Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

How do you use Pinterest to drive traffic to your website?

michaelbliss
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer
Labels (3)

Hi everyone! How do you use Pinterest to drive traffic to your website? How do you measure results, and what lessons have you learning along the way? I would love to hear from you!

@directallied @thepersianknot @whirlspot @lauramarieplesa @ColorSpaceStudio @gentleyoga4everyone @Kontentsia @hellohomegirl @littleboxofrandom  Any tips you would like to share?

27 Kudos
45 Replies
hostesstori
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

In addition to everything shared above, I look monthly at the content breakout in the analytics section. Specifically, I look at what Standard Pins got the most impressions, engagement and outbound clicks.

For the Pins that had highest impressions & engagement that month, but that didn't lead to significant clicks, I like to optimize those Pins. So, I will redesign them and see if I can get the clicks. 

For the Pins that drove the most clicks that month, I will do more versions of those to keep the momentum going.

26 Kudos
jenvazquezmedia
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

@jeswes , we’re playing “tag” in order to hear from more members! Feel free to jump in and share your thoughts. 

8 Kudos
DarkStarLeo
Just visiting

Hello, everyone I’ve new and I’ve noticed with my instagram and TikTok I’ve noticed that hashtags and short posts help

7 Kudos
jenvazquezmedia
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

@californiapointe What an amazing outlook you have.  The lesson of trial and error and learning what works and what doesn't is so helpful for any marketing you do.  Bravo!!

7 Kudos
jenvazquezmedia
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

@michaelbliss This is an amazing question!  I look at my analytics on Pinterest once a week and since I'm using it for marketing, I like to filter my results by my website and view the pin clicks and outbound clicks.  I like to see them moving in an upward trajectory but it's not always perfect. 

I also look at Google analytics to see what their numbers are.  There will never match perfectly, but I like to judge my social media platforms and which ones work the best to consider my time allocation for the next month.  (FYI Pinterest is always the highest for me so it's my favorite social platform).

8 Kudos
qquueennhhaarrppeerr
Just visiting

I am also a jewelry designer and am using Pinterest to drive traffic to my website, but like you said, it is very slow. 

5 Kudos
healthwithshannon
Just visiting

For the first 6 months of using Pinterest I didn't receive much traction- however, now that I've kept up with it majority of my website views come through Pinterest! I've been able to grow my email list, grow my following, and all around get more eyes on my business by remaining consistent, posting regularly, and providing information that goes back to my website! 

11 Kudos

Love this question!  Pinterest is a long-term strategy for driving traffic, so pins you post now, might not take off for 3-6 months or even a year.  I have pins from 9 months ago taking off right now.  The best way to use Pinterest to drive traffic to your website is to create value content.  Have blog posts, videos, or podcasts on your website which help solve a pinners problem.  Then create pins leading those posts.  I tend to create 5+ pins for each post.  Then I stay consistent with pinning about 10 min a day, 5 days a week, and slowly the traffic starts to grow.  

To measure results, I look at it 2 ways.  At the end of the month I see what pins have taken off, what pinners are looking for and use that info to develop more content for them.  Then I also look at the previous years results for that same month to see how I grew from that month last year.  Pinterest traffic can vary since it's seasonal at times, so it's best to compare March results from previous March years.  I hope this helps 🙂 

17 Kudos
Craftyservings
Just visiting

I drive traffic to my Etsy shop by idea pins by showing pictures of the finished kit that I make.  I have to get more consistent but I have gotten some sales this way.

7 Kudos
kiddycharts
Just visiting

Hi there @michaelbliss - interesting question. I have always used Pinterest to drive traffic to my site, and used to get loads of visitor from my pins. I create static pins for all my articles and occasionally use idea pins for wider topics as well. I try and stay on season for the pins I pin, as well as sharing content that is relevant all year round. My pins are visual, have text on to explain what the articles / resources are, and also a call to action, sometimes in the form of a button. I do get regular traffic but it is no where near as much as it used to be 3-4 years ago. It is so much harder to get seen on there, and I do feel like Pinterest don't want people to leave their site to find inspiration as much, they probably want you to find the inspo on the pin rather than on my site?

7 Kudos