Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Is Pinterest event tag implementation even possible with Squarespace 7.1?

foxfacedesign
Just visiting

A lot of people have posted about various issues implementing Pinterest's event tags, so I'm sorry to pile on. But all of the other threads about this either haven't been active in a while, or don't offer an actual solution. Big thanks to @andrealidesigns and @bodymindmood for trying to help me out though.

Ok so, on Squarespace I used the Code Injection panel to put in my base code, and it works. I also have some basic code that Pinterest offers for event tags: Page Visit and Add To Cart in the Header section, and Checkout in the Order Confirmation Page section. As of right now I don't have any of my product_ids, quantities, values, etc. in there.

Over the past 3 weeks I've read every bit of documentation, read multiple forum threads (Squarespace and Pinterest Business Community), and been back and forth with multiple support people from Squarespace and Pinterest. I tried a lot of different "solutions", and none of them really worked. I won't get into the specifics though, or this will be a really long post.

So, all I need to know is, whether anyone has figured out how to properly implement Pinterest event tags for Page Visit, Add To Cart, and Checkout on Squarespace 7.1.

This would include

How do you list out all of your product ids (with all variants, I have over 2000)?

How do you pass back dynamic values for value and quantity?

Where does the code go, and is there a way to access those areas on Squarespace 7.1?

The exact JavaScript syntax for all code.

And I think that's it. If anyone can provide this information I – and many many other people – will be very grateful. Thanks!

1 Kudo
21 Replies
bodymindmood
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

@foxfacedesign @andrealidesigns 

Hi there so when I installed the tags originally I honestly copied and pasted the code into Squarespace and to be even more truthful I simply followed the Pinterest Instructions that were given and placed them in the areas that Pinterest suggested for Squarespace. Albeit, this was 2 years ago and there was not a lot of to do in terms of adding the code and getting it going - I had no products so I didn't move beyond that or even try to install the code that was provided by Pinterest. I honestly did it because I was curious. 

I did not add the Code Pinterest provided all over my site only where it was supposed to go and I made sure that the Code was always firing first inotherwords, in Code Injector I added the Pinterest Code first (1) and anything else after that code - Pinterest seemed to like to be first.

I eventually uninstalled the tag et al. because I don't have products and at this point I didn't see the need to use the tag(s) + I was tired of seeing the Your Pinterest Tag is Unhealthy flag on my account low checkouts on site.

In Squarespace I used the Code Injector function in 7.1 and 7.0 and the older versions of Squarespace there wasn't a Pinterest Tag - and at that point you had to manually install all your products (individually) because Squarespace didn't offer the API feature .... earlier versions.

I hope that provides some insight for you - I am no developer but I understand code.

Lisa

2 Kudos
bodymindmood
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

@foxfacedesign 

I am with @andrealidesigns on this Congrats on hiring a developer I am certain this will make your life much easier and you will love your Squarespace site even more.

I'm happy you were able to get some information and that @andrealidesigns was able to provide some information to you and to her point please come back and share info on this issue if you can.

Alternatively, please keep coming back to say hi.

LIsa.

2 Kudos
foxfacedesign
Just visiting

Once again, thanks for all the help!

@andrealidesigns  I'm going to pass the new info about the API on to my developer. I'm sure any help I can give him will make the process faster... and hopefully cheaper 😅

@bodymindmood It sounds like your situation was a bit different than mine. Definitely appreciate you sharing all that info though. It's interesting to see how the process has evolved over the years.

And I'll be sure to post updates with any progress on this. Hopefully he gets it all sorted out in a way I can understand. If so, I'll make a post to share the process he used to solve it. I figure if it can be done for someone like me – with over 2000 product variants – it will work for anyone with a shop.

2 Kudos
andrealidesigns
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

@foxfacedesign Happy to help my dear! I'm looking forward to your updates! 🤓📌

1 Kudo
bodymindmood
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Yayyy!!!

We truly are an effective team.... Love It!

Lisa

1 Kudo
foxfacedesign
Just visiting

Ok, so the answer to my question about whether this is possible is a "yes". The developer I hired, George Dilthey (george.dilthey@gmail.com) was able to get it working. BUT, I really don't think it's something that someone without a thorough understanding of JavaScript and Google Tag Manager could do on their own. I won't bother trying to explain what he did, because I don't really understand it myself.

Anyway, I recommend anyone else having this issue reach out to George. It took him 4 days (part time) to complete my event tags, and he charged me $500 for it. I think this is pretty reasonable, considering I have over 2000 product variants. If you had like 10 products, I don't think it would take long at all.

Now I just have to wait for Pinterest to mark my tags as healthy and approve me for the Verified Merchant program. Hopefully that happens soon. Seems like I've been trying to get this to work for ages.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me along the way. While I wasn't able to fix it on my own, it gave me a better understanding of how things work, and got me to create useful files for my developer to use to speed the process up.

3 Kudos
bodymindmood
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Hi Happy Friday!

I'm really glad you were able to get this resolved and I am keeping my fingers crossed that you get the VMP Program and Tags settled soon.

Please keep coming back and checking in I would love to know how you are doing and perhaps you can share any information you gather on these issues here on the PBC it will help us and other Pinterest Users who might be having difficulties with the same issues.

Lisa

2 Kudos
andrealidesigns
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

@foxfacedesign 

This is great news! I'm glad that although we couldn't assist you in fixing it yourself, we were able to give you a better understanding.

I'm with @bodymindmood , we would love to see you here in the future to let us know how things are and if you have any additional info that may be useful to others that share similar challenges. 

Good luck, my dear! 🤓📌

2 Kudos
foxfacedesign
Just visiting

I did it! Or, we did it! Either way, I'm now a Verified Merchant. 😁

Now I need to make my product pins look better. My issue is that I look at other people's product pins, and they look a lot better than mine: line breaks in product descriptions, full product descriptions instead of them being cut off after a certain character count, drop-down menus/buttons for product variant options, a carousel of their alternate images, and a nice blue button that says "Visit" (mine says "See price").

I'm pretty sure I have all of the necessary stuff in my product feed for this (line breaks in non-HTML descriptions, alternate image links, prices, etc.), but mine look nothing like that. I don't want to change the subject of this thread, and make it go on forever. So, maybe someone can direct me to another thread or article or something to help me with this. Thanks!

Someone else's:

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 1.08.36 PM.png

 Vs mine:

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 12.50.13 PM.png

1 Kudo
bodymindmood
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

@foxfacedesign @andrealidesigns @PinterestJazmin @PinterestGabby @PinterestJoan 

Yayyyy! 

I am so happy for you! Its successes like yours that make me so happy to be a part of the PBC.

Thank you for your patience and understanding during the process and I was so glad that @andrealidesigns was able to share the best tech knowledge. As for your new question our Managers have just opened up the Mailbag where you can drop questions in that can be answered by other Pioneers I have added the link if you want to have a look at it.

I appreciate you coming back to let us know and I hope you will keep coming back to share all things Pinterest.

Lisa

1 Kudo