Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

2022 Pinterest Keyword Research Tips & Tricks

Monooutfit
Just visiting

Pinterest Keyword Research — what? You might be saying to yourself, why would I want to do keyword research when I already know exactly what I want my website to be about? To put it simply, keyword research will help your site perform better in the search engines and, ultimately, bring you more traffic that converts into paying customers.

Now, who wouldn’t like more of those? So how does keyword research help with your Pinterest marketing efforts? Let’s take a look at this month’s hottest Pinterest trends that you can’t afford to miss out on!

Analyze Popular Pins
If you’re new to Pinterest, it can be challenging to determine which keywords your target audience is using when they pin. But luckily, there are simple ways to discover — and improve — the terms people use on their boards. Try typing in one or two of your product keywords into a Pinterest search bar and then head over to popular pins for that search term.

Note down words and themes you see on those pins (e.g., flower prints, yellow patterns), as well as any common misspellings or alternate spellings (e.g., canvas instead of cotton). Keep an eye out for other relevant terms that don’t have many pins attached, too — those could potentially make great keyword suggestions for future products!

Target a Specific Interest
The first thing you should do when doing any kind of keyword research is target a specific interest, not a broad term. Find out what people are searching for in your niche and use that as your keyword instead of Pinterest marketing or Pinterest ideas.

This will help you get more traffic from Pinterest users who are really interested in that specific topic. To find related interests, run search queries based on your target keywords and look at the interests those terms come up for.

Identify Long Tail Keywords
When it comes to keyword research, most people focus on short-tail keywords, words, and phrases that have a clear meaning and an obvious association with a product or service. Long tail keywords, however, are more precise searches that generate fewer results but are much more targeted than their shorter counterparts.

Think of them as long-tail fishing — if you’re looking for big fish like tuna or marlin, you might be disappointed, but if you’re after sea bass or red snapper, there’s no better way to go about it. Identify long tail keywords by typing in three or four variations of a single search term into Google Search Console’s free AdWords Grader. If your search brings up mostly branded queries (i.e.

Learn about new trends
Even if you don’t find your own niche yet, it’s important to stay abreast of trends in your industry. Keeping up with changes can ensure that you don’t fall behind on competition or even stop your business from being something people want at all.

You should know what consumers and clients are searching for in order to create content that interests them. Ask yourself: How are keywords changing? Why are they changing? What does that mean for my content strategy? Where do I need to be focusing my energy and efforts?

Figure out what people like to buy
To get started with keyword research, you need to figure out what people like to buy. Start by thinking about your target audience and what kind of products they might be interested in.

You’ll also want to identify your competitors and see if they’re already ranking well for any keywords related to your niche or if they have any posts that you can use as inspiration for future content (if so, make sure you give credit where credit is due!).

Finally, search keywords + Pinterest in Google and see what terms come up most frequently. To narrow down these results, click on each page title one at a time until you find some good options to work with.

Learn from Competitors
I consider competitor research to be a form of reverse engineering. In other words, you’re trying to figure out how and why a specific page or website is converting so well. You’re essentially breaking down your competitors and figuring out which strategies are working for them.

This can be hugely beneficial for your own strategy. For example, if you see that another company has more than 100 pins on their Mother’s Day Gifts board, it probably wouldn’t hurt if you had one yourself!

Use Email Services That Understand Your Audience
Depending on your niche, there are a ton of email marketing services that can help you with your keyword research. Some of them will let you search their database for keywords, and others will allow you to conduct a survey or ask questions to get additional information. Here are a few of our favorites: 1. Qualaroo 2. BrightInfo 3. Polldaddy 4. Zoho 5. SurveyMonkey

Avoid Common Mistakes with Long Tail Keywords
As you continue to use Long Tail Pro, you’ll notice that it is able to provide you with more accurate estimates of search volume. This is because it’s not making rough guesses based on commonly used keywords like Best Headphones but rather pulling data from what actual humans are searching for.

Not only will Long Tail Pro help you estimate keyword search volume, but it will also tell you whether or not those keywords will be difficult to rank for (because they’re so targeted) or relatively easy (because so many people search for them). How? It analyzes all of your key competitors and checks their indexing details.

Thank You!

5 Kudos
3 Replies
michaelbliss
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

This is very helpful, @Monooutfit ! Thanks for sharing!

1 Kudo
Monooutfit
Just visiting

You're Welcome @michaelbliss 

1 Kudo
elizabethashleykelsey
Loves to help

These are fantastic tips!

0 Kudos