Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

When Searching On Pinterest ... What Makes You Stop-Look-Click & Follow?

therealsouthamerica
Jack-of-all-trades
Labels (6)

Hello PBC Community 👋

I have a question for all of you....

When you're searching or surfing around Pinterest and you see a Pin (even if the Pin is not what you were searching for) for example on your feed or search results what makes you stop look at the Pin Click and maybe even Follow that Board or Person?

Is it any of the following?

👉Information in the Pin (Story Pins)
👉Color | Photo | Text (fonts)
👉Video Pins

Looking for some feedback and maybe tips if anyone is looking to share.

Thank You❤️

6 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
typicallytopical
Loves to help

@therealsouthamerica Ah, there can be so many reasons why a post is eye-catching!

If it's a craft or cool DIY, I think simplicity is key i.e. letting the idea take center stage, and not cluttering it with too much text or other visuals.

Whereas for informational or how to posts, I definitely think fonts/sizes/colors and even length of a pin can stop the scroll.

Other times, it's just the wording on the pin the creator has used (there's a reason you can't help but click on Buzzfeed's posts even if you don't really *need* to know that info haha). Those clickbait-y titles can really drag you in, providing they sound realistic.

I don't really see story pins anymore. Don't know if that's because I'm in the UK and we no longer have the feature or something else.

I've also found shorter video pins (20-40 seconds) do better than longer for engagement surprisingly! 

Good question Lisa! Something I've been A/B split testing recently too 🙂

@PinterestGabby thanks for the tag!

View solution in original post

1 Kudo
19 Replies
PinterestGabby
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great discussion starter, Lisa! Let's see what some other folks have to say.. @owlbbaking @typicallytopical @hostesstori @myweddinginspire @AmericanoCrystals 🤗

2 Kudos
typicallytopical
Loves to help

@therealsouthamerica Ah, there can be so many reasons why a post is eye-catching!

If it's a craft or cool DIY, I think simplicity is key i.e. letting the idea take center stage, and not cluttering it with too much text or other visuals.

Whereas for informational or how to posts, I definitely think fonts/sizes/colors and even length of a pin can stop the scroll.

Other times, it's just the wording on the pin the creator has used (there's a reason you can't help but click on Buzzfeed's posts even if you don't really *need* to know that info haha). Those clickbait-y titles can really drag you in, providing they sound realistic.

I don't really see story pins anymore. Don't know if that's because I'm in the UK and we no longer have the feature or something else.

I've also found shorter video pins (20-40 seconds) do better than longer for engagement surprisingly! 

Good question Lisa! Something I've been A/B split testing recently too 🙂

@PinterestGabby thanks for the tag!

1 Kudo
therealsouthamerica
Jack-of-all-trades

@typicallytopical Hi there that's fantastic insight ... I am really trying to understand what helps people to react on Pinterest and inspires them to follow, click, or go back to a particular board or account partly because of course I want to make sure I am using the right approach and because I sometimes I have an idea and I am never sure if changing a particular item on a pin eg. font size, color, or picture will make a difference. I completely agree with you on Video, the shorter time videos seem to pack more power within perhaps an hour of it being approved - this I assume is because people want to do see more in less time so they can move around quicker on Pinterest? Completely agree on Buzzfeed its weird right? There is something about their presentation that just makes you want to click....

I see Story Pins and they have made changes to include video so I am going to try it out using me as my model re fitness - I didn't get a lot of good traction with Story Pins and I think it was the way I was presenting my ideas through Story Pins.

Thanks for the insight I am making notes thanks for taking the time to respond - Really great to have you back at the community - Lisa😁

@PinterestGabby 

0 Kudos
AmericanoCrystals
Problem-solver

@therealsouthamerica Hi Lisa!

This is a great question!

I am more attracted by videos and photos, I like colorful and well designed photos.

As Pinterest is a visual search engine I think users are more likely to attract by images 

2 Kudos
hostesstori
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Hi there! I have a blog post with 3 things I ALWAYS keep in mind when designing Pins and have examples too. Maybe this will help? http://www.toritait.com/compelling-pinterest-creatives/ 

1 Kudo
therealsouthamerica
Jack-of-all-trades

@AmericanoCrystals @hostesstori Hi there thanks for the feedback and I will check out the link - I like the videos and well done photos with a lot of color too! Those kinds of pins really make me wake up while online and if the pins are consistent in their presentation then I follow the board or person - When the account more specifically is telling me a story. That's good information Lisa😁

Example:

Photos with furniture and design 
White background with bright accents and a clean font
Useful and specific on a subject

1 Kudo
oursmallhours
Just visiting

I think I'm pretty old school - I scan for words. I want info. Unless it's a recipe. I'll click those based on the image alone. 😋🥘

1 Kudo
therealsouthamerica
Jack-of-all-trades

@oursmallhours Hi - okay so I get the recipe images I can barely pin to those boards without getting hungry .... really tough! Can you explain what you about words when scanning I would love to know more Lisa😁

0 Kudos
therealsouthamerica
Jack-of-all-trades

@hostesstori Hi there I checked out your link....thanks for the info. I suppose what I am really what is your Yes! moment where your like I just found an awesome pin but the info you provided is really helpful. Just followed you glad you're in the community. Lisa😁

0 Kudos