Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Tips to improve engagement

beboldwithkatah
Loves to help
Labels (4)

Hey! I would love to hear about tips that have helped improve your engagement. I'd also love to be guided to articles I can read. Thanks so much in advance. 

3 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JanaOMedia
Marvel

Hi @beboldwithkatah! I love this question and it has my wheels turning - A LOT. Basically, as a Pinterest Strategist and Educator, I'm always aiming to answer questions like this in ways that are really helpful and satisfying (here in the PBC, 1:1 for clients, on my blog, all the places!)... So I have a question for you! 🙂 

How are you defining / thinking of engagement?

Let's start by getting on the same page about what you're wanting to see increase. (I actually think there is a good deal of confusion around what engagement is right now - so this is a GREAT conversation to have) 

Technically, in our Pinterest Analytics dashboards, "engagement" is a combination of pin clicks, saves, and outbound clicks. (More on that here.)

But these days, we Creators sometimes thinking about comments, "hearts" and even follows as engagement, too. 

So... My first question is: Which metrics do you hope to improve? Obviously, we'd all like to see "all of them" go up, up, up... 🙂 ... but setting priorities is probably going to help you select tactics you want to try. 

The main ways that we "increase all of those engagement metrics and see them all go up, up, up :)" are really to:

1) be clear on who we are creating content for

2) create super-actionable and inspiring content that really helps them / solves real problems; and then

3) get those pins in front of the right people (keywords). 

BUT, while that answer is 10000000 percent the truth, it can be slightly un-satisfying. 🙂 

The things (tactics) that are more tactical that you can try... those are more helpful and actionable, I think - but they tend to be tactics that we can suggest based on specific goals with specific metrics (for example, encourage more followers, encourage more saves, etc.) 

So... sorry to get all philosophical here... but let's start with defining what types of engagement you want to see increase. And then we can give you ideas and point you to some awesome resources! 

View solution in original post

4 Kudos
9 Replies
JanaOMedia
Marvel

Hi @beboldwithkatah! I love this question and it has my wheels turning - A LOT. Basically, as a Pinterest Strategist and Educator, I'm always aiming to answer questions like this in ways that are really helpful and satisfying (here in the PBC, 1:1 for clients, on my blog, all the places!)... So I have a question for you! 🙂 

How are you defining / thinking of engagement?

Let's start by getting on the same page about what you're wanting to see increase. (I actually think there is a good deal of confusion around what engagement is right now - so this is a GREAT conversation to have) 

Technically, in our Pinterest Analytics dashboards, "engagement" is a combination of pin clicks, saves, and outbound clicks. (More on that here.)

But these days, we Creators sometimes thinking about comments, "hearts" and even follows as engagement, too. 

So... My first question is: Which metrics do you hope to improve? Obviously, we'd all like to see "all of them" go up, up, up... 🙂 ... but setting priorities is probably going to help you select tactics you want to try. 

The main ways that we "increase all of those engagement metrics and see them all go up, up, up :)" are really to:

1) be clear on who we are creating content for

2) create super-actionable and inspiring content that really helps them / solves real problems; and then

3) get those pins in front of the right people (keywords). 

BUT, while that answer is 10000000 percent the truth, it can be slightly un-satisfying. 🙂 

The things (tactics) that are more tactical that you can try... those are more helpful and actionable, I think - but they tend to be tactics that we can suggest based on specific goals with specific metrics (for example, encourage more followers, encourage more saves, etc.) 

So... sorry to get all philosophical here... but let's start with defining what types of engagement you want to see increase. And then we can give you ideas and point you to some awesome resources! 

4 Kudos
beboldwithkatah
Loves to help

Two most important for me right now is outbound clicks + saves and of course to continue building my following count. 

1 Kudo
JanaOMedia
Marvel

@beboldwithkatah - Got it! 

I have three good resources to share with you - about how to encourage pinners to SAVE! 

Pinterest recently published this article. It talks about why saves are an important metric, and gives us some *clues* about how to best get 'em! 😉 

https://business.pinterest.com/en-gb/blog/ways-to-grow-your-audience-with-saves/ 

And I also wrote this post a bit back... It has some of my favorite tactics and "tricks" (if you will) that I use to get more saves. 

https://community.pinterest.biz/t5/conversations/road-tested-tips-for-encouraging-more-saves-on-your...

I also go into more detail in this post on my blog: 

https://janaomedia.com/get-more-saves-pinterest/ 

2 Kudos
JanaOMedia
Marvel

For outbound clicks... One thing I can share: Over the last couple of years I've been seeing an increase in outbound clicks from Pinterest to my HOME PAGE - and I've been seeing the same thing with clients. 

I believe these are coming mostly from my claimed domain link (Next to / part of your Pinterest Bio). So, keep an eye on that (you can see it in Google Analytics), and be sure your home page is optimized for Pinterest traffic. 

Many people just focus on outbound clicks to their blog pages - and other individual pages - which are also GREAT... but Idea Pins seem to lead people to our profiles, which can lead people to click through to our home pages... so it's good to have awareness around that and think about what people will find on your home page. 

I personally include a very "easy yes" email list opt-in on my home page - because I wanted Pinners to have a clear, easy CTA when they land there. 

I hope this helps! ❤️ 

@beboldwithkatah 

2 Kudos
isabelledias
Loves to help

Suuuuuch good points, @JanaOMedia

Another thing that seems to work to boost a deeper engagement (aka comments and productive talk over the comment section) is to ask the question ON VIDEO at the end of the Idea Pin. I usually do that when wrapping up the video, asking the question straight to the camera or through voice-over.

To top it up, write down the same question in the comment section as soon as you post, and highlight the comment to ensure it's on top. 

2 Kudos
beboldwithkatah
Loves to help

Thank you!! As always super helpful. 

0 Kudos
beboldwithkatah
Loves to help

Thank you! Great tip. 

1 Kudo
hellohomegirl
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Absolutely amazing advice shared here! Thank you for your wisdom @JanaOMedia @isabelledias !

3 Kudos
amaraguru
0 Kudos