Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

What's Getting Your Idea Pins Seen? Starting off with an Image or Video? Or Something Else

dogsndecor
Loves to help

Happy Friday Friends!!

Have you noticed a difference in impressions with whether or not you start your idea pin off with an image or a video.  How about Text Overlay or Not?  I often look at the "looking for more ideas? Check out the latest trends..."  and the trending pins seem to have images as their "cover photo".  Out of these 27 top trending pins in home decor only 2 (circled in yellow) had videos as the cover image or started off as a video and only 7 of them showed text overlay.

Would you take any "stock" in this or not?  I really want to get more impressions and engagement on my idea pins, which means I need to do what Pinterest or the users seem to be wanting.  But is this what they really want?  lol  Heck if I know.  I should probably stop analyzing it and just create.  😄  

Elizabeth

dogsndecor_0-1646420211417.png

dogsndecor_1-1646420283252.png

dogsndecor_2-1646420328928.png

3 Kudos
11 Replies
ideachicretail
Loves to help

@dogsndecor Hi Elizabeth, your last words are the ones for all of us to follow! I am an analyzer too so let´s see what we can do together. To answer your question I have not seen a significant difference in regards to how Idea Pins start. Over time I am still most tuned into what gets saved to relevant boards (intention). It´s not even Idea Pins, less videos! But our guests could be ¨old school¨. We are trying to be more deliberate on other engagement metrics here, which is new to me. Your pins a great btw! 

4 Kudos
dogsndecor
Loves to help

@ideachicretail , thank you for making me feel "not so crazy" over analyzing this.  Yes the engagement metrics is new to us and to the users.  I had wondered if sharing a link to my Idea Pin in my facebook group would be okay.   Saying something along the lines of

"how do you removed baked on grease from your oven?  Come see my method and share your tips with us" (insert link to the idea pin).  BUT I'm afraid that might violate a rule, and since no one can tell us what are doing right or wrong in regards to the rules I'm scared to do anything.  

The rules say "the pin must be wholly original and must not have been published elsewhere" but in my above example, it's not publishing the content elsewhere it's sharing a link and encouraging others to join the conversation.    

BUT, would it violate the portion of the rules that say the submitted content cannot be manually boosted".  Is that manual boosting? I wouldn't think so, but heck if I know for sure.

2 Kudos
terezatoledo
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

I feel you! It's hard not to overanalyze and try to make it better. But I love what you said, to just start creating. I'd definitely focus on creating for a while, keep an eye on things and then later on, try to figure out the best performing ones and recreate.
Sometimes I see that certain styles always perform for me, but sometimes something unexpected goes well.

Don't let this hold you back from creating amazing content!

5 Kudos
pinterestmarketingexpert
Jack-of-all-trades

Hey @dogsndecor 

1. I'd say video first

Starting out with a video on your first page helps you to stand out in people’s feeds especially if you add text overlay, since some people watch with sound off. People want to know what your pin is about. 

2. Are you publishing the same amount of content week after week?

I ask because that's is the best way to measure your ROI. Remember that people visit different days of the week, different times. 

In addition, you will always get more people engaging with your content if it's a trending topic. Think about what your audience is planning right now and create content arount that. 

Does that help? Let me know if you need further clarification. 

4 Kudos
dogsndecor
Loves to help

@pinterestmarketingexpert , thank you so much!  I do get that and that was my thought process too, start out with video and text explaining what's going on.  However, the "data" (see screenshots above) shows that's not what's getting seen.... according to the "what's trending" tab.  

Does that make sense?

2 Kudos
dogsndecor
Loves to help

@terezatoledo Thank you Tereza!!  Back to creating I go. *smile* 

1 Kudo
terezatoledo
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Keep going, you are not alone!

2 Kudos
KaileysMonogramShop
Loves to help

So for me I have noticed lifestyle with a bigger text overlay with it being opaque or text /banner at the the bottom - lifestyle 

Video for both for the start 

Music for all 

3 Kudos
aloniebeauty
Loves to help

@dogsndecor love your page and I understand you with the impressions I say don’t overthink it and yes that can be hard .. you are not alone stay positive and keep creating I will repin your content hope this helps you .. stay encouraged always 

4 Kudos