Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Creating content outside your niche

bloomintheblack
Posts regularly

Hey friends! 

I'm in the Home Decor and DIY niche and I've basically stayed in my lane as far as creating content that aligns strictly to that. However, I do create the occasional recipe for my blog that I'd love to share through Idea Pins as well.

I'm curious to hear if you've ever deviated from your niche a bit and how that went? I don't want to confuse people who follow me or visit my profile, but I do think food and home can go hand in hand. 

Just trying to keep things fresh but don't want to shoot myself in the foot either 😅

TIA!

2 Kudos
9 Replies
mycancerchic
Problem-solver

I have definitely started doing this more and more and I think your audience has the space for that. I would suggest starting slow and infusing it into your current content with some context. Let them get to know you through your current content and then start to experiment a bit!

4 Kudos
bloomintheblack
Posts regularly

Great advice Anna, thank you! 💖

1 Kudo
pacecreative
Just visiting

I think that it is a great idea that you are infusing more content that aligns with who you are and what you love — I don't think you could ever go wrong with that. Food and home definitely go hand in hand and I don't think you would confuse anyone. Think of someone like Joanna Gaines, she effortlessly combined Home Decor, DIY, and food.

In the beginning, you can always share a recipe and a tip for styling your table or the presentation of the food if you are worried that it isn't aligned enough. 

3 Kudos
bloomintheblack
Posts regularly

Thanks that's a great perspective!

I love the idea of creating bridge content that mixes both topics in the beginning -- awesome tip ❤️

1 Kudo
kim_lucian
Just visiting

I’m starting to mix more in and it’s going pretty well. I think as long is it’s somewhat related and I stick to my niche 80% of the time it’s ok to round things out. 

1 Kudo
bloomintheblack
Posts regularly

I'm so glad to hear that! Thanks for sharing your experience.

0 Kudos
elizabethashleykelsey
Loves to help

I deviate alot actually. I use my one Pinterest account to cover several topics, a few of which I blog about. I guess the main ones are lifestyle, travel, and blogging/business. I've personally never had a problem growing my account while covering different niches. I think having different boards is the pivotal factor.

1 Kudo
acaketoremember
Loves to help

You could add some boards that are aimed at the topics that you want to branch out into. I've done that a few times and it's gone well.

1 Kudo
bloomintheblack
Posts regularly

Thanks for the encouragement @acaketoremember and @elizabethashleykelsey! I published my first new topic pin last week and it did pretty well!

1 Kudo