Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Length of total idea pin 📌

nourishnestle
Posts regularly

I am confused and can't seem to find a straightforward answer...been looking for days though it is surely possible I've missed it somewhere! 

How long should a total idea pin be? I've seen something that said 60 seconds, but then I've seen something that said you can have 20 segments, each segment up to 60 seconds!

So, please help a girl out! Which is it? 

Introducing Idea Pin Downloading + Sharing 

1 Kudo
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JanaOMedia
Marvel

Hi, @nourishnestle! (Love your handle by the way... it feels so cozy!) 

There isn't one definite answer here, which may be why you're hearing different things. 

You are correct about how long your idea pins *COULD* be. 🙂 (Max 20 slides, max 60 seconds each).You can see the full creative specs on this page: https://help.pinterest.com/en/article/create-idea-pins 

But, you don't have to create pins that are that long... and most people don't. 

The real answer is that your idea pin should be as long as necessary to communicate the full idea that you want to communicate.

We don't want them to be longer than needed, because you may lose your viewer's attention.

But we don't want them to be so bite-sized that they don't show enough detail to inspire - or enough detail to really set the pinner up to *try* your idea. 

So the best advice is to really think about the pinner's experience when you create it. Will someone who is new to this idea understand it? Is it moving too fast for them to absorb the info? Or too slowly so it will feel draggy? Try to look at it from your audience's perspective. And... 

*** Pro Tip: Use the "preview" button after you've created the pin - but before you publish - to see how it will flow! (See Screenshot) ***

I hope this helps you a bit! 🙂 

IMG_7021.jpg

 

View solution in original post

3 Kudos
5 Replies
JanaOMedia
Marvel

Hi, @nourishnestle! (Love your handle by the way... it feels so cozy!) 

There isn't one definite answer here, which may be why you're hearing different things. 

You are correct about how long your idea pins *COULD* be. 🙂 (Max 20 slides, max 60 seconds each).You can see the full creative specs on this page: https://help.pinterest.com/en/article/create-idea-pins 

But, you don't have to create pins that are that long... and most people don't. 

The real answer is that your idea pin should be as long as necessary to communicate the full idea that you want to communicate.

We don't want them to be longer than needed, because you may lose your viewer's attention.

But we don't want them to be so bite-sized that they don't show enough detail to inspire - or enough detail to really set the pinner up to *try* your idea. 

So the best advice is to really think about the pinner's experience when you create it. Will someone who is new to this idea understand it? Is it moving too fast for them to absorb the info? Or too slowly so it will feel draggy? Try to look at it from your audience's perspective. And... 

*** Pro Tip: Use the "preview" button after you've created the pin - but before you publish - to see how it will flow! (See Screenshot) ***

I hope this helps you a bit! 🙂 

IMG_7021.jpg

 

3 Kudos
bodymindmood
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

@nourishnestle

Hi there...I am just adding to this post as I thought it was a great question with a great answer.

@JanaOMedia is 100% right in creating Idea Pins and what you should remember and think about when creating.

During the Beta of Idea Pins .... Story Pins Pinterest encouraged all of us to make between 5-7 slides per Idea Pin saying that one slide wasn't enough and as @JanaOMedia said 20 slides could actually cause the viewer to lose interest.

Pinterest also encouraged us to use as much Video as possible vs. Photos on the slides and definitely encouraged use of Video on the cover of your Idea Pin - I don't believe that has changed - the introduction of keywords (not hashtags) is really key when creating your Idea Pins.

Lastly, I remember a discussion during Office Hours that talked about creating Idea Pins directly on Pinterest vs. creating video somewhere else and adding it to your Idea Pin, Pinterest was not keen on you creating elsewhere and then adding to your Idea Pin -  these were some of the issues that many Creators brought forward to Pinterest and the responses we got from Pinterest. Whether these things still stand where creating Idea Pins I am not sure but they are definitely worth thinking about.

Lisa

1 Kudo
nourishnestle
Posts regularly

Thanks so much @JanaOMedia ! This is exactly the clarification I was looking for! 😘

1 Kudo
nourishnestle
Posts regularly

@bodymindmood , really appreciate your added guidance! The support here is great! 

2 Kudos
bodymindmood
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

@nourishnestle 

No worries I just wanted to add to an already great answer.

Please do keep coming back there are lots of great people like @JanaOMedia who are always willing and able to help.

Lisa

0 Kudos