Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Top 3 things you would tell a Pinterest newbie

chrisncarries
Labels (3)

Hi!

I've done a couple of pins here and there, but really don't understand Pinterest at all! What are your top 3 things you would tell someone just starting Pinterest for their business?

Thanks!

~Carrie

4 Kudos
13 Replies
therealsouthamerica
Jack-of-all-trades

@chrisncarries Wow did you pick the best place to ask that question....Well Done! Glad your here! I am going to tag other members in here for their input as well @typicallytopical @foodiehomechef @owlbbaking @AmericanoCrystals as for me I will list below:

Pay attention to SEO - it matters a lot
Use good images | video - Make your content be creative
Pin regularly 

These are just some of the things that people have told me and have been 100% right about - but also for me there has been a lot of trial and error. Lisa😁

3 Kudos
AmericanoCrystals
Problem-solver

@chrisncarries Hi there !

I would say:

1. Use right keywords

2. Apply for Rich Pins for your website or blog

3. Pin consistently at least 5x per day

5 Kudos
foodiehomechef
Jack-of-all-trades

@chrisncarries  Hey there & welcome to this community (PBC) Carrie, so glad you're here! In addition to what everyone has already said my best advice is for you to sign up at the free Pinterest Academy & go through all the courses. It will really help you get started with Pinterest & there's also a link/button there for the Help Center:  https://pinterestacademy.exceedlms.com/student/catalog

2 Kudos
allnutritiousblog
Just visiting

1. Learn to design good looking pins. It took me half a year to get there! 

2. SEO SEO SEO SEO SEO! You don't have to know it all, just a few basic things!

3. Focus on writing what the audience wants rather than what you want to talk about.

3 Kudos
foodiehomechef
Jack-of-all-trades

@allnutritiousblog  Seriously excellent advice & especially #3!

2 Kudos
owlbbaking
Loves to help

Hey @chrisncarries !! I meant to get a response over to you earlier, ack it's been a busy week! Thanks so much for the tag @therealsouthamerica !! 😄

Carrie -

So glad that you're on the road to using Pinterest for business!! It is the #1 source of traffic for me and I find that it's a much easier space to grow on vs. Google. 

The first step to learning something new is, try not to get frustrated with it and give up on it. Everything takes time to learn! It makes me sad when I see folks give up on Pinterest because I know how well it's worked for my business and SO MANY others!!

As someone who is JUST starting out, you need to focus on...

1. Creating attractive, awesome pins
  2. Using relative descriptions and keywords (SEO)
  3. Pinning multiple times a day and paying attention to the stats for each pin you create to monitor your efforts and figuring out what works

I also recommend starting a SEPARATE account for personal use and start using it as a consumer/user. That's the best way to figure out the world of Pinterest and how it works, what it is and what it offers. As you start pinning things that interest you, this will help you identify patterns when figuring out what makes attractive content. 

It took me over a year to figure out what attractive content actually meant LOL. I would probably have even better counts if I had payed more attention to it right from the start, but everything in the world of online businesses is an evolution & personal journey! 😊

Here are some things I think about when making pins that I wish I knew from the start!

Must use Hi resolution photos & graphics - Blurry photos do not perform well on Pinterest. Remember, Pinterest is all about the VISUAL. That's what is going to capture users. 

Large, bold text if applicable- make sure it's legible and avoid getting too wordy!

Mobile first - I tend to lose sight of mobile viewability because I create everything on my desktop computer. When you're creating a pin, think about how it will look on mobile when people's feeds are in a smaller format. 

CTA - Add some call to action wording on your pin if it suits the pin.  I'm a recipe blogger so I don't typically add CTA to pins, but this might be useful for your niche!

Inspire - Does your pin inspire the user to plan, create or gain more knowledge? Pinterest's audience loves to plan and loves finding inspiration.

Demographics - Keep this in mind when you're creating pins. What are the demos of the audience you want to target? Are they young? Gender specific? What kind of relevant categories are they interested in? This can help guide you on how to best create fresh looking content. 

What program are you using to create pins? I've used both PicMonkey & Canva and I prefer Canva. In both platforms though, you can easily grab a pre-made, Pinterest template and pop in your photos and text and start testing out some designs. Templates are a great resource for where you don't know where to start with pin creation! They are very well designed and easy to customize. 

Rich pins - ...as someone here already mentioned are a must. Definitely connect your account to use rich pins!! It makes your account look a lot more official to users 😊

For descriptions & SEO - make your descriptions sound natural, but be sure you've added all the necessary keywords. Do a little research using the Pinterest search bar to figure out which words are relevant to your topic. 

Once you create a new pin on Pinterest, you'll see begin to see counts for impressions, clicks and saves. Since you're just starting out it will be slower moving, don't be alarmed! But keep an eye on these over time to monitor & motivate your efforts!!

Sorry, this was probably a lot more than you were ready to receive LOL! But I wanted to share all this since these were things I wasn't aware of when I first started out and they have helped my business grow.

I hope this is helpful and best of luck on your Pinterest journey!!! 🌟

6 Kudos
foodiehomechef
Jack-of-all-trades

@owlbbaking   IMHO never apologize for going into great detail, I think most people appreciate it! You've given some really great advice here & I completely agree with all you said.   Oh... since you & I are both Food Bloggers we have that in common & I just "friended" you here at PBC 🙂

3 Kudos
owlbbaking
Loves to help

@foodiehomechef You're so sweet, thank you!! Awesome!! 😁 

2 Kudos
therealsouthamerica
Jack-of-all-trades

@owlbbaking I agree with @foodiehomechef good detail it really helps a lot - Lisa😁

1 Kudo