Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Idea Pins Seems Like Compensation...

designlife009

...Ultimately, it’s just my perspective but isn’t this what Instagram is for? Last night, when I was browsing through existing Idea Pins to reverse engineer them, my Mac barked at me: “This web page is using a significant amount of energy. Please close the page to make your Mac more responsive (last sentence paraphrased).” 

I’ve always thought of Pinterest as an image search engine and mood board. I understand the applications for crafters and tutorials but isn’t this just taking away from an otherwise stellar niche model that nobody else is doing better right now? After all, not even Google can intuitively know which images are similar to the one you are viewing as accurately as Pinterest can. It’s like having an experienced design friend sitting next to you while you browse.  

Maybe I’m just an old fashioned, ‘don’t reinvent the wheel’ guy. 

2 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
theauthorencounter
Just visiting

@bodymindmood @designlife009 Thank for welcoming me to the community. Who told you that lie? Facebook is not the founder of Pinterest. 

Pinterest is an American image sharing and social media service designed to enable saving and discovery of information (specifically "ideas"[6]) on the internet using images and, on a smaller scale, animated GIFs and videos,[7] in the form of pin boards.[8] The site was created by Ben SilbermannPaul Sciarra, and Evan Sharp and had over 400 million monthly active users as of August 2020.[9] It is operated by Pinterest, Inc., based in San Francisco. 

Pinterest has nothing to do with Mark Zuckerberg.

As for Idea pins no, just no I get that idea pins and story pins are all the trend on Facebook and Instagram or instaface since they are one now. I just wish that Pinterest was not being assimilated in to that line of thought that every plateform has to be the same.

View solution in original post

1 Kudo
4 Replies
theauthorencounter
Just visiting

I agree with you. I am not seeing the point other than to make Pinterest more like Facebook and Instagram. Personally, I don't think the world needs more of Facebook or Instagram. It could just be me.

1 Kudo
bodymindmood
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Hi there @theauthorencounter @designlife009 glad you made it to the community - thought I would share this for your info Facebook is the Parent Company of Pinterest.

As for Idea Pins this is becoming common for all Social Media including Twitter.

Lisa

0 Kudos
theauthorencounter
Just visiting

@bodymindmood @designlife009 Thank for welcoming me to the community. Who told you that lie? Facebook is not the founder of Pinterest. 

Pinterest is an American image sharing and social media service designed to enable saving and discovery of information (specifically "ideas"[6]) on the internet using images and, on a smaller scale, animated GIFs and videos,[7] in the form of pin boards.[8] The site was created by Ben SilbermannPaul Sciarra, and Evan Sharp and had over 400 million monthly active users as of August 2020.[9] It is operated by Pinterest, Inc., based in San Francisco. 

Pinterest has nothing to do with Mark Zuckerberg.

As for Idea pins no, just no I get that idea pins and story pins are all the trend on Facebook and Instagram or instaface since they are one now. I just wish that Pinterest was not being assimilated in to that line of thought that every plateform has to be the same.

1 Kudo
bodymindmood
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

@theauthorencounter no but Facebook is a shareholder - Facebook did not start the company and do not own it but Pinterest is owned by shareholders of which Facebook is a part of.

Ben Silbermann - originally worked for Google on AdSense and is the CEO of Pinterest

Paul Sciarra - originally worked for Facebook - he designed Pinterest and was a product designer at Facebook he currently leads the Pinterest Creative Team

Evan Sharp - originally was a lawyer and worked in venture capital. 

They are the founders.

Lisa

0 Kudos