Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Story pin best practices: times & quantity

theburntsunsetnovel
Loves to help

I've been running experiments on stories, seeing what the best time is for me to pin them. Are story pins live across the US now or is still just a select number of pinners? I am trying to figure out if there were a lot of stories out tonight or if there is a law of diminishing returns on stories.

Typical impressions lately for my story pins have been 12K a night. (I have 2.2 followers and an audience of 700K.) My all-time high for a story pin was 18K a week ago. If I run two stories in one day I average around 6.5K for each. I noticed the story I posted tonight had 120 impressions. That's about a 99% drop from my average. I ran a story this morning (4.4K) and this afternoon (6.7K) looking for best times. I suppose if you add up the three stories I did today, you get close to my average. For me anyways, 5PM eastern USA seems to be my best time. Tomorrow I'll just run one story at 5PM and check the stats. It's my intention to only run one story a day or every couple days because of the effort involved. But I'm wondering if anyone else has discovered a best time to pin stories or law of diminishing returns. 

4 Kudos
5 Replies
PinterestGabby
Community Manager
Community Manager

Love that you're running experiments on this! Thanks for sharing all these nuggets of info. I'm a data nerd so love seeing those stats 🤓. I wonder if other folks have thoughts or are conducting their own testing...

@coolchillmom@AmericanoCrystals , @faithfilledinfl@allaboutbabyblog

3 Kudos
allaboutbabyblog
Loves to help

Yeah I feel like story pins get more impressions however I haven't used them much yet (mainly because they dont include links for people to click trough). So I can't tell for sure 🤔

I'll keep an eye on my stats too 🙂 

I can tell that people look for July 4th stuff right now though 😉 

2 Kudos
coolchillmom
Posts regularly

Well, I haven't done that many stories because I haven't seen an increase of followers which is the point of the stories, I understand.

My figures seen to be higher in terms of pinning when the story has been viewed less.  So not sure if that just means I am reaching a more invested audience even if I have story pins with more views.

Still not sold on story pins.  Seems that my rich pins is what helps my business best as they do deliver the traffic to my site.

1 Kudo
AmericanoCrystals
Problem-solver

hey! @theburntsunsetnovel  Yeah I noticed the same as well. Thanks for sharing! 

0 Kudos
theburntsunsetnovel
Loves to help

What I've noticed this week after a broad release of Pinterest stories is an overall reduction in story impressions but that the stories tends to live longer. Poor results off at the start of a story don't necessarily mean a low impression count. I can't tell if this is a lag in reporting or not but my story from two nights ago had less than a thousand impressions to start. Today the same story is up to 6K. Either way, stories are still being given higher priority or distribution at the moment than regular pins.

1 Kudo