Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

What is Pinterest doing to deal with stolen pins?

nourishnestle
Posts regularly

I'd love to hear how Pinterest is planning to deal with the ever-increasing stolen pins on Pinterest? I'd rather spend my time making new content than tracking down stolen pins, yet, I find that I have to set aside hours to do just that.  

4 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ddworx0212
Just visiting

what is a stolen pin - how does a pin get stolen?  my habit is to publish pics I like from others' boards to some of mine. is that stealing?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AmericanoCrystals
Problem-solver

Hello!

Unfortunately this is a huge problem for me too. I found this article from Tailwind while looking for solutions: https://blog.tailwindapp.com/how-to-report-stolen-pins-on-pinterest/

I hope it helps 🙂  Sophia

1 Kudo
typicallytopical
Loves to help

Following! I feel you on this one! I have a second account where I make recipes and creative crafts for kids etc. Some of my blog posts/images take hours to create, if not days, so it's incredibly disheartening to see when someone's stolen the pins, and redirected it to a spam website.

What I don't understand though is how the spam pins sometimes rank higher than the original content. Seen this in lots of cases, not just my own. 

Pinterest seem really on the ball when it comes to removing the content i.e. when you've filed a DMCA. Usually get taken down within 24-48 hours.

But, it would be amazing to see something that automatically detects those spammy links and stops them from being posted altogether. Or, recognises that the same image exists but on a different domain so needs some kind of review to check it's not malicious, and leads to a real post.

- Charl 🙂

3 Kudos
therealsouthamerica
Jack-of-all-trades
0 Kudos
nourishnestle
Posts regularly

@typicallytopical It does seem that Pinterest should have the wherewithall to detect repeat images that lead to a site which is not the original site. I mean, they don't want us repeatedly pinning the same image and encourage us to pin new/original images. If they can detect if we are repeat pinning, then they should be able to flag those images and detect which ones are not directed to the original site. 

3 Kudos
PinterestJanice
Pinterest Alum
Pinterest Alum

Our official stance is that we’re constantly working to fight spam on our platform. If you come across a Pin, comment, or message that you believe breaks these rules, you can report it. Our team will evaluate this Pin and may downrank that Pin so it’s not seen by other users, you may still be able to see the Pin using your original link even if it’s not being seen by other users.

Unfortunately, there are bad actors on every platform where content is created. You can play a part in helping us combat this behavior by reporting the pin you've identified as a stolen image. There absolutely are other methods we employ, but manual reports are reviewed by a team for action.  

1 Kudo
ddworx0212
Just visiting

what is a stolen pin - how does a pin get stolen?  my habit is to publish pics I like from others' boards to some of mine. is that stealing?

0 Kudos
theburntsunsetnovel
Loves to help

I put my logo on most of my pins. I've seen the logo cropped off and the pin reused. Occasionally my own stolen pin will come back to me as a recommendation in my home feed. Generally speaking because of the amount of effort it takes to fill out a report, I only report pins that go to suspicious websites. Anything that I have reported has been acted on really quickly by Pinterest.

1 Kudo
therealsouthamerica
Jack-of-all-trades

@theburntsunsetnovel  @PinterestJanice Hi there I have had similar problems with images I have purchased from Adobe and Unsplash through Squarespace.

This is why I posed the question to everyone about a type of Tag system - Please see below - I would love to know your thoughts.

"

Hello - So, I have read a lot from different Pinners on theft of content et al. and clearly its a problem.

I was wondering what all of you think about Pinterest providing some sort of 'Tag' (visually nice) that says this pin is original content created by this pinner and the 'Tag' makes it impossible for the person who is trying to use the pin to use it without the 'Tag'. The 'Tag' never goes away and always stays with the pin in addition to not allowing the Pin to be downloaded or some other measure that doesn't allow the pinner to make changes.

I hope I said that right? What are your thoughts? I have had a similar issue and I pay for all of my images from Adobe and Unsplash (vast money) as per Adobe you must add a Copyright to the photo before using it on your site et al. which I do but that doesn't seem to be enough to stop people hmmmmm.

Love to hear your thoughts!

Lisa😁"

0 Kudos
theburntsunsetnovel
Loves to help

I like it. I frequent the author forums on Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing and they seem to have a solid way to protect digital rights by searching new novels for plagerism. YouTube has solid protections as well for music. I'm sure other platforms have figured it out too. I'm not sure why there isn't as a more robust system on this platform. Maybe there is and we're just not seeing it.

0 Kudos