Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Pinterest sections vs boards

amumtomum
Posts regularly

I read somewhere that we shouldn't use sections for our pins, and rather to use boards. Can someone explain this a bit or has a link for me to read about it? 

1 Kudo
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JanaOMedia
Marvel

@amumtomum - hello! Great question. 

Sections can be helpful for regular Pinterest users (pinners) - for organizing pins. But for Pinterest marketers, they have some drawbacks. So, I don’t recommend using them as a Pinterest marketer.

Main reason is this: They don't help as much with SEO (helping Pinterest understand what your pin is about, which helps them show it to the right people) as board titles do. Pinterest board titles are highly searchable – but section names aren't as beneficial. 

So, instead of creating sections inside boards, it's usually best to create (and keyword-optimize) more boards instead. This way, you get the keyword mojo of those board titles working for you.

Example: 

A Dating Coach & Content Creator: 

Instead of one board called “Dating Tips” with separate sections for…

• “Online dating tips,”
  • “Dating profile ideas / examples,”
  • “Date night outfits,”
  • “Dating when you have kids”
  • Etc…

… simply create separate boards for each of those topics. (AND you could also have a “Dating tips” board!) Easy fix. 

Does that help? 

PS - Keep in mind, I don't think you can schedule to sections yet from some of the approved 3rd party schedulers, so that can also be a drawback if you're using one of them. It can create more manual work for you. 

View solution in original post

4 Kudos
7 Replies
JanaOMedia
Marvel

@amumtomum - hello! Great question. 

Sections can be helpful for regular Pinterest users (pinners) - for organizing pins. But for Pinterest marketers, they have some drawbacks. So, I don’t recommend using them as a Pinterest marketer.

Main reason is this: They don't help as much with SEO (helping Pinterest understand what your pin is about, which helps them show it to the right people) as board titles do. Pinterest board titles are highly searchable – but section names aren't as beneficial. 

So, instead of creating sections inside boards, it's usually best to create (and keyword-optimize) more boards instead. This way, you get the keyword mojo of those board titles working for you.

Example: 

A Dating Coach & Content Creator: 

Instead of one board called “Dating Tips” with separate sections for…

• “Online dating tips,”
  • “Dating profile ideas / examples,”
  • “Date night outfits,”
  • “Dating when you have kids”
  • Etc…

… simply create separate boards for each of those topics. (AND you could also have a “Dating tips” board!) Easy fix. 

Does that help? 

PS - Keep in mind, I don't think you can schedule to sections yet from some of the approved 3rd party schedulers, so that can also be a drawback if you're using one of them. It can create more manual work for you. 

4 Kudos
amumtomum
Posts regularly

Thank you so much for a quick answer! So I should reorganize my Pinterest account totally. But what about pins I repin from others. Should I pin them to my boards or make new boards for that?

1 Kudo
JanaOMedia
Marvel

@amumtomum - if you re-pin other people's pins, just put them on your most relevant board. If you have them in sections now, I wouldn't worry about re-organizing the existing pins. Just do the new way moving forward. 

2 Kudos
amumtomum
Posts regularly

So it's ok to mix my content with others? I always thought it should be separated

1 Kudo
JanaOMedia
Marvel

In my opinion, it’s totally fine to mix. I always do. I can’t think of any real drawbacks of doing so. 

1 Kudo
amumtomum
Posts regularly

One more question Jana: Do you kow long does it take to see changes and growth when we optimize our account?

0 Kudos
eleganthomespace

Is this Still the case in September 2023

0 Kudos