Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Best Practices for Choosing Tags

owlbbaking
Loves to help

Hi All! 

I wanted to get some collective feedback on how you're going about choosing which tags to use on video pins & story pins. I have a couple of questions. 

I've noticed that sometimes I'll type in a keyword and the tag selector will pop up with a totally different keyword. 

For instance, I searched for "Easter dessert" and "Pudding" was the only relevant tag that popped up. The pin I was posting isn't "Pudding" (it was for a cupcake recipe), but my recipe is relevant to "Easter Dessert". 

Would it be suitable to select the "Pudding" tag here even though it's not pudding? I want to rank for "Easter Dessert" searches so I feel like it should be added if Pinterest is telling me that's where that keyword lies. It's kind of confusing. 

Also, as seen in the SS below, I added the tag for Easter Cookies because I was thinking that people who search for Easter cookies may also be interested in making my Easter Cupcakes. Is that best practice? Or should it be reserved for pins about Easter cookies only? 

Annotation 2021-03-16 112126.jpg

Looking forward to your thoughts!!! 🙂

1 Kudo
4 Replies
bodymindmood
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

@owlbbaking hello there glad to see your still here 😁

I have the same thing when I do Story Pins (specifically) Fitness | Health 

Given the list you posted my thoughts are stick with

Easter | Holiday | DIY Easter | Easter Recipes

Consider: Desserts | Cupcakes & potentially Sweets | Breads | Pastry | Confection | try also Cup Cake (with the space between the words)

I think its just different word usage to describe them - I think the way you do its about a particular topic but I noticed that when I type or search for tags and use different terms that aren't common then the tags I want to use show up.

Hope that helps you! Lisa😎

1 Kudo
owlbbaking
Loves to help

Hi @bodymindmood Thank you for the feedback!! Ahh yes, I've been busy the last few months getting my first digital product launched - finally getting some more time back to work on Pinterest things!

That makes sense. I'll give that a try too! Appreciate it!

1 Kudo
dailydoseofluxury
Posts regularly

I second the other feedback. I myself tend to think too specifically and if you think about Pinterest being a search engine, people are looking with a more general eye, if that makes sense. I try to get as close to possible and it usually helps. For your example, the fact it's easter alone should bring you up in searches.

2 Kudos
owlbbaking
Loves to help

Thank you!! @dailydoseofluxury 🙂 Appreciate the input!!

0 Kudos