Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Advice Needed: Tagging Posts and More

dopemystic
Just visiting
Labels (4)

Good morning everyone! I'm here desperately seeking some advice. I recently left all social media platforms in favor of Pinterest for the most part, and it's been tough on me as I try to rebuild a base of customers and followers on the platform- it feels a lot like starting over after almost 5 years of running my own online biz. I've been struggling with Pinterest a great deal lately. My story pins once received views by the thousands and now they're in the single digits. I no longer make static posts at all because I'm lucky if they're seen by 3 people. And I've been trying for about 6 months to comprehend how to ingest a data source properly with Squarespace in order to create a Pinterest shop with absolutely no luck. I feel overwhelmed and a bit defeated. Pinterest is my only way of reaching potential shoppers, and my handmade jewelry biz is my full time gig to support a family of 15. 

I'm looking for advice in general, but I do also have a very specific issue I'd love some feedback on. I'm finding it difficult to find tags for the things I post. Most of the handmade tags don't apply, and there's not a wide enough range of options for jewelry or jewelry makers. I see keywords pop up all the time that resonate, but not tags- does this mean I should hone in on these keywords in descriptions? Do tags play a very important role in being seen, and if so, how do I tag my posts when hardly any suggested tags are the right fit for me?

Thanks to anyone willing to assist in any way. I feel like giving up, so a fresh perspective is greatly appreciated!

3 Kudos
8 Replies
PinterestGabby
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hiya @dopemystic, thanks for sharing your experience with the community. I'm going to go ahead and tag some of our resident community folks to chime in here  -- regarding ingesting the data source properly via Squarespace, have you reached out to our support team about this? They'll be able to help with troubleshooting on that.

• A data source URL is a link to the location from where Pinterest will be able to fetch your data source
  • This URL must begin with http://, https://, ftp://, or sftp://, and include the full filepath, and no credentials in the URL)
  • We don't accept compressed files at this time 

There's some more info in this article that's helpful, too. 

@simplepinmedia, @therealsouthamerica, @foodiehomechef, @AmericanoCrystals@typicallytopical@owlbbaking@kellyacavanaugh 

5 Kudos
therealsouthamerica
Jack-of-all-trades

@dopemystic Hi - I have added a video for your re Squarespace - you will have to create the .CSV File and then import the file to Pinterest @PinterestGabby has given you the file link on how to add the .CSV file to Pinterest. 

I also have added the links below to articles on Squarespace about creating a .CSV file - I have nothing on my Commerce Page re Products because I don't sell Products but in order to create the file you will have to export all your products. Use Gabby's link on how to import the file to Pinterest you have already claimed your website so you're half way there.

Exporting Products

.CSV & Pinterest

Squarespace .CSV

I will do a different reply for your other questions.

Being friends with you is magick Lisa

3 Kudos
therealsouthamerica
Jack-of-all-trades

@dopemystic 

PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP - I definitely feel you on other Social Media and Pinterest does take time but worth the wait.

Re the Video Pin #s no worries happens to me all the time they go up and then disappear and then come back I do believe this is on the Pinterest end so honestly I don't worry about them if your really concerned then by all means submit a ticket to support.

When I do my Story Pins I add Tags from Pinterest as you do - when I am adding the tags I keep it very general rather than really specific - I find I get a wider selection from Pinterest if I stay general rather than really specific.

Example:

Unique Jewelry ...... No 👉 Handmade Jewelry ....... Yes  - Tags

A Unique Recipe For A Great Piece of Jewelry ...... - SEO

Style Up! A Great Necklace For That Special Occasion ...... -SEO 

The Sound of Bohemian Love ...... - SEO

Tags are good but the information in your Pins (keywords | SEO) are in my opinion more important. Focus on your descriptions and Story Pin content SEO. You can also re work your SEO as often or as little as you like - remember the Trends feature under Analytics you can use that to find some good SEO as well. I re work my Pinterest Account Description and Board Descriptions periodically by adding keywords. For me Pinterest is a little like Google in the sense that the newer the pins | SEO et al the better Pinterest likes Fresh = Pinteresh.

I am really glad your here and I love what you do - Be Positive and Think Positive!

The Time is now for new things, I mean things are changing and opportunities are presenting themselves where they didn't exist before and opportunity is knocking.

Lisa😁

5 Kudos
simplepinmedia
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Hi @dopemystic! I completely agree with the suggestions Lisa mentioned. Keywording and descriptions are going to be one of the more important aspects to focus on. Another key component would be image design (I wouldn't give up on those static images, yet! They're the ones that link to your site!) or Story Pin layout (how you're drawing them in) or video pin layout. We talk about pin design often on the podcast. Very important! Also, consider shopper's experience when they do head over to your site or store. Pinterest does consider this for their users. 
Finally, I will say that this year alone has been strange and funky! With COVID causing abnormal spikes, Pinterest changing and adding new features, etc. it's causing some to scramble. By best advice right now to stay the course, keep up with best practices. You're bound to have a comeback. 

-Tabby

5 Kudos
AmericanoCrystals
Problem-solver

@dopemystic Hi there!

I definitely feel you, and I even sent a private message to @PinterestGabby about this issue.

My story Pins were usually gain in 8-10 k impressions and now it dropped by 600-1000 impressions!

I will write detailed post about it on here business chat and let you know if my problem is solved, we can keep in touch and solve it altogether.

Follow @therealsouthamerica 's advices and never give up!

I think it has something to do with new Pinterest update and it will be settled in a very short amount of time.

4 Kudos
dopemystic
Just visiting

@therealsouthamerica Thank you so much for the tips! I don't ever get those sort of suggestions for tags, though. I have never seen a handmade jewelry tag, just a lot of DIY which does not apply as I sell my designs. I know that Pinterest encourages selling on the platform, but finding the right tags for commerce has proven a challenge for me. I'll work on my descriptions/keywords more. 

@simplepinmedia I have to agree about this year being "funky" lol! I've had a few hiccups with Pinterest as of late, some of which I addressed via email with someone not too long ago because it's gotten so discouraging. Also, you mentioned the shopper's experience when they head to the site...is it possible you could link me to more info on that? I recently did a huge rebranding and worked very hard on redoing the entire website. I'm proud of it, but if there's room for improvement I'm all in! Also, I had no idea there was a podcast-what?! I'm finding there are many more avenues to this than I was aware of, lol! It's overwhelming but also amazing-you guys really do care about our success.

2 Kudos
dopemystic
Just visiting

@AmericanoCrystals oooo!!

Yes, definitely chat me up and let's work together to figure this out! Following you and looking forward to staying in touch!

2 Kudos
simplepinmedia
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

@dopemystic From this link look under 'Standard Pins'. If you've just worked on a fresh look and revamp then you're probably good. 🙂 

The podcast I referenced is not a Pinterest podcast rather Pinterest for marketers and Pinterest account management strategies all gathered from Pinterest's best practices and creator experience with hundreds of accounts. 🙂 And yes, many avenues to discover and learn. 

-Tabby

2 Kudos