Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Please make sure the URL is correct and try again

fclash
Just visiting

Hello community,

When someone (myself included) pins an image from my Wordpress website, they get an error (the image is never save to their Pinterest board.)

Has anyone seen and resolved this error?

The error reads "Something went wrong. Sorry! Something went wrong. Please make sure the URL is correct and try again."

I have checked the backend of my Pinterest account and my site is confirmed.

Thanks

Ashley (FCLAsh on Pinterest)

www.FrugalCouponLiving.com

1 Kudo
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
fclash
Just visiting

Well I am writing the resolution incase ANYONE else finds this same error code.

Unfortunately, Pinterest support was not helpful. From Pinterest support, I got the generic two paragraph response....

"We made recent changes to default views in our analytics surfaces to show the performance of the Pins you've created. As a result, metrics may go down depending upon the amount of content you publish versus the amount of content you save. Pinterest encourages creators to publish new, original content on a regular basis as the best way to build an audience on Pinterest...."

So if you are here looking for a resolution, make sure your host's security did not block Pinterest's IPs. That is what happening and the reason the error code was generated. Pinterest could not read my website because my website was blocking Pinterest.

I think it's important, Pinterest support understands their error codes and knows why they are generated. It was not due to my "old content" or "unoriginal content" as suggested.

Hopefully this saves you weeks of troubleshooting! Ashley

@michaelbliss  you were on to something with the host. I greatly appreciate the push! Thank you.

FYI @simplepinmedia 

View solution in original post

3 Kudos
12 Replies
michaelbliss
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Hey there @fclash!

I visited your site and saw the error, it seems this happens on your domain "frugalcouponliving.com", but not your subdomain "shop.frugalcouponliving.com".

I believe your Wordpress site "frugalcouponliving.com" is hosted by Liquid Web and "shop.frugalcouponliving.com" resides at Shopify.

It could be caused by some of the Adthrive ads on the Wordpress site. Adthrive inserts ads dynamically, which may cause some confusion on the Pinterest app. The error isn't happening when I use the desktop version, only the Pinterest app (iOS and Android)

This basically means when a user wants to pin a graphic, the Pinterest app cannot load all the images on a page, possibly because "ads.adthrive.com" isn't responding or is looping somehow. This could explain the "Something went wrong. Sorry! Something went wrong. Please make sure the URL is correct and try again" error message.

My thoughts are you should contact your "frugalcouponliving.com" hosting provider, along with Adthrive, and ask them for a workaround. Your Shopify site won't be affected.

Edit: @fclash , I forgot to mention you may want to disable Adthrive for a while and see if this solves the issue.

I hope this helps you.

1 Kudo
fclash
Just visiting

Hey @michaelbliss I had not gone this direction so it offers some insight as to a potential solution.

Have you seen something like this before?

I did try disabling Adthrive ads and it did not offer a solution. I still saw the same issue where I could not pin an image form my website when ads were turned off (Adthrive plugin was disabled.) 

I will connect with Adhtrive and Liquid Web and let you know if they see solution. 

Thanks, Ashley

0 Kudos
fclash
Just visiting

@PinterestGabby @PinterestMoe @PinterestLucy - Can you have a look

Adthrive has confirmed they are not the problem. We have removed the ads and reinstalled them. The problem remains and remains while the ad network turned off everything.

Liquid Web is simply the host keeping the website online (not someone that solves issues with social media platforms.)

I have recorded a video on Loom so you can see the problem.  https://www.loom.com/share/05adc96e493a498a8279c06793af244b

When a pin is pinned to Pinterest from the Frugal Coupon Living website, the URL that is trying to pin looks completely inappropriate. 

Example blog post. https://www.frugalcouponliving.com/themed-bingo-game-printables/ 

What the Pinterest Pop up is pulling for a URL https://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.frugalcouponliving.com%2Fthemed-b... 

0 Kudos
fclash
Just visiting

Well I am writing the resolution incase ANYONE else finds this same error code.

Unfortunately, Pinterest support was not helpful. From Pinterest support, I got the generic two paragraph response....

"We made recent changes to default views in our analytics surfaces to show the performance of the Pins you've created. As a result, metrics may go down depending upon the amount of content you publish versus the amount of content you save. Pinterest encourages creators to publish new, original content on a regular basis as the best way to build an audience on Pinterest...."

So if you are here looking for a resolution, make sure your host's security did not block Pinterest's IPs. That is what happening and the reason the error code was generated. Pinterest could not read my website because my website was blocking Pinterest.

I think it's important, Pinterest support understands their error codes and knows why they are generated. It was not due to my "old content" or "unoriginal content" as suggested.

Hopefully this saves you weeks of troubleshooting! Ashley

@michaelbliss  you were on to something with the host. I greatly appreciate the push! Thank you.

FYI @simplepinmedia 

3 Kudos
michaelbliss
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Hey @fclash , I'm happy to hear you've had this corrected! And I appreciate you returning here and helping others who are dealing with the same issue, this can be a time saver somewhere down the line. Feel free to tag me if you need any help.

1 Kudo
howtodrawcc
Just visiting

i Have same error,  www.howtodraw.cc  how to solve this , can u help me.? ( Mrs. fclash) or any one? 

Error: 

Sorry! Something went wrong. Please make sure the URL is correct and try again.

0 Kudos
fclash
Just visiting

Hello, follow below and see my resolution in the thread. I had to contact my website host who was blocking Pinterest's IP address. This is what worked for me. Good luck @howtodrawcc Once it was fixed, it took about 2 weeks for me to see my Pinterest reach return to "normal"

0 Kudos
howtodrawcc
Just visiting

you mean thath i put this meta in robots.txt ? 

Pinterest/0.2 (+https://www.pinterest.com/bot.html) Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Pinterestbot/1.0; +https://www.pinterest.com/bot.html) Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 6.0.1; Nexus 5X Build/MMB29P) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/41.0.2272.96 Mobile Safari/537.36 (compatible; Pinterestbot/1.0; +https://www.pinterest.com/bot.html)

this meta is solution of my problem?

0 Kudos
stampinhoot

Thank you!  This was extremely helpful!  It came up in my first Google search on the error I was receiving and I sent my host an email immediately.  Waiting for the fix. 

0 Kudos