Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Mastectomy Community Guidelines?

mycancerchic
Problem-solver

As a breast cancer survivor, being able to share mastectomy photos on Pinterest has been huge for my blog and helped so many women find the valuable experience and resources I provide. Most of my story pins thus far have been about other aspects of my life: style, beauty, toddler life, food and coffee but I am ready to start sharing more of my cancer content on story pins but I will admit I am scared. I want to know what the community guidelines are as to showing mastectomy content and scars. On other platforms mastectomy content is protected but last time I shared something on story pins with just the word "breast" related to mastectomy it got flagged. I would love to know where Pinterest stands on this and how breast cancer creators can safely share without our content being reported. 

7 Kudos
23 Replies
PinterestGabby
Community Manager
Community Manager

cc: @PinterestMyriah ^ 

1 Kudo
mindbloomyou
Just visiting

Hello @mycancerchic, it's so good to hear you are doing this. I am a breast cancer survivor myself and my content also revolves around mastectomies, cancer, lots of skin showing, and, like you, I'm always nervous about being flagged as well. Moreover, I work in the mental health field and I'm sure that the words "depression" and "anxiety" aren't much better than "cancer"... I'd love to hear everyone's suggestions/opinions.

And let's connect, I'm @mindbloomyou 👋🏼

1 Kudo
mycancerchic
Problem-solver

YAY so excited to connect! Would love to check out your content and support one another.

2 Kudos
PinterestMyriah
Pinployee
Pinployee

Hi @mycancerchic thanks for following up about this and apologies for the delayed response. I have reached out to the team to double check this content will not get flagged and will write back as soon as I have a response. Thank you for the very important content you are sharing.

cc: @PinterestGabby 

2 Kudos
PinterestMyriah
Pinployee
Pinployee

@mycancerchic I just heard back and this type of content is protected under our policies since its falls under mastectomy content, so you should not have any issues publishing it. Please reach out if you have any questions and concerns.

cc: @PinterestGabby 

1 Kudo
mycancerchic
Problem-solver

thank you so much!

1 Kudo
mycancerchic
Problem-solver

@PinterestMyriah @PinterestPeter I just posted my mastectomy pin would you be able to check to ensure my new post doesn't get flagged?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/276267758383331304/

1 Kudo
mycancerchic
Problem-solver

@PinterestMyriah @PinterestPeter I am circling back to this post. I was reviewing my engagement and metrics for the month of April and noticed that my stats dipped significantly on the exact day I posted my mastectomy tattoo idea pin last month. As I know my content has been incorrectly flagged before on this topic, I was wondering if you may be able to help me look into this. I reached out to support but got a canned response. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/276267758384620408/. I get so nervous now that when I post this important content it gets me flagged. 

1 Kudo
PinterestMyriah
Pinployee
Pinployee

@mycancerchic hope you're well, we miss you! thanks for flagging this. I'll follow up with the team to look into what's going on here, hold tight!

2 Kudos
mycancerchic
Problem-solver

Thanks so much @PinterestMyriah  missing the Pinterest team too!

1 Kudo