Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

No Watermark on Idea Pin Downloads?

EntWithBeth
Posts regularly

Hi All,

Has anyone else noticed a high amount of downloads on your Idea Pins? I've just started noticing this, even though I have the permissions to do this set to "OFF" or I think I do? (See attached) But yet I keep seeing downloads noted on my Pins. What concerns me about this is the fact that there is no attribution that A.) It's coming from Pinterest and B.) Who the creator is.

TikTok automatically stamps a watermark with both on any downloads. I good amount of my time is spent policing "pirated videos" of mine across the web, where people download it, then reupload the content as their own I'm hoping Pinterest can fix this ASAP because I do remember a time when the Pinterest watermark and Creator name did appear? Why was that taken off? But importantly, @PinterestGabby @Anonymous @PinterestAlia how can I prevent these downloads from happening since it appears the permissions switch set to off is still not preventing it. Thanks! Beth

8 Kudos
21 Replies
wellbeingswithalysia
Just visiting

Oh wow! I didn't know this was a thing! Where can you check to see if your idea pins have been downloaded?

1 Kudo
isabelledias
Loves to help

@EntWithBeth You voiced my concerns beautifully. I am also confused about the download not having a watermark. Thank you for that, Beth! 

2 Kudos
KaileysMonogramShop
Loves to help

It s sad but that practice has been around for years - taking video, pics, etc. 

I have had overseas take my work and it is hard to do anything since out of my country. 

Watermarks can easily be removed also - unless you later then several times and then it gets a little cumbersome to remove them 

1 Kudo
budgetwithmel
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

I did notice this as well! 

1 Kudo
EntWithBeth
Posts regularly

See attached, it's the icon the arrow is pointing at, if you click that it will launch another window where you can share it or download it. Despite clicking the button to "Not Allow Downloads" which is in settings/permissions.  So you can see I think this pin has been downloaded 74 times? But for what purpose I'd like to know? Pinterest is the best organizer on the planet, so why would someone need to download it, and without a watermark? 

Pinterest_DownloadButton2.jpgPinterest_DownloadButton.jpg

1 Kudo
EntWithBeth
Posts regularly

And the weird thing is it used to have a watermark a few months ago? Not sure why it's no longer there? @PinterestGabby @Anonymous @PinterestAlia @PinterestAlessio I would also be concerned about music rights issues with this practice unless Pinterest owns the music outright that we use from the Idea Pin Library, I would assume the clearance would only be for on the Pinterest platform or shared but with a watermark attributing the content to the Pinterest platform and the creator, which is how most of these libraries work. 

1 Kudo
mycancerchic
Problem-solver

I started seeing that as well. It used to be the watermark was there but it seems to be gone now. I will note that when I go into that icon for other people's stories I can only share and copy links I cannot download, but on my own I can download (without watermark) which was something I actually asked for specifically. Not sure if that is the case for others. 

1 Kudo
EntWithBeth
Posts regularly

Yes it' so true and a really obnoxious practice on FB has been pirated videos that then get reuploaded, monetized, and the "Pirate" then creates Content strikes against the original creator ugh. I have a friend who this has happened to. Can you imagine? I think the watermark TikTok uses for downloads is good because it's really hard to cut around due to the placement, you lose a lot of the content or GFX. Pinterest_TikTokMark.jpg

1 Kudo
EntWithBeth
Posts regularly

Yes I noticed this too, BUT why then are there numbers next to the download button? OR MAYBE HOPEFULLY these are shares? @PinterestGabby 

1 Kudo