Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Tik Tok branded videos appearing on Pinterest

theburntsunsetnovel
Loves to help

Why are recycled Tik Tok branded videos treated as fresh pins and seemingly given priority? If I wanted to watch Tik Tok videos, I'd get an account over there. Should content  blatantly taken from a social media platform and posted on Pinterest be permissible? Seems to me like this is the same thing as a stolen pin, but the theft is occurring from another site. What is Pinterest doing to stop this? Or do they actually want this to happen?

Chris

theburntsunsetnovel 

2 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tinycraft
Posts regularly

There was a thread about this 1-2 days ago in the US creator community forum: https://community.pinterest.biz/t5/community-chat/tiktok-videos-on-pinterest-vs-fresh-story-pins/td-...

Pinterest team replied that they are now aware of the issue (Tik Tok videos dominate feeds depending on the niche) & are looking into it.

EDIT: Oh and about the music copyright stuff. Yea true, right now music can be used on Pinterest without having the rights to it. In the app when creating stories you can select from a music library now, so I wonder if long-term Pinterest will have licensing agreements with music companies, like Instagram or Tik Tok. But copyright is a gray-ish area on Pinterest anyway, as one of the core things about the platform is saving stuff from anywhere on the web.

View solution in original post

2 Kudos
9 Replies
pinperfectstudios
Just visiting

Hi Chris,

I've been in social media marketing for years and have seen tiktok rise from day one. It's actually a super powerful duo to mix the virality of tiktok videos with the seo power of pinterest. Pinterest is meant to be a place to find inspirations and resources and TikTok has been that for people in video format. People find diys, tutorials, travel inspiration, recipes, etc on Tik Tok. Tik tok doesn't currently have a place to organize those videos (like Pinterest has boards) so many people turned to saving them in their pinterest boards. I also know it helps them get more views on tiktok because Pinterest search is so strong so if someone searches for "travel inspiration" they'll find that account's tiktok video. 

It's a win win, Pinterest gets more quality video content and Tik Tok gets more views. 

As far as which are given priority on Pinterest, currently it's any quality videos OR Pinterest Stories. Not necessarily Tik Tok videos but any quality videos.  

4 Kudos
katherinebillit
Just visiting

Totally agree @pinperfectstudios ! Adding Tiktoks that still fit my account's brand has helped a lot with increasing my audience engagement. As long as they are high quality and make sense with your account's content, I 120% recommend anyone to add Tiktoks to their content releases.

0 Kudos
theburntsunsetnovel
Loves to help

@pinperfectstudios Do you use Tik Tok on your Pinterest feed? How does it fit in with your brand?

0 Kudos
theburntsunsetnovel
Loves to help

@katherinebillit @pinperfectstudios 

I'm also wondering how Pinterest deals with the copyright issues for the music. Tik Tok pays royalties to the original creators of the music. Does Pinterest do this? If Pinterest doesn't, anyone who shares a Tik Tok video with music would be in violation of DCMA. 

0 Kudos
tinycraft
Posts regularly

There was a thread about this 1-2 days ago in the US creator community forum: https://community.pinterest.biz/t5/community-chat/tiktok-videos-on-pinterest-vs-fresh-story-pins/td-...

Pinterest team replied that they are now aware of the issue (Tik Tok videos dominate feeds depending on the niche) & are looking into it.

EDIT: Oh and about the music copyright stuff. Yea true, right now music can be used on Pinterest without having the rights to it. In the app when creating stories you can select from a music library now, so I wonder if long-term Pinterest will have licensing agreements with music companies, like Instagram or Tik Tok. But copyright is a gray-ish area on Pinterest anyway, as one of the core things about the platform is saving stuff from anywhere on the web.

2 Kudos
theburntsunsetnovel
Loves to help

@tinycraft thanks so much for pointing out the other thread. I'm glad it's got Pinterest's attention. I'm going to mark this as solved because the other thread is ongoing. Thx.

1 Kudo
pinperfectstudios
Just visiting

I use it personally for those things I mentioned, I save recipes from tiktok on my "Recipes" board and travel locations to my travel board.

That said, I also manage Pinterest business accounts and one of my clients went viral on TikTok and launched an ecommerce brand through it so we took her most popular tiktok videos, added some SEO to them, and shared them on her Pinterest. It really helped her views grow in all areas, Pinterest Impressions, Pinterest referrals to her site, and tiktok views.

Tik Tok is the same as Pinterest in that there is every topic there so it's all about finding the same niche. 

1 Kudo
tariqultareq018

Hi @pinperfectstudios Can I just download & use any TikTok videos as my Pinterest story? Isn't there any copyright issue? I will start creating stories on Pinterest using TikTok videos from others. Let me know if it's allowed on Pinterest. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
PinterestRenato
Pinterest Alum
Pinterest Alum

Hi everyone, this is a good topic going on here!

@tariqultareq018, you can check our article about copyright, but if this is not enough and you have more specific questions, don't hesitate to file a ticket to our support team so they can provide you with more precise information. 😊

I hope it helps!

0 Kudos