Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Adding hashtags - does it help?

RealWoodFloorsWP
Posts regularly
Labels (1)

Does adding hashtags to a caption help your post? 

I have don't it in the past but haven't seen any difference from my pins without hashtags

5 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
owlbbaking
Loves to help

I've found that it helps, yes. For a long time I felt like they weren't needed (just by my own speculation) but after adding them, I'm seeing better traffic numbers! I think a big key is using specific, targeted hashtags that you know people are already searching for.

What I do is, go to the Pinterest home page and enter my main keyword in the search bar. Pinterest will run that search and then add suggestions in the bubbles below the search bar based on related things that people are searching for. THOSE are the words I use in my hashtags and description. It takes all of the guesswork out of figuring out what users are searching for on Pinterest. 

Hopefully that helps!!

View solution in original post

24 Kudos
15 Replies
fashionayasha
Just visiting

I see it makes a huge difference in what I pin. It seems most beneficial when I use tags and a description. 

2 Kudos
owlbbaking
Loves to help

I've found that it helps, yes. For a long time I felt like they weren't needed (just by my own speculation) but after adding them, I'm seeing better traffic numbers! I think a big key is using specific, targeted hashtags that you know people are already searching for.

What I do is, go to the Pinterest home page and enter my main keyword in the search bar. Pinterest will run that search and then add suggestions in the bubbles below the search bar based on related things that people are searching for. THOSE are the words I use in my hashtags and description. It takes all of the guesswork out of figuring out what users are searching for on Pinterest. 

Hopefully that helps!!

24 Kudos
RealWoodFloorsWP
Posts regularly

Thank you! This is super helpful and very interested to see growth when using more hashtags.

4 Kudos
owlbbaking
Loves to help

You got it! 😉  I saw a huge difference after using this method, I'm certain you will too!

4 Kudos
vamicreations1
Posts regularly

@owlbbaking Thank you! Sounds like doing Pinterest SEO is perfect for hashtags, I need to start getting better at adding these to the pin.  Wondering how this is changing now that each pin also has a title as well?

Thank you!

Michele

3 Kudos
owlbbaking
Loves to help

That's a good point! I currently use my blog post title as the pin title, but it'd be interesting to find out what would be best for that in terms of SEO!

6 Kudos
heroine_nyc
Just visiting

I'd be interested to know that, too! I'm never sure what to put in the title and the description in terms of Pinterest SEO!

4 Kudos
schowachert
Just visiting

I also use hashtags and have found that the Pins with tags do get more engagement. Make sure your tags are relevant to the post, do some research on keywords that are commonly searched for the main point of the Pin.

3 Kudos
fashionayasha
Just visiting

I had also initially assumed that hashtags were not helpful. Until I tested the ideas of using them. I then found it to dramatically impact the traffic and sales. 

2 Kudos