Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

From mid December, my impressions have dropped by 95%

9tailed_kitsune
Just visiting

Hello everyone,

I am facing struggles that maybe many creators can relate to. 

My account (36k followers) had been performing well for years (except for one time when I got wrongfully caught in the spam filter, which took more than one week to fix). That is, until middle December. I noticed that despite no change in strategy, one day, my traffic dropped from ~550k/ impression a day to 350k. No biggie, I thought. Well, it never went up again and stagnated at 300-350k.

I was still hoping that it might fix itself but it never did. At this point, I was frustrated but hopeful that if I continue to work hard everything will work out in the long term. No. Not even 2 months have passed and I was at 150k/day which was already really low and I tried pushing Pinterest Idea Pins to make up for the lost traffic. I messaged the support but I got a canned response and I think no one even looked at my account. Fast forwards to now, only a few days ago I noticed that my impressions dropped by half and never went up again. The natural curve is maybe 100k +- and going up and down, which is not the case. Once the impressions dropped to less than 60k impressions/day, it never went back where it was and stagnates there. This was the breaking point for me and I tried messaging the support & also checked some stats.

I realized that ALL Pins that are not linking to my claimed website (not claimed anymore because I tried to disconnect it and reconnect yesterday, which by the way didn't work, my website has not been claimed despite inserting the tag to the <head>) were performing just fine while the ones heading to my site dropped by 95%!!! Now note that this is more than 20 000 Pins that were performing perfectly fine for months with content that is not seasonal.

I was trying to be rational but when I tried reverse searching around 100 Pins with exact keywords & titles, nothing shows up in "All Pins". Meaning, I have been deindexed for sure despite not engaging in any spammy behavior ever. The worst thing: the support does not really talk to me. They send me the same response always which greatly frustrates me. It's a "bot-message" about ebbs and flows. I highly doubt that anyone has looked at my account because I am convinced that I have been either caught in a spam filter/ deindexed with all Pins related to my domain. My domain Pins, which were ~3 months ago generating half a million impressions/day now generate less than 20 000< impressions/day. 

Honestly, I am done. I don't even know what to do. This is not a strategy thing, I am 100% deindexed or in a spam block filter (wrongfully) while no one acknowledges it/talks to me. I am thinking I might give up completely at this point despite spending so much time on this Platform while trying to create quality stuff. It feels like everything was in vain. 

Sorry for the rant...

0 Kudos
11 Replies
chillnglow
Posts regularly

Hi @9tailed_kitsune 

I'm sorry you have to go though this. A lot of creators have experienced, or are experiencing this right now. And unfortunately, I'm one of them.

About a week ago, my pinterest impressions completely flatlined. Impressions went from over 250k a day to under 30k. I thought i was losing my mind. 

Reaching out to support is usually a lost cause, since they'll just respond with the usual "ebbs and flows" message. 

The most frustrating thing is that no one seems to know what causes this, and hence, no one knows how to solve it. 

I've read that some accounts recover after a while, while some others never recover. It's a truly terrifying thing to experience. 

1 Kudo
9tailed_kitsune
Just visiting

Hello @chillnglow ,

I am also sorry for you because it's like a nightmare. If it hasn't worked before it would be a different thing, but it has worked perfectly fine and then it's all gone. All those days spent, effort and time put into each Pin in vain. 

Yeah, it's exactly as you say. It has been all but helpful messaging the support. 

Now I can't even claim my website back after I disconnected it, which just fuels my theory that I am actually restricted/blocked despite receiving no e-mail or warning (For no reason).

1 Kudo
healthyambitionsteam
Loves to help

I'm in the same boat. My Pinterest account took a dumpster dive and I'm only getting double-digit outbound clicks to my website. I reached out to support and only got a stupid canned response. Pinterest doesn't care. I quit using them as a user 2 years ago because the user experience sucks, and I'm about done with them as a creator too. They have ruined the platform. I check in here occasionally to see if it's getting better for anyone, but its not. I used to love Pinterest, but now I hate the platform.

There's my rant for the day.

3 Kudos
chillnglow
Posts regularly

Hi Cathy, @healthyambitionsteam 

Sorry to hear you're going through the same thing. It honestly hurts that Pinterest decides to turn a blind eye to this. 

If i may ask, when did you start to experience the massive slump in impressions? 

0 Kudos
healthyambitionsteam
Loves to help

@chillnglow my outbound clicks have been slowly going down ever since they started pushing Idea Pins to keep people on the platform, but it cratered around March 12th.....seriously, I'm getting less than 50 outbound clicks a day now, which is ridiculous for the food niche. I basically feel like Pinterest gave me the middle finger.

0 Kudos
shoshanasue
Just visiting

I completely understand your frustration because I am going through the same. A lot of us bloggers were seemingly shadowbanned on 12/13 March. I have lost traffic to my site and all my pins have been deindexed. Spammers are however thriving using my pins to create Idea Pins and they are ranking really well. 

Like you, I did not change my strategy and of course, my content is original and I never engage in spammy behavior.

I emailed Support when this happened and received the same old canned response and nothing else.

The tech team is very much aware of what happened to genuine content creators but they choose to ignore us. It is really sad that we get treated like this. 

This thread alone shows that there is a serious problem but no will to resolve anything.

0 Kudos
chillnglow
Posts regularly

Well this is certainly no coincidence @shoshanasue @healthyambitionsteam 

My slump in impressions happened between march 12 and 13th as well. And if i recall correctly, it was probably around that same period people reported seeing zero impressions on their new pins or so, which was later corrected in the subsequent days.

Whatever update or change they did seemed to affect a lot of us and they don't seem to be acknowledging it yet.

I tried reaching out to support again. Still no response. 😓

0 Kudos
healthyambitionsteam
Loves to help

@chillnglow  the last time something like this happened (back in 2020 and into early 2021, I think), tons of accounts lost traffic and most never recovered to where they were before. 

Pinterest has major problems and make it worse by NOT being transparent about it....in 2020 all they kept saying was to create new and fresh pins because they were favoring new pins over old....but that was a total lie because any traffic people continued to get was on OLD pins, not new.

Pinterest is turning off existing users and existing content creators.....AND the GenZ crowd has no interest in using the platform. It's going to be a slow and painful death, and I'm really happy I'm not a Pinterest VA, because I really feel sorry for them right now...in fact, I ended up letting my Pinterest VA go because the results just weren't there even through she produced spectacular work.

Going public and answering to their shareholders was the absolute worst decision they could have made. It's been all downhill since then.

Ok, I'll jump off the soapbox now, lol

1 Kudo
healthyambitionsteam
Loves to help

@shoshanasue  and it's not just this thread either...it's been an ongoing, repeating issue for nearly 2 years now......I know so many BIG bloggers who have written Pinterest off. It's really sad when I can get more traffic from my Instagram link in bio than I can from Pinterest. I had several IG Reels go viral that drove a ton of traffic to my website. 

0 Kudos