Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

January metric update has arrived

PinterestJanice
Pinterest Alum
Pinterest Alum
Labels (2)

pinterest_finals_1_v2 1.png

Hi PBC! We have information and a little extra detail for our members on the January metric update that rolls out today. 

Creators come to Pinterest to reach new audiences, grow their following and drive traffic. Many Creators rely on data to optimize their content strategy to meet their objectives, doubling down on what works. To help Creators thrive, today we are launching several updates to our metrics to give a more robust understanding of performance on Pinterest, unlocking powerful new insights to help you find success. 

Let’s dive into what’s new with this update and what it means for your content on Pinterest. Then we’ll share more info around a few questions you might have top of mind after reading.

• Updates to Key Metrics: We strive to offer more granularity and insights with a precise focus on your published Pins. To help with this, we’re updating the terminology for some metrics on Pinterest and introducing new metrics. You can find the information on our Help Center here. Also, we’re making interface updates to make it easier to understand and track performance.
  • New Profile Metric: We’re introducing a new metric, “monthly views,” (where you used to find monthly viewers) on all business profiles. Monthly views represent the number of impressions, or times your Pins were on screen, in the last 30 days. This includes Pins you’ve published as well as Pins others have saved from your claimed domain or accounts (YT, Etsy, IG, and verified domains).
  • Removing Saved Content (fka repins) in Analytics: Saved Pins are others’ Pins you’ve curated by saving them to boards on Pinterest. This update removes Saved Content from the default filters this may mean your numbers look different after this change. Don’t worry, the data for Pins that you've saved to your accounts will still be available by selecting “Include Saved Pins” in Analytics graph filters

We believe these critical updates provide you with an even better understanding of your published content’s reach. 

You frequently hear that publishing high-quality, inspiring content is the single best way to build your audience. But what does that mean? 

To learn more about what is considered high-quality, inspiring content, see here

Which metric should I be tracking: followers or monthly views?

Both! Defining success on Pinterest isn’t one size fits all — every Creator and Business has different goals, so we don’t recommend zeroing in on one specific metric to gauge your impact. With that said, we encourage a focus on building and engaging with your audience on Pinterest; a few metrics that can signal you are doing well with that objective include (but aren't limited to) Followers, Monthly Views, Impressions, and Pin Clicks. Here are two resources to help you get started, Creator Newsletter and How to Make Pins.

Overall we want you to know we’re always listening to your feedback and are committed to being as transparent as possible when our teams make significant updates. This is our first opportunity since the PBC launch to do this, and it’s only been able to happen because you’ve generously donated your time to share your insights, feedback, and opinions. 

Feel free to ask us any questions.

6 Kudos
5 Replies
thehalcyonhive
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Thanks for sharing this @PinterestJanice ! 

I'm trying to wrap my head around it still and just need some clarification to see if I understand correctly.

In the help doc it says:
"Pin clicks will represent when people click on your Pin to learn more. We’re adjusting the definition of Pin clicks so that it only counts the total number of clicks on your Pin. Sideswipes that lead into a focused view of your Pin will no longer be included in this definition, but they will be counted as impressions going forward."

So is this how I understand it.  Please correct me if I'm wrong! 🙂
1. One tap on a pin is considered Pin Click (whether it's organic and it leads to a closeup or a 1-tap promoted pin that takes them to the destination URL)

2. When someone is on a closeup of a pin (on mobile) and swipes to view other pins and comes across one of your pins, this is an Impression (no longer considered a 'close up' even though they are on a close-up view of the pin)

3. An Outbound Click is counted when they click and it takes them off the Pinterest platform

The other area I am a little hazy about is comparing "link clicks" and "outbound clicks" between organic and paid metrics.  Since a promoted pin clicks through on one tap, it'll report it as a "link click" AND an "outbound click"?  Or does it only measure the outbound click if the user is on the page long enough for it to load and fire the pixel (like how GA measures "sessions")?  At least that's how I am understanding it.  

Thank you for your clarification!

2 Kudos
mypureplants
Just visiting

I noticed that the "See more stats" on individual Pin level has also been changed and now I can see the Impressions, Pin Clicks, Outbound Clicks etc stats on day by day which is really helpful. Now this brings me to the big question mark as now it is revealed (what I've only suspected beforehand) that basically all of my new pins are only getting impressions (8-10k) for the very first day when it is published and then it dies down immediately. Whereas the older ones (1-2 yrs) are getting steady impressions + clicks. Am I missing something?? I try to accommodate all the given recommendations (fresh pins + urls) when it comes to pin creation....but still no real result for the efforts.

1 Kudo
hellodebbieroy
Just visiting

Amazing, thank you for sharing! 

1 Kudo
simplepinmedia
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Thank you for this! I may be back with questions 😁

-Tabby

1 Kudo
thehalcyonhive
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

I had a question about "other pins" under the Claimed Accounts filter in the analytics.   See this post: Question about the new analytics 

0 Kudos