Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

What image sizes are you using for Story Pins?

foodiehomechef
Jack-of-all-trades

@therealsouthamerica @4thHouseOnTheRight @PinterestGabby  and anyone else who want to chime in 😊

I'm finally gonna get my toes wet & make a Story Pin, hopefully over the weekend! I went to this link for advice on images: https://help.pinterest.com/en/business/article/pinterest-product-specs and this is what it said:

Resolution
For full-bleed images and videos, or images and videos that extend to take up the entire screen, we recommend using 1080x1920 pixel size (9:16 ratio).

Aspect ratio
Story Pins’ aspect ratio is 9:16, but there are no restrictions for image or video.

My problem is that all my images at my site are 933x700. My pin size images are mostly 600x600. I'd really like to be able to use the 600x600 or I can crop the 933x700 ones. Any suggestions?

Also do you have any Story Pin tips since I'm just starting out?

Thanks everyone!

3 Kudos
15 Replies
therealsouthamerica
Jack-of-all-trades

@foodiehomechef Hi 👋

I read your post Simone Yay🎉 you are going to love Story Pins.

Re size I use almost always 9:16 (Video Pins) and that size seems to work best for me and what I am posting. I have tried the other options and that has been the suggestion from the get go. If I were to use other sizes | shapes I don't think I would get the same visual time that I do currently. My suggestion try do one Story Pin with the recommended size and just see what its like you might find you prefer that size over what you currently use.

Spend some time on doing your Story Pin, they definitely take more time and thought then regular pins. If I remember correctly at the meetings Pinterest suggests between 6 and 10 pages | Try to use some video of yourself etc. on the Cover Page & get regular with doing them so people know you - I have started to do a Series (another suggestion) with workout Story Pins. Last thing Pinterest has asked is please don't add links to the pins. 

Really glad your doing them I am sure they will be great! 

Question For You: I want to add this Currently Pinning to: Valentine's Day ♥ & Mardi Gras & Crock Pot Recipes to my signature feel like sharing some code?🙏

Check Out This 👉 Pinterest Predicts

This is what Pinterest is expecting to start trending.

Your awesome! Lisa😁

1 Kudo
foodiehomechef
Jack-of-all-trades

@therealsouthamerica   Yup I got the ratio 9:16 thing, but what is the actual pixel size you're using?

My story pins won't have videos, they'll just be static cause I don't have any equipment for making videos.

Yeah... I know about the "no links" thing, but thanks for the reminder!

Sure thing about the Signature Code... here's what mine looks like & you already know what to edit with your own info, right? If not, I'll help you through it 😊

Please follow me on Pinterest: <a target="_blank" href="https://www.pinterest.com/foodiehomechef/">Foodie Home Chef</a> Thanks! Simone ♥<br>Currently Pinning to: <a target="_blank" href="https://www.pinterest.com/foodiehomechef/valentines-day/">Valentine's Day ♥</a> &amp; <a target="_blank" href="https://www.pinterest.com/foodiehomechef/mardi-gras/">Mardi Gras</a> &amp; <a target="_blank" href="https://www.pinterest.com/foodiehomechef/crock-pot-slow-cooker-recipes/">Crock Pot Recipes</a>

1 Kudo
therealsouthamerica
Jack-of-all-trades

@foodiehomechef Hi there

I am tagging in @FlyFierceFab @fabeveryday @yenorypouncil  they do Story Pins and may have some good insight for you.

Pixel size is just whatever 9:16 is 1080x1920 I know there are other formats but that is the one I use most often. I do a lot of the Story Pins on my iPhone or on my Samsung including the video which is often taken on my phone. My cameraman is who I am working out with 🙂

I really pay attention to is the format size with video I don't have a lot of control on the devices I mean apart from cleaning the video up in terms of clarity | brightness. Video edits | music | voiceover and text color effects I do right inside the Pinterest App while making the Story Pin. Desktop is very different in my opinion, its a little easier to add more information in the Details Drawer from the desktop.

Thank you for the code only question do I have to insert a break before each piece ... like if I want to place a piece under another?

I hope that helped to clarify a little. Lisa😁

1 Kudo
foodiehomechef
Jack-of-all-trades

@therealsouthamerica    Oh good, hope some of those you tagged might chime in too.

I'm not too bad with math, except for things like ratios & translating them into sizes... it kind of twists my brain into a pretzel lol ! Ok so 1080x1920 is a 9:16 ratio? Do you know what the formula is for figuring that out? What I mean by that is... let's say I have an image that is 900 pixels wide - how do I determine what the height should be in order for it to fit into the 9:16 ratio? Knowing that I may be able to translate that into smaller sizes if need be. Thanks Lisa, you're the best!

I only use my desktop for for Pinterest, so things should be rather easy.

As to the signature & the code... I don't use breaks (I assume you're talking about the "<BR>" in the code) because if memory serves... you can only have 2 lines in the signature anyways. But if your 1st line is short, you can try using the <BR> to send the rest of the code to the second line. Let me know if you need any more help with the siggy 😊

1 Kudo
therealsouthamerica
Jack-of-all-trades

okay so your putting me on the spot but I did some math.....😶 your height if my calculation is correct would be 506.25 (literally) x 900(w) or 900 pixels wide.

👇Formula:

Thanks for the info on the code.

Hope that helps.

Lisa😁

0 Kudos
4thHouseOnTheRight
Posts regularly

@foodiehomechef when I created that 1st 1, it was originally meant for instagram so it was 1:1.

There was an option to change the ratio to the 9:16 ratio as recommended.  I did that & added a background + text.

I'm playing around with repurposing more existing content to see how it plays out.

That would really be ideal - taking evergreen content & making it work with this new fun tool.

2 Kudos
foodiehomechef
Jack-of-all-trades

@therealsouthamerica   Wouldn't the height have to be longer than 506 if the width is 900?

For now I think I'll just divide both 1080 & 1920 by 2 and that should give me a 9:16 ratio. So the image would be 540x960.

Did I tell you I hate complicated math? lol  Thanks for your help Lisa 😊

How did you fare with the code, were you able to get it to work?

1 Kudo
foodiehomechef
Jack-of-all-trades

@4thHouseOnTheRight   Thanks so much for your input, it's actually quite helpful! That's what I'm going to do as well... make a few story pins for repurposing older content to see how that works out.

Can you give me a link to your Pinterest account so I can see your story pins? It may help me get started! Thanks so much 😊

2 Kudos
therealsouthamerica
Jack-of-all-trades

@foodiehomechef Yes, you said complicated but you said the height was 900 wide so yes I think I am right it would be 506 - but hey your way is nice and even that works.

Glad I could help a little and @4thHouseOnTheRight her point was great - I just use what ever is suggested because generally it works. Anytime I have stepped outside of the suggested ratios I have not had good feedback.

Lisa😁

1 Kudo