Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Designing Pins: Text Overlays Do's & Don'ts

hostesstori
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Hi Everyone! 

I wanted to take a moment to share some best practices around designing Pins. 

I'm a big advocate for using text overlay to create a "one-two punch." Meaning, you want the Pinner to see a compelling image with an assist of text overlay that makes them stop their scroll. They're into the visual but the text overlay really lets them know WHAT the Pin is about. Essentially what they will get if they click it. 

However, many many Pins I see aren't executing the text overlay in the most optimized way. Keep in mind that most Pinners are on mobile so you should always assume that someone is seeing your Pin in their FEED on their phone. Not, a close up zoomed in Pin, actually among all the other Pins as they scroll. 

Adding too much text, too small of font, or hard to read fonts (like script) make your text overlay hard to read and can actually just end up looking like clutter and making your Pin stand out LESS.

Pro Tip: I always suggest uploading your Pin and then going checking it out yourself in your phone in the feed and see how it reads. Here are some examples of Pins I have designed. When a brand insists on a lot of text, or a detailed font, I will upload them and show them why that's not the best idea. 

Here are some Don'ts: Too much copy, hard to read fonts, text too small, text for the sake of text (vs really supporting the point of the Pin's content)

donts.jpg

Here are some Do's: Text is large, text is bolded, easy to read font, text is brief and supports what the Pin content is (it adds value to the Pin's image and aids Pinner in understanding what it's about)

dos.jpg

I hope this helps inspire some of you when you're designing your next Pins! 

12 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bodymindmood
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

@hostesstori Hi just saw your thread really great tips thank you. Lisa

View solution in original post

1 Kudo
9 Replies
mycancerchic
Problem-solver

wow this is insanely helpful. Thank you

2 Kudos

Thank you for sharing your insights on this. really helpful for me. 

1 Kudo
michaelbliss
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Thanks @hostesstori! This is very helpful!

2 Kudos
everydaylifewithlaura
Loves to help

These look great @hostesstori  Thx for the great tips!

1 Kudo
PinterestJazmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Wow these are such great tips, @hostesstori thanks for sharing! Such a good point about optimizing for mobile as well. 

1 Kudo
amandalee_hill
Just visiting

Really great thank you!

1 Kudo
thehalcyonhive
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Fantastic tips!  I loved that you shared examples of the do's and don'ts too.  Super helpful!

1 Kudo
bodymindmood
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

@hostesstori Hi just saw your thread really great tips thank you. Lisa

1 Kudo
UNIC567

Hi, I'm  newbie, thanks for the great content.

1 Kudo