Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Mastectomy Community Guidelines?

mycancerchic
Problem-solver

As a breast cancer survivor, being able to share mastectomy photos on Pinterest has been huge for my blog and helped so many women find the valuable experience and resources I provide. Most of my story pins thus far have been about other aspects of my life: style, beauty, toddler life, food and coffee but I am ready to start sharing more of my cancer content on story pins but I will admit I am scared. I want to know what the community guidelines are as to showing mastectomy content and scars. On other platforms mastectomy content is protected but last time I shared something on story pins with just the word "breast" related to mastectomy it got flagged. I would love to know where Pinterest stands on this and how breast cancer creators can safely share without our content being reported. 

7 Kudos
23 Replies
PinterestPeter
Pinployee
Pinployee

@mycancerchic Thank you so much for sharing. It is incredibly courageous of you to be willing to do this, and I am sure many would be inspired.

If you decide to take this step, we want to make sure you feel supported along the way. We are going to check in with our trust and safety team and circle back to you here.

6 Kudos
mycancerchic
Problem-solver

Thank you very much for looking into this. I really want to start doing more mastectomy and cancer content in stories because it aligns with my audience needs. I look forward to hearing back from the team and appreciate the support!

7 Kudos
thepambaldwin
Just visiting

@mycancerchic, I think this would be amazing! So many women have gone through this at a young age and lack the support of a community of people like them.  I have several friends I should share your blog with.  

6 Kudos
mycancerchic
Problem-solver

Thank you so much! It’s been my life passion to be able to use my story to inspire and empower others. Would love for you to share its mycancerchic.com

4 Kudos
PinterestMyriah
Pinployee
Pinployee

@mycancerchic @PinterestPeter Thank you so much for writing to us about this and for bravely stepping into sharing this journey with the Pinterest community.

We checked with the team and mastectomy content is protected under our policies, so you should not have any issues posting mastectomy content in Story Pins. The team has also made clarifications in the policy docs to make sure this content is not flagged as per policy. Let us know if you have any additional questions, and let us know here in the Hub (tag both me and Peter) when you begin posting so we can keep an eye on it and make sure that your mastectomy content does not get flagged.

We're here to support you as you take this step.

8 Kudos
mycancerchic
Problem-solver

Thank you so much. @PinterestMyriah @PinterestPeter I truly appreciate this support and safety from he bottom of my heart! I am going to post my first story pin today and will share the link here once live.

6 Kudos
mycancerchic
Problem-solver

Woohoo first mastectomy story pin is live! Feels good no matter how it performs to be sharing something I am so passionate about! @PinterestMyriah @PinterestPeter  thank you for confirming it is a safe space and the guidelines. https://pin.it/4ScUoH2

5 Kudos
PinterestMyriah
Pinployee
Pinployee

@mycancerchic So proud of you Anna for sharing this. I'm so excited for you to continue sharing your story with the community, you truly are so brave and inspiring!

2 Kudos
mycancerchic
Problem-solver

Just wanted to loop back on this as I have a "How to do a BR**ST exam" idea pin in the works and must admit I am very nervous it will get flagged.

1 Kudo