Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Traffic from OLD pins vs NEW pins

healthyambitionsteam
Loves to help

For the past year, everything coming out of Pinterest is that we should focus on NEW pins....that Pinterest wants to see NEW pins. 

But my analytics are painting a much different picture. I'm attaching 2 screenshots of pin activity for the past 30 days.

1. Outbound Clicks of ALL pins in the past 30 days (includes all pins from the last two years)

2. Outbound Clicks for NEW pins created in the past 30-days.

My old pins continue to outperform my new pins by leaps and bounds.

@PinterestGabby , I feel like Pinterest really needs to adjust its messaging, because we have a lot of frustrated bloggers out there wondering why new pins are not working as we're told they should.

Thankfully, the traffic from my old pins is growing quite well, and my traffic is up significantly since the first of the year. I'm not complaining about traffic (I know that's usually the case here, lol), but I am concerned about the message.

Old Pins.png

New Pins.png

  

7 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
healthyambitionsteam
Loves to help

@foodiehomechef  My guess is, that as the Pinterest algorithm becomes more advanced, this platform will become more of a "long-game", similar to Google Search, where it may take months for new pins to truly gain traction in the search algorithm. And I would be fine with that if Pinterest would just say that's how it is now. 

The days of truly "going viral" on Pinterest are gone. It doesn't matter if another blogger with 250k followers and 10M monthly impressions shares my pin because my URL is not claimed on their account. 

When I share ANY pins that are not linked to my claimed URL, I'm lucky if it ever shows impressions, much less anything close to my own pins linked to my claimed URL. Pinterest has basically killed collaborations between bloggers on this platform. 

I'm afraid this will become a "pay-to-play" model like other social media (Facebook, IG, etc...)

View solution in original post

2 Kudos
6 Replies
healthyambitionsteam
Loves to help

@PinterestLucy  @Anonymous  tagging more Pinterest folks for feedback on this

0 Kudos
foodiehomechef
Jack-of-all-trades

@healthyambitionsteam    I found the same thing Cathy... my old pins are doing better than the new ones. Also, when I make new pins for an old post/url those do really well too.

2 Kudos
healthyambitionsteam
Loves to help

@foodiehomechef  My guess is, that as the Pinterest algorithm becomes more advanced, this platform will become more of a "long-game", similar to Google Search, where it may take months for new pins to truly gain traction in the search algorithm. And I would be fine with that if Pinterest would just say that's how it is now. 

The days of truly "going viral" on Pinterest are gone. It doesn't matter if another blogger with 250k followers and 10M monthly impressions shares my pin because my URL is not claimed on their account. 

When I share ANY pins that are not linked to my claimed URL, I'm lucky if it ever shows impressions, much less anything close to my own pins linked to my claimed URL. Pinterest has basically killed collaborations between bloggers on this platform. 

I'm afraid this will become a "pay-to-play" model like other social media (Facebook, IG, etc...)

2 Kudos
healthyambitionsteam
Loves to help

BUT, with all that said, Pinterest is still the biggest driver of traffic to my website. I just miss the old Pinterest and know I need to focus more efforts on ranking on Google Search.

1 Kudo
foodiehomechef
Jack-of-all-trades

@healthyambitionsteam  I think your assessment is right on the money Cathy!

0 Kudos
foodiehomechef
Jack-of-all-trades

@healthyambitionsteam  Same here Cathy... Pinterest is #1 for traffic. Gawd how I join you in missing the old Pinterest, it just doesn't seem to be fun anymore. I've been hearing the same thing regarding Google search from a lot of food bloggers that I know who have grown weary with Pinterest.

0 Kudos