10 Tips for Creating Idea Pins for the Creator Rewards Program

terezatoledo
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Hello PBC friends!

Are you feeling lost when it comes to creating Idea Pins for the Pinterest Creator Rewards Program?

I’ve been there. My name is Tereza Toledo, a Pinterest Pioneer and expert. I’ve been following the rewards program, creating content, submitting to the program and have been successful with getting pins approved.

I would love to help you become more confident when creating Ideas Pins. What I’m going to share with you are 10 things that I’ve observed and helped me create Idea Pins that got approved successfully.

Can I share them with you? If you said yes, keep reading!

1. Read through the terms of service, best pin practices, and each and every goal before you start to create your Idea Pins for this program. If you are creating Idea Pins for your audience, without being concerned with submitting them, you can still follow these tips, but you may have more flexibility. In order for your submitted Idea Pin to be approved, you must follow these guidelines.
  2. Keep an open mind. Even though there are guidelines in place, the program is still in development and Pinterest reserves the right to change things as needed.
  3. Create original content. If you have already created Idea Pins with certain images or videos, new idea pins with the same assets won’t be considered original. If you are recreating an idea that you shared before, make sure that it looks new and fresh. The best option is to always use new images and videos. If you really want to reuse content already created, think about ways of revamping them, making those assets look new.
  4. Use images, videos and music that you have the rights to use and distribute. Even though some creators have purchased rights to certain digital assets, or are using assets that are public domain, it may be hard for Pinterest to know this and approve your pin right away. To bypass this, focus on creating Idea Pins with videos and images that you've created. Feel free to use your own voice and use music from the Pinterest app library.
  5. Go the extra mile. When creating Idea Pins for this program, put in a little more effort. Give value, inspire, share an idea. Create Idea Pins with the best visual and sound quality you can. Pay attention to the text overlay, make it look good. I don’t mean that you need to edit professionally, but just spend a few extra minutes when creating. If the output you've created is something that you wouldn’t stop the scroll and watch, you should put more effort into it. Fuzzy videos, cropped text overlay and other things can decrease your engagement.
  6. Break it down into more pages or slides. Some goals already mention that single page Idea Pins don’t qualify. Instead of just making a teaser or cramming your idea into one page/slide, break it down into more slides. Each Idea Pin gets up to 20 pages of 60 seconds each. You don’t have to use really short-form video here. Use as many pages as you need to tell your story or share your ideas. Find a balance between too short and too long.
  7. Ideally create content specifically for the program. Try creating on Pinterest first and then repurposing to other platforms. Just because your videos perform well on other platforms, it doesn't mean they will do just as well on Pinterest. If you are repurposing content that you previously published on other platforms, make sure to remove the watermark and not use the music that came with it. Make your videos and images look fresh and not repurposed. Actually, this is a best practice to follow at all times. Publishing content that has other platforms watermarks looks unpolished.
  8. Try to create a cover page using a video that shows the final result of your idea. Use text overlay to tell Pinners what the pin is about and why they should stop and watch. Feel free to add stickers or emojis for extra fun. Using keywords while creating the text overlay will help more people discover your pin, which is powerful, especially when submitting pins for saves!
  9. Don’t skip the pin title, notes (ingredients/supplies), choosing a board to pin and tags. This will help Pinterest show your pin to more pinners and will also give more value to your audience. Use a CTA (call-to-action) in your text or final slide. Tell pinners what you'd like them to do, such as "follow me for more", "save this for later" or "share your take".
  10. Have fun while doing it. Don't just create content thinking about the payout only, even if that’s your final goal. Getting paid for your content is fabulous, but having fun while doing it is what will keep you going!

I hope this is helpful and would love to hear your own tips! 

If you are struggling with coming up with content ideas, let me know and I'll drop another article!

Tereza Toledo - Pinterest Expert terezatoledo.com
35 Kudos
44 Replies
terezatoledo
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Thanks @aloniebeauty !!!

0 Kudos
corriellington
Posts regularly

These are great tips! Thanks for sharing @terezatoledo 🔆!

Please follow me on Pinterest ❤
1 Kudo
terezatoledo
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Thanks @corriellington !

0 Kudos
cordialgreeter
Posts regularly

@terezatoledo  do you have any weekly trends that are being searched? I found those to be helpful vs the overall "pinterest trends" that do not seem to change much. They were being shared on a couple of weeks in a row and that was great. Thank you for all the info. you offer to share. 

2 Kudos
mamalatinatips
Just visiting

Thank you @terezatoledo very informative. Just one thing, I thought you cannot say "save this for later" unless I'm wrong. 🙂

1 Kudo
pattyskloset
Just visiting

Thank you so much for these tips @terezatoledo ❤️🙏🏽. For #9, I always wondered if adding "key words" in the notes section, does that help your pin get more seen or that doesn't really matter much?

3 Kudos
terezatoledo
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Thanks @pattyskloset !
For #9, write your notes using your main keywords. Don't just bundle them, but actually use them as part in the sentences written.

So far, I've been in 3 different creators events by Pinterest where we were told that what is added to the notes area is also used by Pinterest to understand the content better. Which mean, yes for using keywords when writing your notes content.

3 Kudos
terezatoledo
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Hi @mamalatinatips !
You are welcome!
So far there isn't anything saying that we should not use "save for later" or "save this idea". 

0 Kudos
terezatoledo
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Hi @cordialgreeter !

You can check for trends using the trends tool  provided by Pinterest. I also receive emails from Pinterest with the trends of week/month and @PinterestJoan shares them in the Business Chat.

0 Kudos
DreamLeggings
Just visiting

Thanks for these great tips! Since you’re also an iPhone user, maybe you can help me… I’m noticing a lot of my idea pins & videos on Pinterest (as well as Instagram/FB reels too) are super blurry, like really bad resolution. After reading up on many google searches, apparently it’s a known issue for most iPhone users who are recording in higher resolutions (4K, HDR, etc).

Here’s the best explanation of what’s exactly going on with Apple… https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252139048

I first noticed this after sending a short video via group text message to my family.. none of them could barely see it- just a bad blurry blobby video! On my iPhone it looks just fine, but not to anyone else! So I’m worried this is why my online videos are looking so bad! Would love to hear your take on this! Thanks again! 

Jen Kidd

DreamLeggings.com

1 Kudo