Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

[ Please add a comment! ] What makes *YOU* hit "follow?"

JanaOMedia
Marvel
Labels (4)

Hi, Creators! I notice that soooo many Creators come to this forum and ask others to follow them.

So, let's start a reference thread here. As this thread grows, we can re-visit it. And we can point new members to it - for insights into what makes a Pinterest account "follow-worthy!" 

I ask you to answer this question in the comments

📌 What makes you decide to follow a Creator's Pinterest account? 📌

I'll add the first comment below! 

24 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JanaOMedia
Marvel

I follow accounts that show me ideas and tips that make me go, "Ohhhh! That's a great idea!"

For example, recently I followed @hellohomegirl. I connected with her here - and then I went to her account. I saw she had a bio that told me what she pins about - and why I might want to follow along. And her profile photo and cover image helped me understand her vibe and what she has to offer on her account. And I noticed her website was claimed - which helps me trust an account. 

And she had a few pins at the top of her profile that were SO helpful. (One of them gave me a great idea for how to deal with a light fixture that I can't reach - because I'm short :). It gave me a solution to a real problem I was having. So I followed her!

I want to add this, too: I don't follow accounts because I want them to follow me back. I only follow accounts and Creators who are creating content that I really like - and I want to see more of. 

Also worth noting: While I don't follow people just because they ask, I WILL OFTEN visit their profiles if they ask for the follow - and THEN if I think the profile indicates that what they pin is relevant and interesting to me - then I'll follow! 🙂 

View solution in original post

23 Kudos
60 Replies
JanaOMedia
Marvel

I follow accounts that show me ideas and tips that make me go, "Ohhhh! That's a great idea!"

For example, recently I followed @hellohomegirl. I connected with her here - and then I went to her account. I saw she had a bio that told me what she pins about - and why I might want to follow along. And her profile photo and cover image helped me understand her vibe and what she has to offer on her account. And I noticed her website was claimed - which helps me trust an account. 

And she had a few pins at the top of her profile that were SO helpful. (One of them gave me a great idea for how to deal with a light fixture that I can't reach - because I'm short :). It gave me a solution to a real problem I was having. So I followed her!

I want to add this, too: I don't follow accounts because I want them to follow me back. I only follow accounts and Creators who are creating content that I really like - and I want to see more of. 

Also worth noting: While I don't follow people just because they ask, I WILL OFTEN visit their profiles if they ask for the follow - and THEN if I think the profile indicates that what they pin is relevant and interesting to me - then I'll follow! 🙂 

23 Kudos
bodymindmood
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

@JanaOMedia 

Like you I check Profiles before following and decide whether or not this Pinner resonates with me and then I consider my niche, content and well you get the idea.

The main things that make me want to follow in this order:

Content:

1. Relatable
2. Integrity
3. Honesty
4. Usability

Visual:

1. Clean
2. Bright
3. ORGANIZED
4. Website Claimed

Above All I follow based the on Human Factor do these Pinners respond? Do they engage?

I have engaged with pinners here on the PBC and followed them @ArtsyCraftery but I don't do random follows I care about what I see on my Home Feed. I follow based on what I see not if they are a Creator or Business. 

@ArtsyCraftery what are your thoughts?

Lisa

21 Kudos
JanaOMedia
Marvel

Whoa @bodymindmood Lisa, I looooooove your thoughts above. I especially appreciate the four-prong lists. Those attributes make so much sense the way you laid them out! 

6 Kudos
hellohomegirl
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Wow, @JanaOMedia ! Thank you for the shout-out! I really needed that lift today! ♥️

8 Kudos
JanaOMedia
Marvel

@hellohomegirl Woman, you deserve it... with that 'light bulb' moment! LOL 😉 

5 Kudos
ArtsyCraftery
Loves to help

@JanaOMedia    In addition to my likes, I have specific dislikes also. Some material/themes I don't want to see in my home stream. Sometimes members change their direction, focus and/or interests. I learned my lesson about blindly following entire accounts when distasteful pins started showing up in my stream from someone who apparently became interested in something that I was not. It has happened more than once.

A member can have 200 boards and one of those boards is just too offensive for me. That's why I rarely follow a person, especially those who have so many boards (like me) that I don't have time to review them all. I don't even auto-follow creative people that I know. I pick a few of their boards to follow. I don't follow as many boards as I used to because the process to do that is now more complicated. I am not offended if members do the same with my profile.

8 Kudos
TailoredByTT
Just visiting

@JanaOMedia What makes me click follow is the authenticity of the content. Will I be inspired, am I enjoying the content and what the content is about. Also, what different ways are you keeping me interested with that content. The fluidity of how you showcase your content.

8 Kudos
mmillerrr15
Posts regularly

Ooh I love this question! I love love when somebody uses their own content - take their own pictures, post their own ideas, etc. Like others have said I love authenticity! I also enjoy when somebody makes me think outside the box with their posts ESPECIALLY when it comes to fashion. I love to see what others find as inspiration and how they inspire the app. Although my niche is more Fashion & Style I enjoy supporting anybody who is taking time to inspire the world no matter what their niche is (as long as it’s positive of course).

10 Kudos
hellohomegirl
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

I thought I'd drop in and add what I look for when I decide to follow a Pinterest account.

A non-negotiable is original content. I don't and won't follow folks who repost other people's content from other platforms. Unfortunately, I feel like that practice has increased here on Pinterest in the age of the idea pin.

Overall, I mainly look for helpful content. Some accounts are more aspirational, others are inspirational. I like my feed to be a mix of the two.

Thank you to the others who share! It helps us produce more appealing content. I may not be able to accommodate for all, but I can implement a little of what I learn here to improve.

11 Kudos