices showing on their Shop tab, so I'm wondering how they did that.

If anyone knows, please let me know!

3 Kudos
thehalcyonhive
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Hi @firstdayofhome - Welcome to PBC!

I believe in the the Shopping Office Hours last night, the team mentioned they are actively working on more Shop Tab customizations (i.e. image selection).  They have heard us loud and clear - I just don't know when that will roll out.  They said they have a lot of updates planned for early 2022, but hopefully this one will happen sooner!

As far as the pricing thing goes, that didn't come up in the office hours.  You might try submitting that in the help form: https://help.pinterest.com/en/contact 

At least that way it will bring it to their attention.   

4 Kudos
firstdayofhome
Posts regularly

Thanks @thehalcyonhive! I didn't get any notifications about the office hours yesterday, but I saw that they had one. I'm hoping there will be a solution soon.

I already have a help request in process on the pricing thing. Hopefully, that issue will get resolved.

Question (for you or anyone else): Does it make sense to create standard pins (or Idea Pins) for products in a Shopify store? I'm used to pinning for my blog, but this is my first time trying to get eyeballs on products. I'll eventually do ad campaigns, but I'm wondering if tagging a product would work for Idea Pins too. This at least would give control over the images shown.

2 Kudos
thehalcyonhive
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

No worries about missing the office hours, @PinterestGabby or @PinterestJazmin will be posting the reply soon!  Also, they have plans to make it a regular thing so keep your eye out for the next Open office hours.  🙌🏻

I would definitely recommend creating additional pins (standard, video, idea, collections, etc.) of your products.  This just gets more content of yours onto Pinterest and in front of a wider audience. Over time, you'll be able to see (in your analytics overview and conversion insights) which pin formats performs the best for you. 

What I've been doing for some of my e-commerce clients is creating idea pins and tagging their products and also going back and adding product tags to older existing pins. 

Hope this helps! 🙂

4 Kudos
firstdayofhome
Posts regularly

Great! Thanks for the advice. It is helpful to get another perspective.

Hopefully, I'll see you on the next office hours call!

1 Kudo
supmogo

We are also having this issue. 

The Pinterest algorithm is using a picture of the back of our product box to display.

Would really hope that this is getting solved at this point because it is frustrating to run paid advertisement to a picture of the back of a box.  

It's already the start of holiday season! SOS.

2 Kudos
PinterestDebora

Hi @supmogo welcome to PBC! It is expected that if the product on Shopify has variants, Pinterest will create one pin for each variant and whichever is the main image that is the one we will use. We are still working on a fix for this, keep an eye on our newsroom for all the updates.
In the meantime, if you rather select your own image, I suggest creating a separate product on Shopify for the variants. For example: the current setup now is a Pen, with 3 colours (red, black, blue), on Shopify, 1 product you can set variants, what I’m suggesting is making a product specific for the variant you have, so it is 1 image for each product. We are sorry for the inconvenience this causes. We appreciate your feedback and I will make sure to forward it internally. 

1 Kudo
SvalaCo
Just visiting

Following this thread as I have the same Catalog issue. Thank you! 🙂 

1 Kudo
echohillforge
Just visiting

So in Shopify you can use a specific image to represent each variant... will Pinterest at least prioritize that image?

Having multiple product pages on your website each with only one image representing one single variant seems like a terrible work-around.

The issue isn't just about variants, either. Like many others on here, some of my products are being 'ingested' with a main image as the installations instructions or some detail on the 6th or 7th pic. Hardly effective.

Pinterest and this whole process is so counter intuitive. Is there a good link that you can provide for creating a data feed manually?

1 Kudo