Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Staying Agile with Your Strategy will Prevent Your Impressions From Tanking 📈

andrealidesigns
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

I've noticed a ton of threads of complaints with severe drop-offs of both impressions and traffic. As marketers, it's easy to try and hack the Pinterest system. Heck, even I've tried. What I have found however is that Pinterest is the most transparent platform out there - in order to HELP their creators who create the content that lives on their platform. This helps them and causes the following -

• Serve content to their users that's high quality to keep them coming back.
  • Keep their creators enjoying continued success so they keep creating high-quality content.
  • Which keeps users coming back and even expanding their growth of monthly users. 
  • Which gives creators a larger audience to market to.

There is a trend emerging from this. You could call it a win-win, or I-scratch-your-back-if-you-scratch-mine. The point is, that if you're unwilling to stay agile and adjust to an incredibly dynamic platform (which is free to use aside from promoted pins) then expect to see diminishing returns on your marketing efforts. Pinterest is telling you specifically what is working on their platform in realtime  almost realtime. This benefits everyone. 

A few ways you can see an increase in your impressions right now are as follows - 

• Use Story Pins....seriously, this is the best way to grow your account as the distribution is extremely wide right now along with video pins.
  • This brings me to my next point....utilize video pins for the same reason cited above.
  • Don't try to hack the 'fresh-pin' algorithm. Quality or quantity. Try to re-frame your content to reach different audiences and different search intent. 

These strategies are just a start to what should be part of every marketer's diet of test, test, test. UTM your links to understand which pins are ACTUALLY driving traffic. Don't know about UTM's? No problem, here's a link - https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/what-are-utm-tracking-codes-ht

I'm pretty sure that if you follow these guidelines you will never see a severe drop-off in impressions or traffic. Heck, you may even see a bump. 

I hope this helps! 😊📌

2 Kudos
1 Reply
abetterresume
Loves to help

Great post. One thing that is apparent is that Pinterest gives new users an initial influx of activity but in order to maintain it, one must show results.

Monitor your metrics. Pinterest will reward those who generate interest. Try new things and if they don't work, try others. An important audience test is pin variations. If you make several different pins for the same topic, observe which gets the best reaction and use it for repinning and a model for future pins.

Learn Pinterest best practices from the training modules here. Pinterest grows as you grow.

0 Kudos