Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Changing the website Pinterest sees in my bio

christmasstars
Just visiting

I'm going to be changing the website that I point Pinterest too soon and making it into a blog website. Does changing the url make a difference to the stability of my Pinterest account?

Thanks

1 Kudo
4 Replies
terezatoledo
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Hi @christmasstars , welcome to the PBC!
Changing URL can have different implications, specially if you are creating pins that link to the current URL site. Are you adding a blog to the current site or completely changing the site URL? Are you just changing the website in your profile, but sending traffic to the same URL website?

First you'll have to make sure to the the claiming and verification process again to make sure all is in place. Second, your previous pins linked to your old url will not get updated or redirected automatically. If you have previous static pins that link to your old url and you still want to gain traffic from them, you must keep the url's the same. The least you could do for those is to have redirects in place so they don't become a dead link, even though Pinterest doesn't do well with redirects.

Before making this move, think it through. I've seen accounts loosing a lot of traffic and struggling to recover after changing URL's.

I hope this helps.

Depending on how much content you have created in your account, changing URL's is a risky move.

2 Kudos
bodymindmood
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

@christmasstars @terezatoledo 

Tereza is 100% right - changing the main URL is never a good idea if you don't need to as Tereza noted it can create a ton of issues.

A good idea if you are wanting to change URL's is adding the new URL but not making it your main URL on your Profile Page - consider adding a link on your site (current website) linking out to your new URL.

You can still create content with the new URL or your current URL without affecting anything else - this is just a thought.

Lisa

0 Kudos
christmasstars
Just visiting

Interesting.Thanks for the information.

1 Kudo
christmasstars
Just visiting

Good point actually. I just assumed that have a fair number of links to a new url could be problematic but never though on any of the current pins that point there

1 Kudo