Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Board Descriptions

therealsouthamerica
Jack-of-all-trades

Hi All👋

I am looking for some advice | inspiration on the topic of Board Descriptions.

Do you want to just put a lot of words in the description that describe the board without creating a written paragraph for the sake of SEO? Or Do you want to put a written paragraph to provide a good understanding of what your business | board is about?

I have been doing some research on Board Descriptions especially from the people who have a lot of followers and like millions of views what gives? They are so different (not just in topic) but fundamentally different in how the board descriptions are done some do not even have descriptions at all.

Thoughts?

Tagging some people here for solid insight and if your not tagged its because there are so many people that can offer good insight I can't keep track.....

@foodiehomechef @owlbbaking @typicallytopical @andrealidesigns @simplepinmedia 

Would appreciate some insight 🙏 I am looking to make some changes and I just turned left onto Trial & Error Drive and there is no parking.

Lisa😁

0 Kudos
11 Replies
andrealidesigns
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

@therealsouthamerica Ever since Google's Panda algorithm update in 2011 keyword 'stuffing' hasn't been an effective SEO strategy. That being said because Pinterest requires concise wording to understand the type of content on your profile, boards, and pins, you still need to use relevant keywords. 

But and this is a big 'but', you should also write for humans. Make your content enticing and create curiosity through your copy. This is good practice not just for board descriptions but for your pin descriptions too. 

I hope this helps! 🤓📌

2 Kudos
therealsouthamerica
Jack-of-all-trades

@andrealidesigns That really helps thank you! I see these boards that look like this (from a real account board) - on another board from the same account a mere 2 sentence paragraph. 

High Protein Dinner, Overnight Oatmeal, Oatmeal Cups, Simple Healthy Baked Chicken, Clean Natural Salads, Hearty Savory Sides, Sweet Potatoes, High Fiber Bean Casserole, Garlic and Herb Carrots and Pork, Zucchini Bake, Enchilada Casserole, Energy Bites, Peanut Butter Recipes, Healthy Buddha Bowl Recipes, Peanut Butter Banana Muffins, Quinoa Casserole, Clean Eating Dinner, Squash Soup, Hamburger Soup, Chicken Chili, Easy Chili Recipe, Healthy Cookie Recipe, and so much more!

241.24k followers 

Thank you for sharing - I want to make some changes but sometimes I question myself and sometimes maybe I should just leave it alone.

Lisa😁
1 Kudo
andrealidesigns
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

@therealsouthamerica Following what others do perfectly is less optimal than forging your own path imperfectly. My advice is to pay attention to the rules and then break them. Intentionally, sometimes to test what could work for your brand and your goals.

Everyone's path is unique and there is no roadmap, regardless of what course sellers or industry gurus may tell you. 

Listen to your own intuition. It can speak more truth than what you give it credit for. 

🤓📌

2 Kudos
foodiehomechef
Jack-of-all-trades

Hey Lisa, thanks for the tag. I recently edited a lot of my board descriptions, removing a reference to my Tailwind tribe.

You wrote: "Do you want to just put a lot of words in the description that describe the board without creating a written paragraph for the sake of SEO? Or Do you want to put a written paragraph to provide a good understanding of what your business | board is about? "   I feel both are necessary, that is... a description along with keywords.

I'm also going to be removing the hashtags I have on almost all my boards & replacing them with keywords. This is a huge chore because I have so many boards, so I think I'll wait till after the holidays.

Sample of long description (new format w/keywords): https://www.pinterest.com/foodiehomechef/rainbow-healthy-recipes/

Sample of short description (old format w/hashtags): https://www.pinterest.com/foodiehomechef/appetizers-snacks/

2 Kudos
therealsouthamerica
Jack-of-all-trades

@foodiehomechef OMG Simone your awesome .... I love you!❤️ Thank you I appreciate that!

Are you still using Tailwind or have you stopped? 

I just noticed some of the differences as I mentioned to @andrealidesigns and I was like What Gives? I changed my landing page description on Real South American Living if you have a moment I would appreciate some feedback from both of you. Its not long I added some little icon candy....lol I have also chosen some other words including my coordinates (showing some love to NM and CO) things like that I kind of like it its a little more fun - let me know and yes there is method to the madness I am implementing new purchasing options on my website and would like to co-ordinate Keywords | SEO keeping the consistency.

"My advice is to pay attention to the rules and then break them. Intentionally, sometimes to test what could work for your brand and your goals - @andrealidesigns this is probably one of the best pieces of advice .... seriously thank you so much."

When did this change happen? Where was I? Simone.....

I have to admit adding the Keywords (see above) on some level made sense, certainly based on that one account in terms of Viewership & Followers I get the feeling the more Keywords the bigger your reach on Pinterest as it relates to the Search Engine.

Looking for more people to jump in and share .... I am making notes📝 & need some food for thought when I am at the gym this morning 💪🏻

@allaboutbabyblog @PinterestGabby @GlowUpLibrary @glutenfreemomfour 

Lisa😁

2 Kudos
foodiehomechef
Jack-of-all-trades

@therealsouthamerica   My pleasure my friend❣️

Are you still using Tailwind or have you stopped?  Oh no, I'm still using it & I still own a very popular Tribe (now called Community). As a metter of fact I just "upped" my game over there at Tailwind to go to an unlimited account to get more exposure on my pins & it's working really well.

I just had a look at your landing page & new description. I never cared much for all those emojis/icons... however I do like the ones of the plane & earth right after your words' "Travel Freedom" but that's just my opinion & you should do what's best for you!

I also changed my landing page & used the format I posted regarding my board covers: https://www.pinterest.com/foodiehomechef/_created/ and I've decided to change the image at the top more often. Right now it's showing a Holiday/2021 image.

Lastly, I forgot to mention that I've also started changing the descriptions on my pins using the same format I mentioned before... eliminating hashtags & replacing them with keywords. In addition I always add #foodiehomechef & @foodiehomechef at the end. Using the tag gives me a notification every time someone saves one of my pins. Here's a sample to look at: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/298152437836707094/   Be sure to click on "More" to see the full text.

Oh... one more thing... you wrote "When did this change happen? Where was I? Simone....."   what change were you referring to?

1 Kudo
therealsouthamerica
Jack-of-all-trades

@foodiehomechef Your like my piece of Pinterest Heaven thank you for sharing - change that I am referring to is just descriptions using massive keyword list for SEO (see in my initial post) that list was from an actual board on an account and the follower count is real - I feel like that was something that happened and I don't know I missed it.

I will check out Tailwind, I really don't know anything about it and have not used it - they email a lot I know that but I wasn't sure if that was right for me. I have gotten three followers since making the change - I mean I don't want to sound dull | stale I like fresh and fun...corny right?

Change the image on the main landing page is a good idea for sure I am working on another video to add I feel like people really connect visually with the videos.

Lisa😁

0 Kudos
foodiehomechef
Jack-of-all-trades

Ahhh... gotcha regarding the change.

Not only will Tailwind save you a HUGE amount of time by using their Scheduler, but if you join Tribes/Communities in your niche will give you lots of more exposure.

1 Kudo
therealsouthamerica
Jack-of-all-trades

@foodiehomechef Thank You for that I will definitely do it - Its hard to know what's going to work and not work. 

I do a lot of research and I do a lot of reading so I can see some of the changes happening on Pinterest in addition to other platforms.

I am trying to make those changes obviously to encourage my business and encourage a more positive and sharing atmosphere here on Pinterest.

Lisa😁

1 Kudo